Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm not sure "drama queen" is what I would use to describe Nadal. He's competitive and uber-intense on the court. But drama queen? He's also one of the most well-respected and well-liked players on tour.

I could see that argument being made about Djokovic (moreso in his earlier years), but about Nadal seems pretty surprising to me. Nadal is pretty monotone on the court. He does play very deliberately in between points, and he has some OCD-like quirks about his between-point routine. But I don't think I've ever seen much outside-of-the-point drama with him.

As for the match, it went from being a blowout to a thrilling back-and-forth battle and really entertaining. I was happy for Nadal: he is as tireless a worker and grinder as you'll see in tennis. Kind of the Wojo of the sport (only with way more talent). It's a shame that his effort has resulted in physical breakdown over the years, because when healthy he's phenomenal to watch.

It feels like we're getting close to a new generation of players moving up with Thiem, Medvedev and a few others knocking at the door. It's nice to see the "old" guys still winning for a little while longer.
    Fair enough. Drama queen was a poor choice of words. I guess what I was trying to say is that despite only being a bit older than Rafa, I am very old fashioned in my tennis. Wear your whites, don’t grunt every time you hit it, and generally act like you’ve been there before. There are countless more egregious offenders to my sensibilities than Rafa and he has gotten more tolerable to me, but I would still take Roger any day over him.

Now get off my lawn tennis court...

The ubiquitous grunting in tennis has made the games unwatchable for me unless I turn off the sound, which I tend to do...

Just as a thought experiment, consider if only two of the big three had existed how many titles might the other two have had?

Just as a starting point, I count 22 times they played each other in a grand slam final. Take half of those at least so 5 or 6 each for the other 2.

They won 33 of the last 40. So the are winning at about an 80% clip. Dividing 33 among two instead of three yields the same result. 11 more majors for those two.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Just as a thought experiment, consider if only two of the big three had existed how many titles might the other two have had?
    If Djokovic had not come along and staked his own claim to being GOAT, would Federer and Nadal have reached the heights they’ve reached, or stayed at/near the top as long as they have?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Just as a starting point, I count 22 times they played each other in a grand slam final. Take half of those at least so 5 or 6 each for the other 2.

They won 33 of the last 40. So the are winning at about an 80% clip. Dividing 33 among two instead of three yields the same result. 11 more majors for those two.
    In the 7 that they lost, how many times did one defeat one of the other 2 helping the outlier? These 3 guys are amazing and so very dominant. Loved watching Rafa dig deep yesterday. Medvedev impressed me with that comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The ubiquitous grunting in tennis has made the games unwatchable for me unless I turn off the sound, which I tend to do...
    You could just turn down your hearing aid. Hold it, did I just conflate you with CrazyNotCrazie and his lawn tennis court?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I was pulling for Rafa -- as an old veteran who continues to play a high level of tennis into his 30's, when so many others have retired. So, congratulations on a tough and well played match

Kindly,
    sage
    'But I could do with a little less "Stall-Ball" Nadal, as he tried to delay every point'
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Agree about Nadal not really being a drama queen, but it IS annoying to see all the time wasting between points. It probably doesn't make much of a difference as far as the outcome, but it certainly makes the viewing less interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My complaint was about "Stall Ball" Nadal.
    To be fair, his stall ball was penalized on multiple occasions. I think he got called for three service faults for taking too long and he double faulted on one of the second serves. He never complained or whined in the slightest to the ump when he shouted "time violation. Fault." Just went on like nothing happened. Not saying as a viewer you have to like it, just that it was noticed and penalized accordingly and he lived with the outcome each time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    … I am very old fashioned in my tennis. Wear your whites, don’t grunt every time you hit it, and generally act like you’ve been there before. There are countless more egregious offenders to my sensibilities than Rafa and he has gotten more tolerable to me, but I would still take Roger any day over him.

Now get off my lawn tennis court...
    I miss wood rackets too ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    To be fair, his stall ball was penalized on multiple occasions. I think he got called for three service faults for taking too long and he double faulted on one of the second serves. He never complained or whined in the slightest to the ump when he shouted "time violation. Fault." Just went on like nothing happened. Not saying as a viewer you have to like it, just that it was noticed and penalized accordingly and he lived with the outcome each time.
    This is true, and I was glad they finally enforced the time rules with him. Of course, I'm a biased Fed fan! (And yesterday, a biased Med fan)