Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 126
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Jeff Sessions back in the Senate? That would be interesting. Extremely unlikely, but it's in the rumor mill.
    Also, I had no idea Tommy Tuberville was running for that seat. He'll get thousands of votes just by standing up and repeatedly yelling "War Eagle" as his campaign speech.

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/29/polit...ace/index.html
    Yes, but how many "Roll Tide" votes will he lose?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yes, but how many "Roll Tide" votes will he lose?
    IF Roy or K were to ever run for office, I wonder how many people would refuse to vote for them even if they were on their side politically.

    Roy would be much safer as the Tarheel fans far outnumber those in the better shade of blue.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    IF Roy or K were to ever run for office, I wonder how many people would refuse to vote for them even if they were on their side politically.

    Roy would be much safer as the Tarheel fans far outnumber those in the better shade of blue.
    But State fans would vote against him.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Let's Go Virginia!!!

    Well, not UVA, but the state will interesting to watch next week.
    Virginia is one of only four states holding legislative elections this year and the only one where partisan control of the legislature is considered at risk.

    Democrats hold a 20-19 majority in Virginia's Senate, while Republicans have a 51-48 majority in the House of Delegates, with one vacancy in each chamber.

    The Virginia results also will offer bragging rights for both national parties and hints about the mood of voters ahead of next year's general election between Trump and the eventual Democratic nominee.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-...101751653.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    538 runs down the democrats prospects for taking the senate back in 2020. Not much new here but a good summary of where things are: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ok-vulnerable/

    I found this chart to be interesting (not the whole chart, I chopped off the very top and very bottom):
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Let's Go Virginia!!!

    Well, not UVA, but the state will interesting to watch next week.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-...101751653.html
    Another story about Virginia, and a look at how voters in suburbia may effect the elections nationally.

    Virginia Republican Corey Stewart, an unapologetic Trump loyalist who was beaten badly in last year's U.S. Senate race, suggested Trump would help his party by rallying the base in Virginia in what is expected to be a relatively low-turnout election. Still, he feared that the elections could be "a complete rout" for Republicans.

    "Things are so bad right now in Virginia for a Republican like me," Stewart said. "Things are moving in the wrong direction in the suburbs."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-trum...041830629.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    NC begins work on redrawing their gerrymandered maps today. The courts ruled that they must be changed before the next elections.

    https://www.witn.com/content/news/La...564499581.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    "Things are so bad right now in Virginia for a Republican like me," Stewart said. "Things are moving in the wrong direction in the suburbs."
    This is not meant to be a partisan comment, just a comment on the echo chamber nature of politics today and would equally apply to a Democrat from a Midwest state that turned to Trump.

    Has Stewart thought that perhaps the Republicans and his politics might be moving away from the suburbs instead of the suburbs moving away from him? Just a thought.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    This is not meant to be a partisan comment, just a comment on the echo chamber nature of politics today and would equally apply to a Democrat from a Midwest state that turned to Trump.

    Has Stewart thought that perhaps the Republicans and his politics might be moving away from the suburbs instead of the suburbs moving away from him? Just a thought.
    Well, if he believes his way is the right way then the suburbs are moving away from the correct path. Politics is not all about triangulating the most electoral position, sometimes it is about finding a principle you believe in and doing your best to make that into the law of the land.

    -Jason "I just re-read my second line and am actually laughing out loud... sigh" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Politics is not all about triangulating the most electoral position, sometimes it is about finding a principle you believe in and doing your best to make that into the law of the land.

    -Jason "I just re-read my second line and am actually laughing out loud... sigh" Evans
    Sometimes I miss the days of Jessie "I'm against the EPA, but if I can't stop it I'm going to make darned sure they put a huge research campus in my state" Helms.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Huge blue wins in Va tonight. (And Kentucky)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Huge blue wins in Va tonight. (And Kentucky)
    Kentucky 104, Republican Party 103 (OT)

    (less than 6000 votes!)

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Kentucky 104, Republican Party 103 (OT)

    (less than 6000 votes!)
    I'm sure Mitch is smelling coffee this morning. Bevin ran the end of his campaign as anti-impeachment (even though he can't do a damn thing about that as Governor), much as Mitch has been running his lately. In fact, he has an add out saying send in money since he's the only one that can stop it.
    That plan didn't work out so well for Bevin. He went national, Beshear went local, eschewing national issues and politicians in favor of focusing on the the local problems that Kentucky faces.
    It worked, and it worked well. I wonder how many other GOP races will take note of that, and possibly shift their tactics. (My guess is not many.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm sure Mitch is smelling coffee this morning. Bevin ran the end of his campaign as anti-impeachment (even though he can't do a damn thing about that as Governor), much as Mitch has been running his lately. In fact, he has an add out saying send in money since he's the only one that can stop it.
    That plan didn't work out so well for Bevin. He went national, Beshear went local, eschewing national issues and politicians in favor of focusing on the the local problems that Kentucky faces.
    It worked, and it worked well. I wonder how many other GOP races will take note of that, and possibly shift their tactics. (My guess is not many.)
    This is a good observation, particularly for a Dem trying to get elected in a deep red state like Kentucky. Most politicians that end up in DC and come down with Potomac Fever eventually overweight the importance of national issues in their states/districts and I suspect "protect Trump from impeachment" isn't as resonate a message as the messages Trump ran and won on. OTOH, my county has been historically majority red but with substantial blue. It's suburbs in the East, rural in the West, and a mix in between. The last two elections have seen a blue sweep and now almost every county elected office is controlled by a Dem. Several of the county commissioners ran ads about how they were standing up to Donald Trump. County. Commissioners. My sense - at least around these parts - is that Dems have received the message loud and clear that they ignored local elections while Republicans slowly started to run on the local and state machinery.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm sure Mitch is smelling coffee this morning. Bevin ran the end of his campaign as anti-impeachment (even though he can't do a damn thing about that as Governor), much as Mitch has been running his lately. In fact, he has an add out saying send in money since he's the only one that can stop it.
    That plan didn't work out so well for Bevin. He went national, Beshear went local, eschewing national issues and politicians in favor of focusing on the the local problems that Kentucky faces.
    It worked, and it worked well. I wonder how many other GOP races will take note of that, and possibly shift their tactics. (My guess is not many.)

    I like this take. As the same time, I'm wary of believing any longer that tactics actually matter. Hyde-Smith celebrated lynching during her Senate run, and now she's a Senator. So I'd like to believe tactics matter, but I've seen too much of 2015-19 to be secure in that.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Trump tweeted this morning that the Kentucky result was good news for Mitch's re-election. There was no explanation given for his thinking on this.

    Seriously, I had to look and make sure it was not a parody account.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Seriously, I had to look and make sure it was not a parody account.
    A common problem. Was it Trump, or GollumJTrump?

    Live, Memorex, it's a rich tapestry.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Trump tweeted this morning that the Kentucky result was good news for Mitch's re-election. There was no explanation given for his thinking on this.

    Seriously, I had to look and make sure it was not a parody account.
    Clearly you haven't been paying attention. I'm sure either that's not what Trump said, or, he can defend exactly what it means. Possibly, both in the same breath.
    Repartee is something we think of twenty-four hours too late.

    - Twain

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Clearly you haven't been paying attention. I'm sure either that's not what Trump said, or, he can defend exactly what it means. Possibly, both in the same breath.
    Sometimes a surprising defeat can rally the troops for the next go around. See the Tea Party ascension during Obama's presidency and everything that's happened since Trump's victory gobsmacked 66M voters. I could see that happening in KY --- in the last cycle, McConnell received nearly 900,000 votes, 200K more than Bevin received. So, there's a lot of room for turnout there...

    ...that'd be my guess, anyway.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Clearly you haven't been paying attention. I'm sure either that's not what Trump said, or, he can defend exactly what it means. Possibly, both in the same breath.
    FWIW I think I figured out what he meant. Trump tweeted around midnight last night that R's (because of him) "won 5 out of 6 elections in Kentucky," and that he helped Bevin "pick[] up at least 15 points in the last days."

    Which of course is wrong -- polls had Bevin about 5 points up about a week before Trump campaigned for him. But, Trump.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

Similar Threads

  1. Midterm Elections 2018
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1869
    Last Post: 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM
  2. Shooting at Congressional baseball practice
    By davekay1971 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-16-2017, 08:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •