Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    These idiotic comments (from your "reputable source", not you) put lives at risk. Spreading incorrect information is just a horrible way to prepare for natural disasters and make them worse than they have to be. What a mess.
    This is just weird, because then he insisted that he was right and the National Weather Service (which had the audacity to tweet a correction) was wrong. Plus congratulating Poland for being invaded by Germany. Just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I hate those guys. I hate their fear mongering channel. They don't do those setups to inform the people that are in the way, they do them so they can provide excitement to Suzy sitting on her sofa in South Dakota.
    It's fear mongering for not only sensationalism and short term ratings, but it plays into their bigger agenda as well. And a third factor, the media in general (and the government) assuming that people are idiots and will not take action unless the most extreme events are predicted. Three reasons to hate this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It's fear mongering for not only sensationalism and short term ratings, but it plays into their bigger agenda as well. And a third factor, the media in general (and the government) assuming that people are idiots and will not take action unless the most extreme events are predicted. Three reasons to hate this kind of thing.
    Well, people are idiots and won't take shelter. But partly because they get told 6 times a year that the biggest disaster in history is bearing down on them. After it is a false alarm 80% of the time, they don't evacuate the next time, unless they are told even more loudly and using bigger fonts.

It's Chicken Little. Or Boy Who Cried Wolf. Whichever.

It's tough though, because storms really are hard to predict, and really are stronger than they used to be. But yes, hyperbole doesn't help anyone.

My friend on the beachside told me yesterday that a sheriff's car had gone through her neighborhood with a bullhorn telling people to get out, that there was a mandatory evacuation.

Now we're expecting max 35 mph winds over the next 2 days (thank God).

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    My friend on the beachside told me yesterday that a sheriff's car had gone through her neighborhood with a bullhorn telling people to get out, that there was a mandatory evacuation.

Now we're expecting max 35 mph winds over the next 2 days (thank God).
    Sorry, I'm sure this mentioned downthread, but where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Daytona Beach area. The Redneck Riviera!

Many relatives next door at New Smyrna Beach. Love the Daytona Airport, and if your plane overshoots the runway a bit, you end up on the Speedway...can't believe how close it is.

Hey, I thought that the Gulf Coast Pensacola/Panama City/Beach was the redneck riviera! Trademark violation?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    And now he has to kill ya!

Looking at the power outage prediction map, New Bern is squarely in the "likely" zone. Not surprising, but still. Bleah.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Many relatives next door at New Smyrna Beach. Love the Daytona Airport, and if your plane overshoots the runway a bit, you end up on the Speedway...can't believe how close it is.

Hey, I thought that the Gulf Coast Pensacola/Panama City/Beach was the redneck riviera! Trademark violation?
    Yeah, from gate to luggage to car in 5-10 minutes. And I never knew the panhandle called themselves that. Seems official. Oops.

Looking at the power outage prediction map, New Bern is squarely in the "likely" zone. Not surprising, but still. Bleah.
    My cover is blown! Now witness protection will have to move me again.

Where is the power outage prediction map?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Where is the power outage prediction map?
    It's about 3/4 of the way down this page.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...recast-tuesday
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here is the latest update (3 pm) from the National Hurricane Center. Storm is moving NW at 5 mph:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/031855.shtml

WTNT65 KNHC 031855
    TCUAT5

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL052019
    300 PM EDT Tue Sep 03 2019

...CORE OF DORIAN MOVING AWAY FROM GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND...
    ...TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS OCCURRING ALONG THE FLORIDA EAST
    COAST...

The eyewall of Dorian continues to move away from Grand Bahama
    Island. However, dangerous winds and life-threatening storm surge
    will continue over that island through this evening.

A sustained wind of 39 mph (63 km/h) and a wind gust of 49 mph
    (80 km/h) were recently reported at a weather station in Sebastian
    Inlet, Florida.

SUMMARY OF 300 PM EDT...1900 UTC...INFORMATION
    ----------------------------------------------
    LOCATION...27.6N 78.7W
    ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM N OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
    ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF FORT PIERCE FLORIDA
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 5 MPH...7 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...959 MB...28.32 INCHES

$$
    Forecaster Brennan
    I prefer the NHC website over the TV coverage as it is high on facts and low on drama.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I prefer the NHC website over the TV coverage as it is high on facts and low on drama.
    This is a good one, too, that I found a few hours ago. It's a hodge-podge of NHC reports, images, and various computer models.

https://www.cyclocane.com/dorian-storm-tracker/

Well, people are idiots and won't take shelter. But partly because they get told 6 times a year that the biggest disaster in history is bearing down on them. After it is a false alarm 80% of the time, they don't evacuate the next time, unless they are told even more loudly and using bigger fonts.

It's Chicken Little. Or Boy Who Cried Wolf. Whichever.

It's tough though, because storms really are hard to predict, and really are stronger than they used to be. But yes, hyperbole doesn't help anyone.
    Yeah, it’s never a big deal. Until it is. And you discover emergency services are shut down.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Yeah, it’s never a big deal. Until it is. And you discover emergency services are shut down.

-jk
    But in the meantime, everyone on the eastern seaboard has made a run on gas, bread, and water.

Eye passing me now, winds not too bad, still have power. If I make it through the next 3 hours I think I'll be unscathed. Our beaches will be tore up, I worry about the turtle nests.

But in the meantime, everyone on the eastern seaboard has made a run on gas, bread, and water.
    Actually did not observe that in the Beaufort Morehead area through yesterday at least...

Actually did not observe that in the Beaufort Morehead area through yesterday at least...
    Same here in the Greenville/Washington area. There is a state of emergency declared, and a curfew tonight, but I think most people have surmised we've dodged a bullet, and won't do too much out of the way in terms of extra preparation. We grabbed an extra case of water at the grocery store Sunday, and I cranked the generator Monday to make sure it was running good just in case. But that's it. As the week has gone on, it became more and more apparent we'll get very little if anything other than a breezy, rainy day Friday, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Same here in the Greenville/Washington area. There is a state of emergency declared, and a curfew tonight, but I think most people have surmised we've dodged a bullet, and won't do too much out of the way in terms of extra preparation. We grabbed an extra case of water at the grocery store Sunday, and I cranked the generator Monday to make sure it was running good just in case. But that's it. As the week has gone on, it became more and more apparent we'll get very little if anything other than a breezy, rainy day Friday, thankfully.
    It seems like Dorian will skirt the entire US coast and maybe there will be no hurricane winds that actually reach shore. For all the worry about Florida, and it's understandable, they have yet to have more than trop storm winds. They had that for several days, and I'm sure it's tiring as all get out for that many hours...but the poor Bahamas were like our "blocking back" and took the brunt. That said, it does appear now that maybe the worst areas - for North America - will be somewhere between Savannah/Charleston and Myrtle Beach/Wilmington. Dorian seems to be projected to be closer to the coast in SC/Ga than before.

The thing that concerns me for NC the most is the water being pushed into the Pamlico...and then the Neuse River. New Bern goes under again potentially...

The thing that concerns me for NC the most is the water being pushed into the Pamlico...and then the Neuse River. New Bern goes under again potentially...
    The city has been proactive and opened up a few free sandbagging sites. BYOS. (Bring your own shovel)