Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Both did not know what they had done until after the Zoom when someone finally told them.
    What weird person sees something like that and doesn't say anything until later? If you are going to say something, don't you say something as soon as it starts? How awkward would it be to go to someone later and say, "You know we all just watched that, right?" An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Speaking of pearl clutching, what the hell was Jeffrey Toobin thinking?
    And marrying the recent themes of this thread, he has a bit of a checkered past, fathering a child with Jeff Greenfield's daughter (a fully consenting adult with whom he had a longstanding affair) while married with children. Ms. Greenfield is a lawyer with two Yale degrees who specializes in matrimonial law.

It's a shame because I really enjoy his writing.

Now back to the election...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    What weird person sees something like that and doesn't say anything until later? If you are going to say something, don't you say something as soon as it starts? How awkward would it be to go to someone later and say, "You know we all just watched that, right?" An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    In one of these instances, a college professor and entire class of his peers...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I think "quaint" is the word.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Speaking of pearl clutching, what the hell was Jeffrey Toobin thinking?
    Hopefully, a name change. As if Epstein wasn’t bad enough!

Toobin apparently made an honest mistake and simply misunderstood the type of simulation to be conducted on the Zoom* call. Linky.

The incident, first reported by Vice News, happened during an election simulation involving the New Yorker and WNYC radio last week.

Vice quotes two anonymous sources who were at the meeting as saying they witnessed the incident. The election simulation involved prominent New York figures playing politicians, such as President Donald Trump and Democratic contender Joe Biden. Mr Toobin was representing the courts.

*I guarantee the Late Night hosts will be making variations of this same joke so hopefully I avoid getting dinged for vulgarity. Would hate to be put on leave.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Toobin apparently made an honest mistake and simply misunderstood the type of simulation to be conducted on the Zoom* call. Linky.

The incident, first reported by Vice News, happened during an election simulation involving the New Yorker and WNYC radio last week.

Vice quotes two anonymous sources who were at the meeting as saying they witnessed the incident. The election simulation involved prominent New York figures playing politicians, such as President Donald Trump and Democratic contender Joe Biden. Mr Toobin was representing the courts.

*I guarantee the Late Night hosts will be making variations of this same joke so hopefully I avoid getting dinged for vulgarity. Would hate to be put on leave.
    Maybe Toobin was playing the role of Carlos Danger?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Maybe Toobin was playing the role of Carlos Danger?
    The Carlos Danger revelation was one of the great belly laughs in our national political dramedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hopefully, a name change. As if Epstein wasn’t bad enough!
    I agree, if he changes his last name to Epstein people will definitely be confused.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    He’s skipped two debates now and pledged not to leave DC until the SCOTUS confirmation. I know he’s going to win but come on man, no campaign events with ten days to go? He was get begging for money in the Halls of Congress last week.

Desperate times call for desperate (and some might say sellout) measures.

https://hotair.com/headlines/archive...rming-barrett/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Desperate times call for desperate (and some might say sellout) measures.

https://hotair.com/headlines/archive...rming-barrett/
    Shocked, I say!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Trump tells donors it will be hard for the GOP to keep the senate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...6ed_story.html

President Trump privately told donors this past week that it will be “very tough” for Republicans to keep control of the Senate in the upcoming election because some of the party’s senators are candidates he cannot support.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

LOL, that's some hubris.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

That's ok, Trump says the GOP is taking the House.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The last 3 NC Senate polls show a slightly tighter race. A PPP poll (B) has Cunningham up 3. An Ipsos poll (B-) has Cunningham up 1. A Trafalgar poll (C-) has Tillis up 2. According to 538, both the PPP (.3) and Ipsos (.4) polls have a mean-reverted bias that slightly favors the Democrats. Trafalgar favors the GOP by almost a full point.

These results seem in line with the conventional wisdom of a narrow Cunningham victory.

This question is for anyone who lives in western NC or knows anything about the NC-11 race. Any of you in Asheville-western NC have any sense of this race? I heard a brief comment last Fri night on what I would describe as a centrist-conservative state politics program. The brief comment suggested that neither Rs nor Ds would nominate their same candidate, if they had it to do over again.

I think I understand why Rs are having second thoughts, as their candidate has been explicitly tied to neo-Nazis. But I just haven’t heard much about the D candidate, and whatever second thoughts the D party might be having.

Anyone know anything?

On paper, Moe Davis (the D candidate) should be a strong candidate against the neophyte Madison Cawthorn (R). However, Davis is a prolific twitter-er and has made some aggressive comments which are being used against him on local radio spots. I know I'm getting old, but I am so frustrated that we can't expect professional behavior from our politicians anymore. But this is the social media world we live in, and I suspect that younger people are just used to it. I blame our President, that's for sure, but in today's age, you simply can no longer issue your standard, anodyne politician-speak statements anymore, or you'll find yourself like all of Trump's primary candidates in 2016, always playing catch-up behind his "ooda loop" antics.

Anyway, back to the race. In the Asheville bubble, you see mostly Davis signs. Cawthorn is very young and has absolutely no political experience, afaik. Again, in the "old days", no one should elect a 20-something neophyte to federal office*, esp an office that traditionally requires dealing with local issues. But again, we no longer live in that world...all politics is now national, so voting for Cawthorn is simply a vote to support the national Republican party platform (well, the 2016 one, apparently). So it won't shock me if he gets elected, given this area (yes, NC 11 has been re-drawn, but it's still Western NC, right?)

(* Everything I said about Cawthorn can also be said about AOC, another 20-something neophyte who got a lot of initial her name recognition from Twitter, etc. I do believe, however, that she has learned the ropes quickly in Washington, so she may be the real deal in her political abilities. Guess we'll see about Cawthron if he's elected)