Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In the last election of 2018*, Dan Bishop wins. Trump's visit and rally last night very likely had a huge effect on the day's turnout. Compared to early voting, the single day voters were heavily Republican. (It was still a close tally overall, though.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

More shenanigans in the special elections for the 9th. Hundres of people wanted to vote, but were turned away and told they could not vote!

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/st...234944657.html

In one instance, an election official said, more than 100 people showed up to vote at a church in Cornelius and were surprised to find out they couldn’t cast ballots for either Dan Bishop, the Republican, or Dan McCready, the Democrat. When those voters found the polling place closed some of them assumed the Board of Elections had messed up.
    Mavromatis, whose phone number appears on the homepage of the Mecklenburg County Board of Elections website, says she got too many complaints to count from voters who thought — or hoped — they could vote in the 9th District and were upset they could not.
    Apparently, the area in and around the 9th was inundated with ads for the race and thus many exposed to the ads thought they were in the 9th and tried to vote only to find their polling place (in a different district was closed) or that their names were not on the voting rolls in the 9th (because they lived in a different district).

Only one-fifth of voters in Mecklenburg County are eligible to cast ballots in the high-profile 9th Congressional District special election. But plenty more wanted to — and local officials say they’ve been inundated with angry and confused phone calls all day Tuesday.
    Two hours into voting on Tuesday, the town of Huntersville was forced to make a public service announcement on its Twitter page:

“We have had a number of calls this morning of folks wanting to vote in today’s election for the 9th Congressional District. The Town of Huntersville is in the 12th Congressional District,” the tweet said.
    God Bless North Carolina!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    More shenanigans in the special elections for the 9th. Hundreds of people wanted to vote, but were turned away and told they could not vote!
    That's not shenanigans, that's just ignorance induced humor. Ha! Of course with the way NC districts are drawn up, it shouldn't be too surprising to find out that people are not in the district they assume they are.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's not shenanigans, that's just ignorance induced humor. Ha! Of course with the way NC districts are drawn up, it shouldn't be too surprising to find out that people are not in the district they assume they are.
    Based on the TV ads one would have thought I could vote in the race and I live in coastal South Carolina! The local SC based channels have been airing campaign ads in the evening for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I live a few blocks from the 9th district border. Half my neighborhood is in it, half is out. It's some very finely tuned gerrymandering.

Another R congressman retiring, this one so he can pursue a high-profile seat on the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors. He won in 2018 with 60% of the vote, not sure why he would feel uneasy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...aNR?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Another R congressman retiring, this one so he can pursue a high-profile seat on the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors. He won in 2018 with 60% of the vote, not sure why he would feel uneasy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...aNR?li=BBnb7Kz
    They sky's the limit!

From The Hill: Red-state Democrats worry impeachment may spin out of control:
    One Democratic senator who requested anonymity to discuss the dynamics within the Democratic caucus said Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has told his colleagues that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) wants to keep the scope of the impeachment inquiry as narrow as possible.

The senator, who favors a broader scope, said that “people are worried” about potential political fallout within the Democratic caucus.
    Meanwhile Randy Quaid, who may or may not be sane, is threatening to run against House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff.

2020 is going to be a heck of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Meanwhile Randy Quaid, who may or may not be sane, is threatening to run against House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff.
    How could you not pull out this wonderful quote?

“That swamp needs cleaning up big time. I should know. I have serious winning experience emptying the s#!**ers for that district,”
    That's gold, Jerry. GOLD!

Mitch McConnell's (un)popularity was brought up in the Presidential thread. It looks like his opponent in the Senate race is doing very well with her fund raising.

She (Amy McGrath) raised $2.5 million the first day, and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee told USA TODAY’s affiliate paper the Louisville Courier-Journal at the time that that number stood as the most ever raised in the first day of a campaign for U.S. Senate.

Her campaign stated Thursday that they received 299,000 contributions with the average contribution size being just $36, and they received donations from all 120 counties, which totaled to reach almost $11 million
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrat-...214306827.html

This might bear watching...AOC has a D challenger.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...VoD?li=BBnbfcL

To remember, she shocked everyone by beating the D congressman who was 4th (I believe) in leadership. He was so confident he barely campaigned in the primary. The district is so blue, that's all it took.

Nita Lowey from NY is retiring at age 82 - she is the head of the House Appropriations Committee and represents Westchester and Rockland Counties. There was already another Democrat campaigning for her seat. Bill and Hillary live within the district (Chelsea currently does not) so there is some speculation that Chelsea will pursue the seat. A brief perusal of the comments on the article in the NY Times indicates that this likely would not be a popular idea, and if Chelsea can't win over the readers of the Times (which I do religiously), it says something about her odds. Like AOC's district, this is one where the main battle will likely be in the Democratic primary, not in the general election.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/n...ita-lowey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    From The Hill: Red-state Democrats worry impeachment may spin out of control:

2020 is going to be a heck of a year.
    I think you can count on Randy as being pretty much 100% nuts...he tried to sneak into Vermont a few years ago very close to my former home, but was arrested on some charges from California...eventually he got out of jail and then made clear many of his plans, which included becoming a firefighter (he looked to have the mobility of a ceramic vase) and also running against Bernie for Senator because some nice folks from a Super PAC asked him to do so, reminiscent of the time George W. Bush asked me to be Ambassador to France. Randy's lunacy was initially entertaining, then tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Nita Lowey from NY is retiring at age 82 - she is the head of the House Appropriations Committee and represents Westchester and Rockland Counties. There was already another Democrat campaigning for her seat. Bill and Hillary live within the district (Chelsea currently does not) so there is some speculation that Chelsea will pursue the seat. A brief perusal of the comments on the article in the NY Times indicates that this likely would not be a popular idea, and if Chelsea can't win over the readers of the Times (which I do religiously), it says something about her odds. Like AOC's district, this is one where the main battle will likely be in the Democratic primary, not in the general election.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/n...ita-lowey.html
    I live in this district and let me tell you - don’t take the word of “readers” in any comment section.

There will probably be several Democrats that throw their hats in the ring for this seat and Chelsea could certainly be one of them. And if she does, I’d bet she wins. Hillary had huge support here and I’d bet it translates.

Interesting summary of Democrats’ chance to retake the Senate which is not as far fetched today as it was even a few months ago. Includes helpful references to unbiased, third party analysis. Not sure if this still represents wishful thinking on the part of a left-leaning CNN. But the Republicans have a lot of defensive work to do over the next year. It’s gonna be interesting, if not downright nasty, to say the least.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Interesting summary of Democrats’ chance to retake the Senate which is not as far fetched today as it was even a few months ago. Includes helpful references to unbiased, third party analysis. Not sure if this still represents wishful thinking on the part of a left-leaning CNN. But the Republicans have a lot of defensive work to do over the next year. It’s gonna be interesting, if not downright nasty, to say the least.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen
    Last paragraph is the summary:

To be clear: Democrats are not favored to retake the Senate -- particularly given the fact that Jones is a near-certain loser unless Republicans nominate Roy Moore (which they might do!). But the last few months have made clear that what once looked like a long-shot bid by Democrats for the Senate majority has turned into a much more plausible possibility.
    In other words, a "definite maybe?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Look, I don't know about the rest of this stuff, but I do know that if the reporting on Mitt Romney having a secret Twitter account under the handle Pierre Delecto is true, we should be talking about it. Why Pierre Delecto?!?!?? I would have assumed Mittens would have gone with something like 'Pup Ondaroof."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Look, I don't know about the rest of this stuff, but I do know that if the reporting on Mitt Romney having a secret Twitter account under the handle Pierre Delecto is true, we should be talking about it. Why Pierre Delecto?!?!?? I would have assumed Mittens would have gone with something like 'Pup Ondaroof."
    I wonder if his middle name is "Flagrante"

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wonder if his middle name is "Flagrante"
    n'Flagrante. Keeping with the French. Or is it Esperanto?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Carlos Danger?