Thread: Ymmm, Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And I thought beer-hunting was:

a) amusing/fun
    b) an obsession
    c) a minor () inconvenience
    d) peculiarly rewarding/satisfying
    e) choose any/all the above

I've *never* hear of liquor "look-outs" before.

(all in good fun )

(do you deliver?)
    I don't really bourbon hunt, but it is definitely a thing. I have another friend that has every abc store from here to Virgina in speed dial and waits for them to open on delivery days. Dude has an impressive collection, bit it's sad in my book. They're depriving joe blow down the road from getting a bottle of bourbon that up until recently he could go get pretty much anytime.

The even sadder part, is that a lot of those guys are just doing it to sell it, which sucks for the casual drinker. Henry Mckenna ten year used to be as available as Maker's Mark, until it won awards a year or two ago. Now, it's being hoarded.

Edit: he's not really a friend. More of an aquantice. He wife works with my wife. He doesn't even like bourbon, he's just one of those guys that likes to collect things to show off, without appreciating the real value.

Rant over, I guess. Get off my lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I don't really bourbon hunt, but it is definitely a thing. I have another friend that has every abc store from here to Virgina in speed dial and waits for them to open on delivery days. Dude has an impressive collection, bit it's sad in my book. They're depriving joe blow down the road from getting a bottle of bourbon that up until recently he could go get pretty much anytime.

The even sadder part, is that a lot of those guys are just doing it to sell it, which sucks for the casual drinker. Henry Mckenna ten year used to be as available as Maker's Mark, until it won awards a year or two ago. Now, it's being hoarded.

Edit: he's not really a friend. More of an aquantice. He wife works with my wife. He doesn't even like bourbon, he's just one of those guys that likes to collect things to show off, without appreciating the real value.

Rant over, I guess. Get off my lawn?
    You're correct. That is kinda sad. I have a nice beer "collection" but always looking to share/trade with folks.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Reservoir Distillery. Drink local! Small batch bourbon, whiskey and rye. I’m having the bourbon tonight. 100 proof. All corn. Whiskey is all wheat, rye is all rye. Bourbon is all corn. 2017 bottle gifted from son. Really good, best of everything bourbon. The all corn mash makes it different in a good way.

Oh, look, there's even a Ymmm, Bourbon thread. All ya gotta do is try the search feature.

Since this thread was resurrected, allow me to put in a plug for Uncle Nearest. It's marketed as a Tennessee Whiskey, like Jack Daniel's. Named for the formerly enslaved man who taught Jack Daniel how to distill. Quite tasty.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Since this thread was resurrected, allow me to put in a plug for Uncle Nearest. It's marketed as a Tennessee Whiskey, like Jack Daniel's. Named for the formerly enslaved man who taught Jack Daniel how to distill. Quite tasty.
    There are a lot of bourbons/whiskeys with which I'm not familiar. I sampled Elijah Craig 125 and one of the Rabbit Hole products last year, courtesy of a son-in-law. Amazing products. (plus, apologies if the names are not quite correct )

Plug for Widow Jane and Angels Envy.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Plug for Widow Jane and Angels Envy.
    Angel’s Envy rocks. And is a great base for Manhattans and Old Fashions. Their rum barrel rye is outstanding too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Angel’s Envy rocks. And is a great base for Manhattans and Old Fashions. Their rum barrel rye is outstanding too.
    I can never find their rum barrel rye, damn Virginia ABC stores here never get the specialty stuff. Can’t even get Angels Envy routinely. Have to look it up and drive around.

Here's a question for this thread. If your wife, who's a red wine drinker, showed an interest in trying a few different bourbon's what would you have her try?

Note, this is not a hypothetical, she and I had this conversation just last night.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Here's a question for this thread. If your wife, who's a red wine drinker, showed an interest in trying a few different bourbon's what would you have her try?

Note, this is not a hypothetical, she and I had this conversation just last night.
    Here are a couple that I would highly recommend:

https://jeffersonsbourbon.com/jeffer...ritchard-hill/

https://breckenridgedistillery.com/s...x-cask-finish/

Maker's Mark

Woodford Reserve

(my knowledge is fairly limited here)

Not sure how much you're willing to spend on your dear, sweet bride, but this *might* be a reasonable starters list:

https://uproxx.com/life/best-bourbon...straight-2020/

Disclaimer: I know of some of these distilleries but have sampled none. I'd hope several might be available in your zip code and that this is not some fantasy "shotgun" list from the author.

Here's another list with the same disclaimer:

https://www.thebourbonbard.com/best-bourbons-under-50/

Sounds reasonable to me.

Maker's Mark

Woodford Reserve

(my knowledge is fairly limited here)
    My knowledge of bourbon is similarly fairly limited, but my wine knowledge is not. I would think I wine drinker would be mostly inclined to prefer "smooth" over "interesting" as those terms might be used by a bourbon-drinker. I'd lean Woodford Reserve Double Oak, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    My knowledge of bourbon is similarly fairly limited, but my wine knowledge is not. I would think I wine drinker would be mostly inclined to prefer "smooth" over "interesting" as those terms might be used by a bourbon-drinker. I'd lean Woodford Reserve Double Oak, personally.
    I endorse the Woodford Reserve Double Oak, which I think I've sipped once.

I've seen lists of "best bourbons under $30." Think I should post that one?

I endorse the Woodford Reserve Double Oak, which I think I've sipped once.

I've seen lists of "best bourbons under $30." Think I should post that one?
    Oh, what the heck. Why not? At least this is a thread specific post.

https://www.thebourbonbard.com/best-...20More%20items

"The 14 Best Bourbons Under $30 Ranked [2021]: Best Bourbons for Beginners"

I actually think I've had 2 of them and I learned a lot from the article. I'm still a bourbon beginner.

First, Burning Chair and, if you can't find that, Angel's Envy. Both may be difficult to find depending on where you are. Readily available and a consistent favorite is Woodford Double Oaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    First, thanks all for the suggestions. Phredd3, you're right about finding "smooth" over "interesting". She's had a really tough week at work, I might head to the ABC store later today and grab something for her. I'll probably see if I can buy several small bottles to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Interesting, both of these were aged in Casks that used to hold wine and could be good choices for a wine drinker.