Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Grand Bahama Island is expecting a 20 foot storm surge. The highest natural elevation on the island is 34 feet above sea level. If I understand the news right.
    We were on Eleuthara and Harbour Islands many years ago (honeymoon) and that sounds about right. There weren't many elevated spots on either island.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Awful for the Bahamas. Well stronger than Cat 5, and just sitting there.

It sounds like it could affect a-lot of Atlantic coast - grinding up all of Florida coast, Georgia, SC, and NC. They're saying it could be most expensive hurricane in US history with that kind of massive area impact. Weather channel emphasizing that as the hurricane downgrades from 5 to 4, that is not actually good. Because that means the storm will get much larger in diameter and impact.

Very real chance it could include 3rd major inland water flooding event in Carolinas in last 4 years.

Hope not - I guess it's still uncertain, and hopefully it turns out to sea asap.

Hearing from a reputable source that Alabama is at risk.

Okay, sorry. Salty this morning. Looks like poor Freeport is in the process of being wiped off the map. At ... ONE (!) ... mile ..... per ........ hour.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Saw a heartbreaking video from a young mother with young children from Grand Bahama this morning....just heart breaking.

This is sick & twisted. 5:00 pm Eastern NOAA advisory says this thing is “stationary.”
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    FWIW, since I was being flippant, I've got skin in the game. My parents and only remaining grandparent live on the SC coast. We're waiting to figure out if the assisted living facility where she lives is evacuating the residents, which is an uncomfortable task considering the diversity and depth of the various conditions the residents have. Parents can't determine their course of action until they know what the facility is going to do so it's a big 'If/Then' decision tree based on the hurricane's path, evacuation orders, etc. My family also has a gallows humor streak that runs deep so its just what we do. Not everyone's cup of piss so if I was making light of a situation causing you stress, mea culpa.
    The governor of SC ordered a mandatory evacuation. Parents are on one side of the dividing line for it, grandma is in the other so they’re trying to figure out the best course of action. I’m thinking granny puts on her aviators and helicopters the lot out.

Here in the Hillsboro Beach - Lighthouse Point area, we have had no wind and very little rain. It is cloudy but otherwise fine.

Look at this https://twitter.com/PaulFox13/status...970292225?s=20

That trough coming down is a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Look at this https://twitter.com/PaulFox13/status...970292225?s=20

That trough coming down is a thing of beauty.
    Dropping trough a thing of beauty?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Hearing from a reputable source that Alabama is at risk.
    These idiotic comments (from your "reputable source", not you) put lives at risk. Spreading incorrect information is just a horrible way to prepare for natural disasters and make them worse than they have to be. What a mess.

I was in Deerfield Beach a half hour ago and the sky was partly cloudy with the moon visible behind a light haze. A Sailor Take Warning sky that indicates liklihood of some rain tomorrow. There is no wind blowing here.

Weather Channel guys all in place, begging for a puff of breeze to blow off their hats...looks like FL is largely in the clear, barring some major modeling change.

Lookout Cape Lookout

Now the center of the cone has the eye a tick further off Florida, Ga and SC...and the US landfall as Cape Lookout - with something between a direct hit and a glancing blow indicated.
    We have family spread from the Florida Keys to central Florida coast up to our house in Beaufort (NC) near Lookout, so we're prepping now.

The horror of the Bahamas is helping the US...this stationary storm is weakening, as they always do over land, and the land for many hours now has been The Bahamas. If it stays off Ga and SC, it will still shear off strength as it moves towards NC. My gut tells me Cat 1 is the worst it will be, but of course it wil push a massive amount of water into the Pamlico Sound, which will go to the Neuse River...and New Bern will be scrod again.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Weather Channel guys all in place, begging for a puff of breeze to blow off their hats...looks like FL is largely in the clear, barring some major modeling change.
    I hate those guys. I hate their fear mongering channel. They don't do those setups to inform the people that are in the way, they do them so they can provide excitement to Suzy sitting on her sofa in South Dakota.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I hate those guys. I hate their fear mongering channel. They don't do those setups to inform the people that are in the way, they do them so they can provide excitement to Suzy sitting on her sofa in South Dakota.
    yeah, I really like following weather, but those guys are tough to take...disingenuous much of the time, as far as they're concerned, videos of property damage are highly desirable, the nastier the better...

Some of the experts in the studio have a much better agenda...

Whew! Just had about the best 12 hours of my life, and I slept through most of it. No longer in cone. Track has moved 20 to 30 miles east. Will be windy, but may not even lose power now, which is nice since the day after will be the hottest day of the year (96 degree forecast, which should be more accurate than the hurricane track).

I wrote in the 2nd post on the thread that it's weird to kinda wish the destruction on someone else. Poor Bahamas. But it appears that it sitting for so long over them gave that front time to move down and steer it away from me. Is that a fickle finger of fate or what?

Hurricanes appear to be zero sum events. I hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Whew! Just had about the best 12 hours of my life, and I slept through most of it. No longer in cone. Track has moved 20 to 30 miles east. Will be windy, but may not even lose power now, which is nice since the day after will be the hottest day of the year (96 degree forecast, which should be more accurate than the hurricane track).

I wrote in the 2nd post on the thread that it's weird to kinda wish the destruction on someone else. Poor Bahamas. But it appears that it sitting for so long over them gave that front time to move down and steer it away from me. Is that a fickle finger of fate or what?

The best hurricanes are the ones that live the power on... So hopefully it stays on for you.

Myself on the other hand is anticipating power loss come Thursday night/Friday morning. It seems like we lose power with a heavy morning dew... So I'm sure some gusty winds will surely knock it out. I just hope it is restored by 1pm NFL kickoff on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    The best hurricanes are the ones that live the power on... So hopefully it stays on for you.

Myself on the other hand is anticipating power loss come Thursday night/Friday morning. It seems like we lose power with a heavy morning dew... So I'm sure some gusty winds will surely knock it out. I just hope it is restored by 1pm NFL kickoff on Sunday.
    Thanks, and good luck to you as well.

Hey, I just noticed that there is a special congressional election for your area 4 days later. Is it still on? Nice timing, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Must spread some comments around ... I loathe weather reporter's antics at times like this. And when local weather gets to report on the potential for a flake of snow in eastern North Carolina, forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

I think I understand what you meant by the part of your comment that I bolded, but you've hit on a pet peeve of mine and I can't let it pass. Hurricanes are not zero-sum events. They are negative-sum events. One person's misery is not canceled out by the non-misery of another person; you didn't gain, you just didn't lose. I know you're referring to changes in storm track but my point still holds. Humans have a strange tendency to envision many events as zero sum when practically nothing is outside of things governed by constructed rule sets, like certain games.