Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I guess but he IS a clone of a Mandalorian. If you clone a white guy, he is still Caucasian. Right?
    Probably doesn't apply - in that way - in this case. The question of "What makes a Mandalorian?" is a little complicated. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up in the show.

One way to be a Mandalorian is to be from their home planet or its moon, or possibly also from Mandalorian-controlled space. They'd also adopt other people (generally conquered people) into their culture. So what would make someone a Mandalorian is assimilation into the martial lifestyle and traditions of the Mandalorians, and membership in a clan. In that case, planet of origin, species, whatever, doesn't matter.

I don't really know the lore well for Jango Fett. My understanding is that he was an edge case as it was, but qualified as an adopted-into-Mandalorian-society type. Boba Fett doesn't qualify merely by genetic relation, nor by being from Mandalorian space. He can only qualify by being a part of Mandalorian culture, living as a Mandalorian, and so far as I know, he doesn't meet that bar. Being a tough guy and bounty hunter isn't adequate to meet the Mandalorian lifestyle - although it's something a bunch of Mandalorians have done, they do it because they have the skills for it, not because it's seen as a Mandalorian calling. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Probably doesn't apply - in that way - in this case. The question of "What makes a Mandalorian?" is a little complicated. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up in the show.

One way to be a Mandalorian is to be from their home planet or its moon, or possibly also from Mandalorian-controlled space. They'd also adopt other people (generally conquered people) into their culture. So what would make someone a Mandalorian is assimilation into the martial lifestyle and traditions of the Mandalorians, and membership in a clan. In that case, planet of origin, species, whatever, doesn't matter.

I don't really know the lore well for Jango Fett. My understanding is that he was an edge case as it was, but qualified as an adopted-into-Mandalorian-society type. Boba Fett doesn't qualify merely by genetic relation, nor by being from Mandalorian space. He can only qualify by being a part of Mandalorian culture, living as a Mandalorian, and so far as I know, he doesn't meet that bar. Being a tough guy and bounty hunter isn't adequate to meet the Mandalorian lifestyle - although it's something a bunch of Mandalorians have done, they do it because they have the skills for it, not because it's seen as a Mandalorian calling. That's my understanding of it, anyway.
    We are getting into some serious cannon stuff here but if I remember correctly, Boba Fett became the Mand'alor sometime during his life. I’ll have to try to find a source for it later tonight.

We are getting into some serious cannon stuff here but if I remember correctly, Boba Fett became the Mand'alor sometime during his life. I’ll have to try to find a source for it later tonight.
    I believe that is now Legends and no longer canon, although Legends is good enough for me and it is possible they'll still use that part as they have pulled bits and pieces from Legends as they go (although it was related to the Yuuzhan Vong stuff I think which is definitely no longer canon and won't be so it might be doubtful). Feel free to look for a source and correct me, I'm not 100% on this.

I'm sorry... but the last few posts made me think of this:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There are large swaths of the old EU material that I don't know about, so definitely possible. My EU knowledge came primarily from the games, not books.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm sorry... but the last few posts made me think of this:

NERDS!!!!!

Really though, this sort of Star Wars universe discussion is the same thing you can find in the context of any story with good world-building. Wheel of Time? A Song of Ice and Fire? X-Men? Batman? Harry Potter? Greek myths? I think that sometimes people are a little hasty in lumping this sort of discussion in with the Trekkies speaking Klingon and such (not that there's anything wrong with that). Examining the nuances of an invented world is fun. Immersion is what makes the stories so epic.

There are large swaths of the old EU material that I don't know about, so definitely possible. My EU knowledge came primarily from the games, not books.
    Yeah there is just so much content out there. I probably only know like 20% of it which is one reason I am looking forward to these new shows. Always down to stream an episode of something!

I'm confused. I thought Doc built a time machine out of a Mandalorian?

NERDS!!!!!

Really though, this sort of Star Wars universe discussion is the same thing you can find in the context of any story with good world-building. Wheel of Time? A Song of Ice and Fire? X-Men? Batman? Harry Potter? Greek myths? I think that sometimes people are a little hasty in lumping this sort of discussion in with the Trekkies speaking Klingon and such (not that there's anything wrong with that). Examining the nuances of an invented world is fun. Immersion is what makes the stories so epic.
    Although the entirety of the two "nerd posts" were way beyond my Star Wars knowledge (I am the one who wrongly believed the character in this show to be Boba Fett) I can not agree more that passion for any subject, be it mathematics, science, literature, Star Wars, comic books, pop art, or any one of a number of deep subjects does not make one a "nerd".

It is this sort of attitude, negatively labeling the pursuit of a personal interest with great zeal, that contributes to the acceptance of the general dumbing down of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Weirdly I keep having that exact thought every time I see "Dorian".

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    gfu510zidej31_50.jpg

Mandalorian math!

NERDS!!!!!

It is a mark of how far we have come that Tolkien isn’t even mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It is a mark of how far we have come that Tolkien isn’t even mentioned here.
    Tolkien's best (well, most dense) world-building is in the stuff practically no one consumes; i.e. The Silmarillion. You're right though, I should have used that as an example.

Tolkien's best (well, most dense) world-building is in the stuff practically no one consumes; i.e. The Silmarillion. You're right though, I should have used that as an example.
    There was only so much elvish I could consume. I wouldn’t recommend Silmarillion to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    There was only so much elvish I could consume. I wouldn’t recommend Silmarillion to anyone.
    I read the entire thing on my first attempt - do I win any kind of prize ?

Tolkien and GoT both required more fingers than I have* to hold spots in the appendices for constant information lookup.

*10, in case anyone was wondering

I thought your examples were great. I am just amazed at how much the genre has flourished.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Elvish.png

That's Elvish for light weight...

So has anyone been watching The Mandalorian so far? Curious to see what folks think...should we start a Mandalorian "spoilers" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So has anyone been watching The Mandalorian so far? Curious to see what folks think...should we start a Mandalorian "spoilers" thread?
    I enjoyed the first two episodes, particularly the [spoiler at the end of the first episode] and the [way the spoiler continued to play itself out across the second episode].

So yeah, would be happy to have a spoiler thread.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'm watching and already anticipating the next episode if that's any indication of how good I think it is. I actually was skeptical and had almost written this off as a money grab but have been pleasantly surprised. I too would welcome a spoiler thread.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I enjoyed the first two episodes, particularly the [spoiler at the end of the first episode] and the [way the spoiler continued to play itself out across the second episode].

So yeah, would be happy to have a spoiler thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I'm watching and already anticipating the next episode if that's any indication of how good I think it is. I actually was skeptical and had almost written this off as a money grab but have been pleasantly surprised. I too would welcome a spoiler thread.
    It is done.