Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Metal Music

Metallica is one of my all-time favorites. I’m not sure it’s possible to listen to “One”, without headbanging. I was in San Francisco for a summer internship when they recorded S&M. Unfortunately, I had no clue they were doing it. Talk about a missed opportunity. The black album (officially titled Metallica) was pretty influential in my youth. The intro to “Enter Sandman” still gets me every time. I listen to the “Metallica” station on pandora when I work out. It’s pretty much the perfect work out music.

White/Rob Zombie is a bit of a guilty pleasure too.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That is what amazes me about their live shows. They are so tight, that what they play on stage could easily be mistaken for a studio production. Not to say they don't put on a great performance, they do...but if you closed your eyes you could assume they were playing a CD over the sound system.
    Tool playing live in Raleigh Nov 24. Tickets went on sale Friday I think or something like that.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/tool-tickets/artist/720703

I can't go this time but I've seen them (Lateralus tour). I work Monday in Winston so Sunday night in Raleigh is not happening. But I hope some of you can!

New album is Fear Inoculum

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Metallica is one of my all-time favorites. I’m not sure it’s possible to listen to “One”, without headbanging. I was in San Francisco for a summer internship when they recorded S&M. Unfortunately, I had no clue they were doing it. Talk about a missed opportunity. The black album (officially titled Metallica) was pretty influential in my youth. The intro to “Enter Sandman” still gets me every time. I listen to the “Metallica” station on pandora when I work out. It’s pretty much the perfect work out music.
    I wanted so badly to get "Master of Puppets" or "One" put on in Cameron during a timeout or two during my senior year. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I wanted so badly to get "Master of Puppets" or "One" put on in Cameron during a timeout or two during my senior year. Alas, it was not meant to be.
    Why not Zombie Nation?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Hard to believe that Black Sabbath is held with such reverence today. Having been around when they first came out, the hot band in NYC high schools at that time was Grand Funk Railroad. Just how hot was GFR? Well they broke the Beatles record for selling out Shea Stadium, that's how popular they were.

Today, Black Sabbath is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and are widely credited with creating heavy metal music, while the only way GFR is getting into the HoF is if they buy a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Hard to believe that Black Sabbath is held with such reverence today. Having been around when they first came out, the hot band in NYC high schools at that time was Grand Funk Railroad. Just how hot was GFR? Well they broke the Beatles record for selling out Shea Stadium, that's how popular they were.

Today, Black Sabbath is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and are widely credited with creating heavy metal music, while the only way GFR is getting into the HoF is if they buy a ticket.
    Grand Funk Railroad deserves it, I'm actually a little surprised to learn they weren't already inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Grand Funk Railroad deserves it, I'm actually a little surprised to learn they weren't already inducted.
    It is criminal that neither Little Feat nor Warren Zevon are in.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It is criminal that neither Little Feat nor Warren Zevon are in.
    So, I don't really follow the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but both of those surprise me too. Maybe I'm living in some weird music bubble? Or maybe we need to send laywers, guns, and money to get this HOF business settled.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Nobody has really mentioned Pantera. Are they metal? Should I take that plunge?
    Once again, thanks for all the advice and recommendations. My wife hates you all.
    Umm...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...98#post1182398

Pantera has a great catalog.
    "There can BE only one."

Rolling Stone arguing that Black Sabbath is the greatest metal band and
    the group most responsible for metal as the world knows it today
    https://apple.news/AyCa4lipVTaiwPueT7FiYqg

I listened to a ton of Zeppelin as well as the usual hard rocking classic rock bands in HS but I don’t find that or other forms of metal very interesting these days.

Alright all you metal heads - just announced May 1,2,3 2020 Epicenter Festival in Charlotte and they have convinced Metallica to play both Friday and Sunday nights, both full length headlining sets. Metallica twice in 3 days! I said it before in this thread if you have never seen them live you are missing out. This will be my 11th and 12th shows and it is always a truly incredible experience. There will be a ton of other bands announced next month but as a huge Metallica fan this is awesome news!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Alright all you metal heads - just announced May 1,2,3 2020 Epicenter Festival in Charlotte and they have convinced Metallica to play both Friday and Sunday nights, both full length headlining sets. Metallica twice in 3 days! I said it before in this thread if you have never seen them live you are missing out. This will be my 11th and 12th shows and it is always a truly incredible experience. There will be a ton of other bands announced next month but as a huge Metallica fan this is awesome news!
    Holy crap, that's a piece of cake from Atlanta. I veeeerrrrrrry well might be coming...

Back in this thread today, needing to burn off the angst of attempting to begin a new school year digitally, replete with today's 200-person strong Zoom kickoff, which is a delight in person but is positively depressing under quarantine.

Slayer is helping.

Had a very frustrating day at work.

Had about an hour and a half of weedeating to do this evening before we possibly get more storms tomorrow.

Put on my headphones under the noise cancelling muffs.

An hour and a half of Ministry, Metallica, Megadeth, White Zombie, Disturbed, NIN, Nirvana, etc. I was feeling much better.

Just thought I'd share...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Had a very frustrating day at work.

Had about an hour and a half of weedeating to do this evening before we possibly get more storms tomorrow.

Put on my headphones under the noise cancelling muffs.

An hour and a half of Ministry, Metallica, Megadeth, White Zombie, Disturbed, NIN, Nirvana, etc. I was feeling much better.

Just thought I'd share...
    Sometimes, there is no therapy better than driving fast while listening to music very loudly.

(Today it was Drive-By Truckers -- not metal, but it had the loud distorted cracking and screeching that hit the itch I had).

Lots of metal in my current rotation...must be the time of year to feel frayed and in need of a release!
    I'm especially into Judas Priest and Mastodon at the moment. I've also begun the plunge into Gojira's catalog. I like their high-concept songwriting and composition, and they're both rooted in classic metal tropes but also modern and have their own sound. Listening to the album "From Mars to Sirius" at the moment:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=goji...rome&ie=UTF-8#

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Lots of metal in my current rotation...must be the time of year to feel frayed and in need of a release!
    I'm especially into Judas Priest and Mastodon at the moment. I've also begun the plunge into Gojira's catalog. I like their high-concept songwriting and composition, and they're both rooted in classic metal tropes but also modern and have their own sound. Listening to the album "From Mars to Sirius" at the moment:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=goji...rome&ie=UTF-8#
    One of SonPK’s favorite albums.

So . . . Gojira in Asheville October 23rd (Saturday). SonPK and I just got tix. See y’all there, or for beers before/after!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So . . . Gojira in Asheville October 23rd (Saturday). SonPK and I just got tix. See y’all there, or for beers before/after!
    *Tips his cap* let's do it

Since this thread popped back up, I highly recommend checking out Weezer’s new album. Van Weezer is a fun homage to 80s metal. Ran across it accidentally this morning on Spotify and have listened to it three times through already.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block