Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The nature of the Outer Banks is rather... ephemeral. By design, they shift and morph with the tides, winds, and storms. Unfortunately, that's rather counter to our human desire for roads, buildings, harbors, etc.
    True, a one of a kind spot in the world....as compared to the Keys, which are not on shifting sands...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My neighbor had her sailboat docked at an Oriental marina, and it didn't get any damage, so that would hopefully mean that anything out of the water over there did really well too.
    Camp Don Lee has lost their pier several times over the years. Last year, one of the cabins closest to the water was crushed by a huge tree. They had a lot of damage last year, and a HUGE rebuilding weekend last October with lots of former campers loaded with supplies to rebuild.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Watching Trump deny that he directed anyone to change the way Dorian was reported by the weather agencies has me humming Ocracoke's own Molasses Creek's song "Fake News" in my head.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Fundraiser

After speaking with a few folks on Ocracoke, I've decided to hold a raffle/fundraiser to assist with their recovery efforts. All proceeds will be directed to the Outer Banks Community Foundation, and earmarked for Ocracoke. The prizes will be all locally sourced here in Asheville, so I'm not asking for assistance from most folks on this board - doubt you'd have much use of a gift certificate to one of our fine local breweries or eateries.

Those of you who ARE local, please PM me so I can ask you for prizes and then ask you to purchase tickets to win back your prizes.

Thanks
    Let's go Duke!

After speaking with a few folks on Ocracoke, I've decided to hold a raffle/fundraiser to assist with their recovery efforts. All proceeds will be directed to the Outer Banks Community Foundation, and earmarked for Ocracoke. The prizes will be all locally sourced here in Asheville, so I'm not asking for assistance from most folks on this board - doubt you'd have much use of a gift certificate to one of our fine local breweries or eateries.

Those of you who ARE local, please PM me so I can ask you for prizes and then ask you to purchase tickets to win back your prizes.

Thanks
    Update:

I've gotten a LOT of great prizes from local eating and drinking spots, but the BEST prize I've gotten is a really sweet new bike from New Belgium! It's a brand spankin' new design from Detroit Bikes with an internal three speed hub. If anyone is interested in donating/buying raffle tickets, please PM me. The information I've gotten from Ocracoke is that everything is happening, but SLOWLY. Tourists are still not allowed on island, a few eateries have opened, but highway 12 is still shot all to heck. They hope to have the road open by mid-November.

Anyways, let me know if you want in on this rad opportunity. Not sure if I can promise shipping the bike somewhere far, but I'm happy to take your donations!
    Let's go Duke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ugh. The poor people in Ocracoke are getting salt rubbed into their wounds today.

In a letter to Gov. Roy Cooper, FEMA's associate administrator says the damage to "individuals and households from this event is not of such severity and magnitude" to warrant individual assistance.
    https://www.witn.com/content/news/FE...562628391.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Eastern NC is very red, Ocracoke is definitely not.
    Ugh. The poor people in Ocracoke are getting salt rubbed into their wounds today.

https://www.witn.com/content/news/FE...562628391.html
    Really hope this is not linked. Is it just Okracoke not getting aid, or all of eastern NC? My NC geography is quite poor.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Really hope this is not linked. Is it just Okracoke not getting aid, or all of eastern NC? My NC geography is quite poor.
    All of ENC, but there truly wasn't enough damage elsewhere to justify it. But Ocracoke would sure seem to qualify.

All of ENC, but there truly wasn't enough damage elsewhere to justify it. But Ocracoke would sure seem to qualify.
    This is my read also. The system is over stretched after several active storm years. We're still fighting some battles from Florence, Sept of 18...

How large or small an area do they look at when evaluating whether individual assistance is warranted (or is it totally at the discretion of the FEMA official)? Can they look just at Ocrakoke and say it qualifies, or do they (by policy/rule) have to look at some predefined larger area and determine for that whole area based on the aggregate damage?

Ocracoke children just went back to school this week after a month off following their non-qualifying event.

I'm sure given my previous posts I don't need to tell you what I think of this decision.

Ocracoke children just went back to school this week after a month off following their non-qualifying event.

I'm sure given my previous posts I don't need to tell you what I think of this decision.
    Part of the problem is the system. It seems only government folks talk in terms of "counties." There are no counties in NC that generally qualify for this kind of aid. But the tiny little island of Ocracoke certainly does. Carteret County sure doesn't. Most of Hyde doesn't, from what I can tell, and I have two properties in coastal NC and follow this stuff pretty intensely.

The other problem is that FEMA has been abused, and became a big scam in some ways, with intermediaries getting their hands in the till. This really started with Andrew in 92 and has been getting worse. I remember seeing mega tree and debris companies in 1996 from Florida...coming to NC after Fran slammed into Wilmington and did major tree damage in Raleigh and other inland areas.

They all had magnificent new fleets, bought with FEMA money from Andrew in Florida, from 92. It was amazing.