Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ymmm, Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Interesting, both of these were aged in Casks that used to hold wine and could be good choices for a wine drinker.
    Lots of people make this kind of suggestion, and I understand why, but personally, I wouldn't go there. You don't want to invite a direct comparison. Wine and spirits are quite different in how they are best consumed, what flavors they carry well, and most particularly in how they feel on the palate. You don't want someone looking for wine characteristics and being disappointed when they are just hints within the larger, sometimes overwhelming, flavor profile.

Many folks will like the wine-barrel versions later, once they know what to look for, but doing that right off the bat sets up the wrong expectations, IMO.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 02-26-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Lots of people make this kind of suggestion, and I understand why, but personally, I wouldn't go there. You don't want to invite a direct comparison. Wine and spirits are quite different in how they are best consumed, what flavors they carry well, and most particularly in how they feel on the palate. You don't want someone looking for wine characteristics and being disappointed when they are just hints within the larger, sometimes overwhelming, flavor profile.

Many folks will like the wine-barrel versions later, once they know what to look for, but doing that right off the bat sets up the wrong expectations, IMO.
    I think you'll find that the Breckenridge Port Cask Finish or PX Cask Finish -- if you can find it -- is a very smooth-drinking, flavorful bourbon that won't bite the palate too much for someone who's new to bourbon sipping. Might be that Rocky Mountain snowmelt water . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

Co-sign on this. I enjoy both red wine and bourbon very much, but do not at all care for the wine barrel aged bourbons - I don't find those two flavor profiles flatter each other.

One suggestion for someone new to bourbon would be Basil Hayden. I don't personally care for it because I think it is too smooth and lacks some of the heat I prefer in fuller bourbon, but for a newbie it could be a good way to get your feet wet on the basic flavor profile.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Co-sign on this. I enjoy both red wine and bourbon very much, but do not at all care for the wine barrel aged bourbons - I don't find those two flavor profiles flatter each other.

One suggestion for someone new to bourbon would be Basil Hayden. I don't personally care for it because I think it is too smooth and lacks some of the heat I prefer in fuller bourbon, but for a newbie it could be a good way to get your feet wet on the basic flavor profile.
    Along these lines a good start is a bourbon-based cocktail...Old Fashioned, Boulevardier, Manhattan. Especially for a wine drinker.

I have the pleasure to enjoy both .

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Interesting, both of these were aged in Casks that used to hold wine and could be good choices for a wine drinker.
    There are also a nice numbers of vintners who age their cabs and some chardonnays in bourbon barrels, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Angel's Envy if you can find it. Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel if you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Angel's Envy if you can find it. Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel if you can't.
    I'm a "Starter" when it comes to bourbon, "All ACC" when it comes to wine, and "All-American" when it comes to beer (Ymm, Beer! ), but I endorse this.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I'm a "Starter" when it comes to bourbon, "All ACC" when it comes to wine, and "All-American" when it comes to beer (Ymm, Beer! ), but I endorse this.
    Here, you’re a “member.”

Heh heh.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Here, you’re a “member.”

Heh heh.
    Is that the entry-level, single-spork name? Cuz that might be true.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Is that the entry-level, single-spork name? Cuz that might be true.
    No, I’m a member too.

Self-heh.

I had a duck fat washed bourbon cocktail tonight (delivered via a local restaurant). They flavored the cocktail with thyme, lemon verbena, and some simple syrup, which diluted some of the flavor from the duck fat, but it definitely gave the bourbon a more robust feel and some of the meat flavor in the finish. Would be interested in trying just the fat washed bourbon without the other flavors to compare to regular bourbon, but will have to find a time to do the washing. Apparently it’s pretty easy - put a tablespoon of rendered duck fat in a bottle of bourbon, stick it in the freezer overnight, then strain out the solidified fat.

Here, you’re a “member.”

Heh heh.
    Hell, I'm gonna suggest induction into the Ymm, Beer HoF for you.

Here, you’re a “member.”

Heh heh.
    My problem now is with re-member.

I had a duck fat washed bourbon cocktail tonight (delivered via a local restaurant). They flavored the cocktail with thyme, lemon verbena, and some simple syrup, which diluted some of the flavor from the duck fat, but it definitely gave the bourbon a more robust feel and some of the meat flavor in the finish. Would be interested in trying just the fat washed bourbon without the other flavors to compare to regular bourbon, but will have to find a time to do the washing. Apparently it’s pretty easy - put a tablespoon of rendered duck fat in a bottle of bourbon, stick it in the freezer overnight, then strain out the solidified fat.
    That's fascinating. Next thing, you know...

...bacon!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That's fascinating. Next thing, you know...

...bacon!!
    They do bacon fat washed whiskeys too. Same basic method.

They do bacon fat washed whiskeys too. Same basic method.
    Ok, some (many?) folks mock the many adjuncts used in beers; do bourbon "purists" do the same with the variously flavored bourbon?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I forgot this topic existed. So bourbon is an interesting dram for interesting people. You can get sucked into a rabbit hole searching for so called holy grails and allocated bourbons like Pappy's and Blanton's. In my opinion they are fine, but there are so many bourbons that take your pallet for a ride in the $60 and under price range (unlike scotch) that if you are not careful one can overspend on wishful thinking. If you are looking for what many refer to as "smooth" which really translates to approachable, or friendly, you are generally looking for wheated offerings like Larceny, Bulleit, and Makers Mark.

My favorites include Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, and Old Forester 1920 - Prohibition Style. Knob is liquid peanut brittle. You may not always be in the mood for that, but when you are Yummmm! Eagle Rare and 1920 have a similar taste profiles to me in that there are some dark fruit notes almost like jam at 100 and 118 proof respectively. Some folks think they taste like cough syrup. I can't completely disagree, but then I have always enjoyed cough syrup. Is that weird? Many bourbons do have a Ludens cough drop profile.

I like some ryes, but not overpowering ones. In other words I like ryes that taste more like bourbons. Alberta Premium is ridiculously good, but beware - it is a soul rocking 132 proof. Have it as your second (and last) dram after getting your pallet warm with a 100 proof offering of your choice. Good old Wild Turkey 101 is a fine option that never disappoints. It is an orange, cherry, cinnamon bomb, so you do have to be in the mood for it. (Like being in the mood for Red Hots) That is why it is nice to have several options on the shelf. Even individually it is hard to have a favorite because what you taste can be affected by what you last ate, or what you are eating. what you smell, or just time of day or mood, etc.

I will end with this. Old Forester Rye is to me the best bang in for the buck (about $25) in the whiskey (not whisky) world. It is a rye, but it is never disappoints with its chocolate, butterscotch, caramel, journey it takes you through from nose, to pallet to long, warm 100 proof finish. Just delicious. It was available everywhere all the time last year. Now it has disappeared. Another allocated whiskey. Great. Oh well, Old Forester Signature bourbon at 100 proof only runs about $25 and it is as good as most. My point is you can enjoy bourbon without spending a fortune. Experiment with some pricier options from time to time, but try to order just a pour at a tavern instead of buying an entire bottle first. Some people are quite disappointed when they get home with there prized bottle of $300 or higher bourbon, find a quiet corner, have a few sips of certain heaven and think to themselves - really?

Okay one more note. All of the hard to find allocated bourbons get released in the fall. Look for them starting in October and lasting through the first half of December. I guess they figure people are buying gifts. Maybe, but some of us love running around town grabbing that one bottle of Henry McKenna which by the way is the perfect Fall/Winter bourbon because it has that hint of fireplace in it. Just a hint of smoke that is not at all unpleasant. Also keep in mind Henry McKenna 10 year was a second shelf dust collector before it was entered into the San Francisco Awards and won best bourbon in the world in I believe 2017 and best whiskey in the world of any type (that's right Scotch drinkers) in 2018. Now it is a special find. You never know. So don't turn your nose up at Evan Williams. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself to higher proofs. Your bourbon journey is unique. Have fun with it...and never be a snob. Everyone gets to play their way. Neat, rocks, mixed - it's all good.
    Last edited by Reddevil; 04-23-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I forgot this topic existed. So bourbon is an interesting dram for interesting people. You can get sucked into a rabbit hole searching for so called holy grails and allocated bourbons like Pappy's and Blanton's. In my opinion they are fine, but there are so many bourbons that take your pallet for a ride in the $60 and under price range (unlike scotch) that if you are not careful one can overspend on wishful thinking. If you are looking for what many refer to as "smooth" which really translates to approachable, or friendly, you are generally looking for wheated offerings like Larceny, Bulleit, and Makers Mark.

My favorites include Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, and Old Forester 1920 - Prohibition Style. Knob is liquid peanut brittle. You may not always be in the mood for that, but when you are Yummmm! Eagle Rare and 1920 have a similar taste profiles to me in that there are some dark fruit notes almost like jam at 100 and 118 proof respectively. Some folks think they taste like cough syrup. I can't completely disagree, but then I have always enjoyed cough syrup. Is that weird? Many bourbons do have a Ludens cough drop profile.

I like some ryes, but not overpowering ones. In other words I like ryes that taste more like bourbons. Alberta Premium is ridiculously good, but beware - it is a soul rocking 132 proof. Have it as your second (and last) dram after getting your pallet warm with a 100 proof offering of your choice. Good old Wild Turkey 101 is a fine option that never disappoints. It is an orange, cherry, cinnamon bomb, so you do have to be in the mood for it. (Like being in the mood for Red Hots) That is why it is nice to have several options on the shelf. Even individually it is hard to have a favorite because what you taste can be affected by what you last ate, or what you are eating. what you smell, or just time of day or mood, etc.

I will end with this. Old Forester Rye is to me the best bang in for the buck (about $25) in the whiskey (not whisky) world. It is a rye, but it is never disappoints with its chocolate, butterscotch, caramel, journey it takes you through from nose, to pallet to long, warm 100 proof finish. Just delicious. It was available everywhere all the time last year. Now it has disappeared. Another allocated whiskey. Great. Oh well, Old Forester Signature bourbon at 100 proof only runs about $25 and it is as good as most. My point is you can enjoy bourbon without spending a fortune. Experiment with some pricier options from time to time, but try to order just a pour at a tavern instead of buying an entire bottle first. Some people are quite disappointed when they get home with there prized bottle of $300 or higher bourbon, find a quiet corner, have a few sips of certain heaven and think to themselves - really?

Okay one more note. All of the hard to find allocated bourbons get released in the fall. Look for them starting in October and lasting through the first half of December. I guess they figure people are buying gifts. Maybe, but some of us love running around town grabbing that one bottle of Henry McKenna which by the way is the perfect Fall/Winter bourbon because it has that hint of fireplace in it. Just a hint of smoke that is not at all unpleasant. Also keep in mind Henry McKenna 10 year was a second shelf dust collector before it was entered into the San Francisco Awards and won best bourbon in the world in I believe 2017 and best whiskey in the world of any type (that's right Scotch drinkers) in 2018. Now it is a special find. You never know. So don't turn you nose up at Evan Williams. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself to higher proofs. Your bourbon journey is unique. Have fun with it...and never be a snob. Everyone gets to play their way. Neat, rocks, mixed - it's all good.
    Great summary. Thanks. Makes me look forward to our next trip to the KY Bourbon Trail when Covid is less than smoldering. We had a great time with our daughter and her husband in early/mid-March last year right before we "shut down."

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great summary. Thanks. Makes me look forward to our next trip to the KY Bourbon Trail when Covid is less than smoldering. We had a great time with our daughter and her husband in early/mid-March last year right before we "shut down."
    I have been waiting for the CDC to announce that bourbon is the cure! Wait. That would be less for me wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I have been waiting for the CDC to announce that bourbon is the cure! Wait. That would be less for me wouldn't it?
    Why wait? Get ahead of the game!