Netflix Dark Crystal Age of Resistance

I can’t believe there’s not a thread for this new Netflix series.

Dark Crystal is just one of those movies that had a major impact on me.

I’m about halfway through the ten episodes.

The puppetry / cinematography is a breathtaking homage to the original.

The story to date hasn’t been super compelling, and yet it is still enjoyable to watch.

Anyone else watching it?

Nothing like an echo chamber 😀

I’d say Dark Crystal Age of Resistance suffers from some of the same problems as the new Star Wars trilogy- the inertia of memory.

Definitely some fun bits.
    I enjoyed it- at the risk of a mild spoiler, there is a new character that channels a particularly notable character from Star Wars.

If you are a huge fan of the Dark Crystal, this may be worth your time.

If not, you may be better served spending your time on other things.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My gf and I went to see Dark Crystal in the theater when it was re-released a couple of years ago. (One of those Fathom Events things.) I'd never seen it.
    I enjoyed it, but I could tell I would have liked it a lot better as a kid; it is one of those movies that did not seem to age well for me. Unlike the Muppets, who can be made to be full of emotion, the puppets in the Dark Crystal were lacking, and they still are today. We are watching the Netflix series, but I was so thrilled by the first one that I slept through half of it.
    At least they do add some CGI effects to the series, which helps update it. A little.

Side note, one of the cool things about the re-release was that the showed a behind the scenes feature. Did you know that when it was originally shot, the Skeksis had no dialogue? They just moaned and squeeled and made a bunch of horrible noises. Henson and company decided that they made no sense, and added the dialogue in the editing room.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Side note, one of the cool things about the re-release was that the showed a behind the scenes feature. Did you know that when it was originally shot, the Skeksis had no dialogue? They just moaned and squeeled and made a bunch of horrible noises. Henson and company decided that they made no sense, and added the dialogue in the editing room.
    I did not know that. Wise decision. Thanks for sharing!

I grew up with the Dark Crystal. Watched it recently, and thought it was enjoyable, but probably more enjoyable in, uh, Colorado if you know what I mean.