Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

US Open Tennis - 2019

Things are back in action in Flushing, with refreshingly cool and comfortable (I dare say we may see some spectators in jackets or sweatshirts) weather in the forecast for the full tournament. After a fairly uneventful day 1 (Kerber losing, Serena returning to the scene of the crime with an easy win over Sharapova, Fed and Barty each dropping a set), we're seeing some action today, at least on the men's side. 10 seed Bautista Agut, 8 seed Tsitsipas and 4 seed Thiem all lost, with only Agut even managing to get to a 5th set. Not that he wouldn't be a big favorite against any of them, but that's a nice break for Nadal seeing 3 decent seeds fall on his half of the bracket.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Things are back in action in Flushing, with refreshingly cool and comfortable (I dare say we may see some spectators in jackets or sweatshirts) weather in the forecast for the full tournament. After a fairly uneventful day 1 (Kerber losing, Serena returning to the scene of the crime with an easy win over Sharapova, Fed and Barty each dropping a set), we're seeing some action today, at least on the men's side. 10 seed Bautista Agut, 8 seed Tsitsipas and 4 seed Thiem all lost, with only Agut even managing to get to a 5th set. Not that he wouldn't be a big favorite against any of them, but that's a nice break for Nadal seeing 3 decent seeds fall on his half of the bracket.
    The Nadal/Thiem QF from last year was an epic match and one I was very much looking forward to seeing run back (although would have been SF this year I think). Oh well.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The Nadal/Thiem QF from last year was an epic match and one I was very much looking forward to seeing run back (although would have been SF this year I think). Oh well.
    It was. His match against Khachanov was also excellent, and he lost last night. All these potential big rematches, falling by the wayside.

Nadal's draw still seems sneakily tricky to me. It starts with having to play a high-variance ballbasher tonight in Kokkinakis. Verdasco is a possibility for the round after and someone that has given him trouble in hardcourt slams before. And then he's virtually guaranteed one of Cilic (former champ), Isner, or Struff (who hits the ball huge) in the 4th round. And that's before the QF and SF. Further, many of the commentators and players have said the courts are playing a bit faster and lower-bouncing than recent versions, which wouldn't be ideal for Nadal.

With Djokovic maybe having health issues and Federer looking ordinary so far (not mentally recovered from Wimbledon yet?), I'm excited to see if a young gun can break through. Shapovalov? Medvedev? This slam is the one that has produced non-Big 3 winners in the past like Del Potro, Cilic, and Wawrinka.

Even for someone who has plenty of early losses in Slams, this was quite a disappointment for Halep, especially coming off a near perfect match in the Wimbledon final. Career highlight win for Taylor Townsend, and major credit to her for holding on after wasting double match point to give back the break in the 3rd.

Nadal with a walkover to the 3rd round. He will eventually face some competition. But so far so good.

Go Roger! And Go Coco! Playing Osana in the third round will probably end her run, but what a fabulous run for a 15 year old it’s been! And she’s only just beginning.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Nadal with a walkover to the 3rd round. He will eventually face some competition. But so far so good.
    Yeah, he got some breaks. The walkover and then he gets Chung instead of Verdasco. First test is the winner of Cilic/Isner in the 4th round.

The projected Djokovic / Wawrinka 4th round will also be crazy

Upset alert. Fellow Tulane tennis alum Dominik Koepfer is up 2 sets to none against #17 Basilashvili. Roll Wave!!

Either way the next 3 sets shake out, pretty good showing to win 3 matches in quailes and 2 main draw matches already.

Nice to see Osaka playing at peak level after a difficult summer, even if it came at the expense of Gauff. The post-match hugging and interviews were very sweet.

Djokovic retires from his match with Wawrinka. He was down two sets to love already, and was complaining of left shoulder pain. The draw is still tough, but things open up a bit for Federer and Nadal.

Djokovic retires from his match with Wawrinka. He was down two sets to love already, and was complaining of left shoulder pain. The draw is still tough, but things open up a bit for Federer and Nadal.
    I feel for the Djoker. It's hard to stay healthy as you get older; tough to keep up with those youngsters Roger and Rafael.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Roger and Rafael.
    If chalk holds, I look forward to seeing the stubhub prices for that match. A rematch on the women's side, which I think is pretty likely at this point, would be quite a draw as well.

If chalk holds, I look forward to seeing the stubhub prices for that match.
    And ironically (and I didn’t go to Duke so not 100% sure that it is the right word here but I think it actually is), I believe Federer and Nadal have never ever played at the US Open.

If chalk holds, I look forward to seeing the stubhub prices for that match. A rematch on the women's side, which I think is pretty likely at this point, would be quite a draw as well.
    Not looking likely at all now. Osaka in big trouble on ESPN2

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    And ironically (and I didn’t go to Duke so not 100% sure that it is the right word here but I think it actually is), I believe Federer and Nadal have never ever played at the US Open.
    That's part of what would contribute to making it such a hot ticket.

Osaka loses.

Bencic has now beaten 4 out of last 5 number one ranked players she's faced. She looked dominant.

Baby Fed finally beats actual Fed. Shocking upset. Federer looked... well, he actually looked his age, suffering back and neck issues. The top half is wide open for Medvedev, while Nadal has Schwartzman and (if he wins) Mongolia or Berrettini.

Baby Fed finally beats actual Fed. Shocking upset. Federer looked... well, he actually looked his age, suffering back and neck issues. The top half is wide open for Medvedev, while Nadal has Schwartzman and (if he wins) Mongolia or Berrettini.
    Easy draw for Nadal? He might have to play a whole country in the final!

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Easy draw for Nadal? He might have to play a whole country in the final!
    Yeah, but they don't produce a lot of tennis players...

But seriously, a funny iPhone autocorrect for Monfils. Coincidentally, I had caught the autocorrect of Medvedev (Mercedes), but missed that one!

Schwartzman has given Nadal trouble in the past, but it's looking a lot like a Nadal/Medvedev final.