Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymmm, Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Let’s unpack it! Here is the code:

27 CFR 5.22:
    The folks who wrote this make a strong case that Jack Daniels is not bourbon because they don’t call it bourbon, and won the right to call it Tennessee Whiskey instead.

Interesting read, which I have not fact checked in any way: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/jack-daniels-bourbon-definitive-answer/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Jack Daniels Old Number 7 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Not, strictly speaking, bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Meets the regulatory requirements as a straight bourbon...
    Let’s unpack it! Here is the code:

27 CFR 5.22:
    The folks who wrote this make a strong case that Jack Daniels is not bourbon because they don’t call it bourbon, and won the right to call it Tennessee Whiskey instead.

Interesting read, which I have not fact checked in any way: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewhis...ve-answer/amp/
    I've looked into this question before and generally agree with a lot of the above. I believe JD does meet the regulatory requirements for bourbon. So, that answers the question, to me. Even the article cato links -- which says it is not b/c they say they are not -- says JD meets the regulatory requirements.

JD itself says no ... but this strikes me as sophistry:

IS JACK DANIEL'S A BOURBON?
    Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for maturing. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing – that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey. Take a look at our Process section for more information about how Jack Daniel’s is made.

Carolina can claim bakery national championships and JD can claim to not be a bourbon but neither claim has to be accepted as the truth just because they said it.

This discussion should be had while drinking Jack. Just saying.

At any rate. Putting aside product description and labeling laws, Jack Daniels is a good solid whiskey. There are several commonly available higher priced options that I choose Jack over.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've looked into this question before and generally agree with a lot of the above. I believe JD does meet the regulatory requirements for bourbon. So, that answers the question, to me. Even the article cato links -- which says it is not b/c they say they are not -- says JD meets the regulatory requirements.

JD itself says no ... but this strikes me as sophistry:
    IS JACK DANIEL'S A BOURBON?
    Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for maturing. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing – that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey. Take a look at our Process section for more information about how Jack Daniel’s is made.

Carolina can claim bakery national championships and JD can claim to not be a bourbon but neither claim has to be accepted as the truth just because they said it.
    Thanks for the back up..A real man's drink..
    Last edited by pfrduke; 10-09-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Come join us! There's always another spot at the bar/pub.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer
    LOL, I read that thread some...only so many hours in the day...need to have time for the actual drinking of the beer/bourbon!

Was gifted some Buffalo Trace. Good stuff. Very warming.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I bought a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel via internet since its not available in NC.

Seems to be highly rated/well received, looking forward to trying it soon.

Reservoir Distillery here in Richmond and in Scott’s Addition, did two “Mash-Ups” including their bourbon distilled with Hardywood’s Gingerbread Stout. I’ve been hiding a bottle for a year. Maybe this Xmas or birthday. Since I’ll turn 21...I mean 62.

Also have the other mash-up which was with Ardent’s IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I bought a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel via internet since its not available in NC.

Seems to be highly rated/well received, looking forward to trying it soon.
    First sip- coffee and caramel nose, super alcohol heat and definitely spicy.

Maybe not an easy straight sipper. Really tasty nonetheless.

There's a great documentary on Hulu called "Neat: The Story of Bourbon". Watched it with my wife over Christmas break. Little did I know she had two bottles of single barrel Henry McKenna bottled in bond sitting under the tree for me. 😁

I recommend that documentary for anyone interested in bourbon. They have master distillers from a lot of the various makers around Kentucky, and a little humor thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    First sip- coffee and caramel nose, super alcohol heat and definitely spicy.

Maybe not an easy straight sipper. Really tasty nonetheless.
    Second shot (literally).

A shot poured in a snifter with a couple of ice cubes.

Lesson learned is this cask strength bourbon is super hot; waiting until the ice melts turns a super hot spicy burn into a smooth sipper.

Also had a shot of Colonel Taylor.

Interesting contrast with New Riff.
    Smooth out of the gates with just a bit of water.

Cost is certainly not the only factor; a discernible difference between a $45 bottle and a $100 bottle.

Something out of the ordinary. Daughter in law does side work for the ABC demonstrating/ giving samples of new offerings. Sometimes she gets to keep what’s left. I was gifted Widow Jane Whiskey distilled from a rye mash Oak and Apple Wood aged. Not a bourbon but where else to post about it? Very good on the rocks, label reads “pure limestone mineral water,” Rosendale NY. 45.5%, I got batch 24 bottle 217. Very unique and I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Something out of the ordinary. Daughter in law does side work for the ABC demonstrating/ giving samples of new offerings. Sometimes she gets to keep what’s left. I was gifted Widow Jane Whiskey distilled from a rye mash Oak and Apple Wood aged. Not a bourbon but where else to post about it? Very good on the rocks, label reads “pure limestone mineral water,” Rosendale NY. 45.5%, I got batch 24 bottle 217. Very unique and I liked it.
    Love me some Widow Jane. I can't get it in the stores out here in Washington (at least, not those near me) but I frequently order it if I see it in a bar as a nice change of pace.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Some neophyte reviews of two distillery tours and/or tastings (about 10-15 ml each sample) from the KY Bourbon Trail:

1. Lux Row-tour and tasting; impressive for a new distillery opened in April, 2018; $10 PP
    a. Rebel Yell 100 proof-wheat blended; lightly charred oak, vanilla, caramel and orange; warm; smooth
    b. Daviess County 96 proof-wheat and rye blended-a bit more char, similar vanilla and oak; less orange and more spice and black pepper; similar warmth
    c. David Nicholson Reserve 100 proof-wheat blended; similar to Rebel Yell 100 but perhaps a bit smoother

2. Willett-tasting only; $10 PP and included a very nice tumbler souvenir
    a. Pot Still (bottle shape) 94 proof, their flagship-similar to Rebel Yell 100 in appearance, texture and flavors
    b. Old Bardstown Estate 101 proof-perhaps a bit more heat/harshness but overall similar mouthfeel to a. and c. at Lux
    c. Noah's Mill 114.3 proof-more heat but still smooth on the palate with more intense but similar flavors

Son-in-law bought 750 ml of the David Nicholson Reserve for about $30. I'd have bought the limited edition 12 year old double barrel blended Lux Row at 118.4 proof but it was $150/750 ml () and I had a large amount of limited release Wolf's Ridge Dire Wolf variants waiting for me in Columbus, OH the next day .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A buddy of mine that knows about this stuff said that if you find Savage & Cooke "Lip Service" rye or their "Burning Chair" bourbon, you should buy it. Savage & Cooke is the next Blanton's according to him. People are already paying premiums for it.

If ever there was a thread whose time to shine had come...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    If ever there was a thread whose time to shine had come...
    ...it would be this one:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Fair. Hard times call for harder measures though so at least make sure that beer has spent some time in a bourbon barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Fair. Hard times call for harder measures though so at least make sure that beer has spent some time in a bourbon barrel!
    Rum barrels work well, too...

...and cognac...

...and gin...

...and tequila...

...then there's that Ymm, Wine thread on DBR somewhere...