Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    First of all, the crashing of Miami and Florida State is a huge reason. Then you add in that Va Tech slipped some. Clemson has risen to the top as that was going on, but the league went from 3 premiere programs to only one.

As for the stadiums...it's not the stadiums per se. It's the lack of fans to fill them...so many private schools...and even Pitt and Syracuse are kind of quasi private...and Miami is fully private, in addition to Duke, WF, BC and so on. T
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Isn't Syracuse actually, fully private? (Tho one of the better private draws not named SC or Notre Dame...)
    Pitt is publicly funded but independently run, although once was totally private:
    In 1966 the state designated Pitt as a state-related university, which allows it to receive public funds (currently more than $160 million per year). This allows the university to offer reduced tuition to Pennsylvania residents, but it remains under independent control. Pitt is typically listed as a public university.
    Syracuse is fully private -- as are BC, Duke, Wake, and Miami -- and let's not forget Notre Dame.

HBCK may be thinking of Cornell, which is charmingly listed as a "public and statutory Ivy League research university." Statutory as in land-grant college; it qualifies for public funding -- I always thought it was the ag school.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Pitt is publicly funded but independently run, although once was totally private:

Syracuse is fully private -- as are BC, Duke, Wake, and Miami -- and let's not forget Notre Dame.

HBCK may be thinking of Cornell, which is charmingly listed as a "public and statutory Ivy League research university." Statutory as in land-grant college; it qualifies for public funding -- I always thought it was the ag school.
    Actually, I had Googled something a couple years ago that said Cuse was semi or quasi public/private...but I don't remember the source, and I'll trust you on that. It is apparently private. Interestingly, and ironically, Cuse as a private school has a pretty good amount of "University of " cred for much of NY State...owing to their name and location in a professional heavy state...while Pitt has absolutely zero in Nittany Lion dominated Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Actually, I had Googled something a couple years ago that said Cuse was semi or quasi public/private...but I don't remember the source, and I'll trust you on that. It is apparently private. Interestingly, and ironically, Cuse as a private school has a pretty good amount of "University of " cred for much of NY State...owing to their name and location in a professional heavy state...while Pitt has absolutely zero in Nittany Lion dominated Pennsylvania.
    Hah! The history as written in Wikipedia is that Syracuse was interested in becoming NY's "land-grant" university, but withdrew in favor of Cornell after receiving some big bucks from Ezra Cornell himself. BTW, the litigious history of Syracuse U., especially in the early years -- makes me think that New York stat has always been thus.

I mean, Wash Duke moved Trinity College from Randolph County to a new campus on the site of the Durham race track and no one seems to have objected.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Isn't Syracuse actually, fully private?
    New York's state forestry school was part of Syracuse for a long time. It appears that it no longer officially is, but is it still on the Syracuse campus and has a "special relationship" with Syracuse. I am not clear what is meant by "special relationship".

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    New York's state forestry school was part of Syracuse for a long time. It appears that it no longer officially is, but is it still on the Syracuse campus and has a "special relationship" with Syracuse. I am not clear what is meant by "special relationship".
    Good hunting there, TZD. Here's some detail--

The New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University was established in 1911 through a bill signed by New York Governor John Alden Dix. The previous year, Governor Hughes had vetoed a bill authorizing such a college.[8] Both bills followed the state's defunding in 1903 of the New York State College of Forestry at Cornell. Originally a unit of Syracuse University, in 1913, the College was made a separate, legal entity.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    It’s a school “with benefits” I am told by my teenager.