Thread: 2020 Final Four

2020 Final Four

Just scored 4 tickets in the NCAA lottery for the Final Four in Atlanta. I'm even more excited about the upcoming season than I was before. I'm sure if I let the guys know now that I'll be there to support them, they will play even harder to get there!

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Just scored 4 tickets in the NCAA lottery for the Final Four in Atlanta. I'm even more excited about the upcoming season than I was before. I'm sure if I let the guys know now that I'll be there to support them, they will play even harder to get there!
    I have a ticket to hear Ruth Bader Ginsburg in Arkansas. Meet me at the Ticket Exchange board in 5 minutes.

That's awesome, congrats! These last two years have been brutal, being so tantalizingly close to the final four yet unable to break through. Feels like we're due to make it this year!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That's awesome, congrats! These last two years have been brutal, being so tantalizingly close to the final four yet unable to break through. Feels like we're due to make it this year!
    I was thinking about this earlier in the week. We have reached the elite eight in 4 of the last 7 seasons but are only have a 1-3 record in those elite eight games. If we stay healthy and our defense and shooting show up in the tournament the odds are better than good that 1 or 2 possessions will determine our final four fate yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I was thinking about this earlier in the week. We have reached the elite eight in 4 of the last 7 seasons but are only have a 1-3 record in those elite eight games. If we stay healthy and our defense and shooting show up in the tournament the odds are better than good that 1 or 2 possessions will determine our final four fate yet again.
    ...ironic, since I think Coach K won something like his first 7 Elite 8 games...I'm sure someone on here knows exactly...

Regional Finals

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...ironic, since I think Coach K won something like his first 7 Elite 8 games...I'm sure someone on here knows exactly...
    These used to be our MOJO, despite recent results that have regressed to the mean/average. See my posts regarding Covid 19 but if we get to Atlanta, I will take my daughter, Class 2024 , with N95 masks, whatever it takes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    These used to be our MOJO, despite recent results that have regressed to the mean/average. See my posts regarding Covid 19 but if we get to Atlanta, I will take my daughter, Class 2024 , with N95 masks, whatever it takes!!!
    i'm skeptical that any "coach X does well in round Y" is anything more than expected statistical variance. The tournament is far to random for a team to regularly do significantly better or worse than expected in any given round...though UVA has tried really really hard.
    1200. DDMF.

what comes next?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

what comes next?
    I can amend my username if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well, it was part of the FF run from 1986 to 1994 -- seven Elite Eight wins in nine years. We lost to Bobby Knight's eventual national champion in 1987 and to Cal in the round of 32 in 2003.

The first Elite Eight we lost in the K era was to Kentucky in 1998, after we had a large lead.

Earlier Elite Eight losses were to NYU in our surprise run in 1960 and Purdue in 1980, in Gminski's last game.

More recent losses are the 2013 game against Louisville -- the game with the Kevin Ware broken leg; the 2018 inexplicable loss to Kansas -- three-point lead and the ball with less than a minute in regulation; last year's close loss to Michigan State.

Uhhh... K's Elite Eight record is 12-4. Not bad, but what have you done for us lately? Just kidding.

We actually have had more problem with Sweet Sixteen games. We have won 16 (duh! 12 + 4). And we have lost nine, including four out of five between 2002 (ugh) and 2006 (JJ's final game).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, it was part of the FF run from 1986 to 1994 -- seven Elite Eight wins in nine years. We lost to Bobby Knight's eventual national champion in 1987 and to Cal in the round of 32 in 2003.

The first Elite Eight we lost in the K era was to Kentucky in 1998, after we had a large lead.

Earlier Elite Eight losses were to NYU in our surprise run in 1960 and Purdue in 1980, in Gminski's last game.

More recent losses are the 2013 game against Louisville -- the game with the Kevin Ware broken leg; the 2018 inexplicable loss to Kansas -- three-point lead and the ball with less than a minute in regulation; last year's close loss to Michigan State.

Uhhh... K's Elite Eight record is 12-4. Not bad, but what have you done for us lately? Just kidding.

We actually have had more problem with Sweet Sixteen games. We have won 16 (duh! 12 + 4). And we have lost nine, including four out of five between 2002 (ugh) and 2006 (JJ's final game).
    All true...with the 7 FF in 9 years, where that 7-0 EE record came from...Duke was not considered really a Final Four team in 3 of them, maybe 4 of those...that was the period when Duke...well, when Duke became Duke. Several of those Elite Eight wins were upsets.