Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
    David Purdue is 3700 votes above the 50% mark in GA. There are 61k votes still to be counted. I did some math and Purdue needs to win 47% of the remaining votes to stay above 50%. Considering these votes are breaking hard for John Ossoff/Dems, it is almost certain that this race is headed for a runoff.

2 Ga seats to determine control of the Senate on January 3rd.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    David Purdue is 3700 votes above the 50% mark in GA. There are 61k votes still to be counted. I did some math and Purdue needs to win 47% of the remaining votes to stay above 50%. Considering these votes are breaking hard for John Ossoff/Dems, it is almost certain that this race is headed for a runoff.

Great.

If we can make it out of 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Great.
    Sitting here in limbo,
    Waiting for the tide to flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Sitting here in limbo,
    Waiting for the tide to flow.
    "Hell is other people." -- J-P Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    One thing I have realized is that the Senate may have an uncomfortable amount of control over the judiciary if it (the Senate) stays with one party for a long time. I would prefer to have seen the House and Senate swap majorities, but that isn't at all likely.
    It's highly unlikely that the Dems lose control of the House. According to NYT, they only need 12 more seats, and they are leading in at least that many races, many waiting on Dem-favorable mails-ins. In at least one case (CA-34) the race is uncalled, but it is being held between two declared Democrats (and the NYT algorithm doesn't know to put that sea into the Dem total). So actually just 11 of 38 outstanding.

"Hell is other people." -- J-P Sartre
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFiIJ4vW2IU

At least there won't be much outside campaign money flowing into Georgia for the next few months.

I'm wondering if you will see anything besides political commercials over Christmas.

At least there won't be much outside campaign money flowing into Georgia for the next few months.

I'm wondering if you will see anything besides political commercials over Christmas.
    "All I want for Christmas is two Georgia Senators"?

I think the bombardment of political ads will also result in a lot of additional ads for alcohol...

My office manager told me she saw a new Senate race ad this morning already. Ugh.

Looks like more and more 2 run-offs elections in GA

Reid Epstein
    4 minutes ago
    Reid Epstein in Madison, Wis.
    David Perdue has fallen under the 50 percent threshold to avoid a runoff in Georgia’s Senate race. He’s at 49.9997 percent — 141 votes short of winning outright with more votes still to be counted from Democratic areas.

The next 6 weeks are gonna suuuck for Georgia residents without a DVR that can skip commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    The next 6 weeks are gonna suuuck for Georgia residents without a DVR that can skip commercials.
    Probably, the same for tax professionals.

My office manager told me she saw a new Senate race ad this morning already. Ugh.
    OPK - Is this the ad your office manager saw? https://twitter.com/ReverendWarnock/...21816102506497

The question I believe was asked previously. You can register to vote in the runoff up until December 7th.

https://georgia.gov/vote-2020-runoff-elections

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    OPK - Is this the ad your office manager saw? https://twitter.com/ReverendWarnock/...21816102506497
    Not sure, but saw that one earlier.

Whoever is doing Rev. Warnock’s commercials has been killing it all cycle. But getting turnout again for the runoff is gonna be a hurdle for the Dems here I think.

I'm starting to see a lot of shade thrown at Doug Collins locally here in Atlanta ... will be interested to see is fortunes going forward with the GOP. For those that may have been living under a rock the last few days, when Sen. Isakson retired, Collins lobbied hard to be his replacement. Governor Kemp appointed Kelly Loeffler as a temporary replacement, with the seat to be filled this election cycle. Because of Sen. Isakson's retirement, the race is a jungle primary and Collins threw his hat in the ring to challenge Loeffler, effectively splitting the GOP vote and assuring a runoff before the first vote was cast. Now it looks like control of the senate for the next two years will come down to that seat...
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I think one of the most interesting sub-stories of the Georgia runoffs is going to be what both parties do during the lame duck to better position themselves. Two issues I'm interested in are,

1. How much will McConnell and the GOP be willing to give on a stimulus bill? McConnell has already signaled that he's ready to compromise on assistance to states and localities, which was one of the big pre-election sticking points. But he didn't say how much and there was a lot of distance between what the House and White House were negotiating and what the GOP Senate is expected to support. And, even if McConnell is willing to compromise, is there a risk he's forced to back down due to internal party resistance? If so, how will that play in the runoff elections?

2. How hard will the Dems try to distance themselves from the progressive wing of the party? Conventional wisdom is starting to settle on the narrative that Dems underperformed because they were branded as the party in favor of banning fracking, defunding the police, Medicare for All, etc. There are a flurry of stories today that moderate House Dems are looking to replace Pelosi and distance themselves from progressive wing of the party. The vote for Speaker (Jan 3) will only be 2 days before the Georgia runoff (Jan 5), but could the House coalesces around someone like Hakeem Jeffries as an alternative to Pelosi in the weeks before the election?

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I think one of the most interesting sub-stories of the Georgia runoffs is going to be what both parties do during the lame duck to better position themselves. Two issues I'm interested in are,

1. How much will McConnell and the GOP be willing to give on a stimulus bill? McConnell has already signaled that he's ready to compromise on assistance to states and localities, which was one of the big pre-election sticking points. But he didn't say how much and there was a lot of distance between what the House and White House were negotiating and what the GOP Senate is expected to support. And, even if McConnell is willing to compromise, is there a risk he's forced to back down due to internal party resistance? If so, how will that play in the runoff elections?

2. How hard will the Dems try to distance themselves from the progressive wing of the party? Conventional wisdom is starting to settle on the narrative that Dems underperformed because they were branded as the party in favor of banning fracking, defunding the police, Medicare for All, etc. There are a flurry of stories today that moderate House Dems are looking to replace Pelosi and distance themselves from progressive wing of the party. The vote for Speaker (Jan 3) will only be 2 days before the Georgia runoff (Jan 5), but could the House coalesces around someone like Hakeem Jeffries as an alternative to Pelosi in the weeks before the election?
    Is Pelosi part of the progressive wing? If they ditch Pelosi, I would expect whoever the replacement is to be more progressive, not less. The people who want her out are the progressives.