Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Toward that end, here is a fascinating question that was asked and notice how the responses exactly mirror the percentages of the actual vote at this point:

Do you think Susan Collins is more an independent voice for Maine or a partisan voice for Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell?
    Think Susan Collins is more an independent voice for Maine - 42%
    Think Susan Collins is more a partisan voice for Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell - 46%
    Not sure - 11%
    That 11% is huge...and not weighing in her favor. Or maybe it is. We'll find out in November.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Whoa... the Lincoln Project has evolved from attacking Trump to attacking the GOP senators who have supported him. This is a serious escalation that would appear to target vulnerable GOP senators like McSally, Gardner, Ernst, Collins, and others. The Republicans behind the Lincoln Project are not satisfied at working to get rid of Trump, they want their party back!

Here is their most recent ad: https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...13116236410880
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Whoa... the Lincoln Project has evolved from attacking Trump to attacking the GOP senators who have supported him. This is a serious escalation that would appear to target vulnerable GOP senators like McSally, Gardner, Ernst, Collins, and others. The Republicans behind the Lincoln Project are not satisfied at working to get rid of Trump, they want their party back!

Here is their most recent ad: https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...13116236410880
    Saw that on TV last night. Their ads are pretty potent, and they have gotten lots of money to create and air them with. Ironically, their biggest fundraiser was the president himself, who after watching their first ad during a prime time Fox news segment a couple months ago, spent much of the next day Tweeting about what horrible people they are. As a result of his attention, they raised over a million dollars in 24 hours.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

PPP (Democratic pollster, but still a good polling outfit with a B from 538) polled NC today. It found Cunningham leading Tillis in the senate race by 8 points, 47-39.

There was also a PPP poll of Alaska, which is typically a huge GOP stronghold. It found Sen. Dan Sullivan in a real dogfight, only leading Al Gross 39-34. A ton of undecided voters in Alaska and Gross is not well known across the state (72% of voters have no opinion about him). Will be interesting to see if his numbers improve as he gets to be better known.

Alaska only has 1 congressional seat and the long-serving Don Young is in trouble there. Alyse Galvin leads 43-41 over the longest serving Republican in congress.

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...und-in-alaska/
    https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...win-over-base/
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Alaska only has 1 congressional seat and the long-serving Don Young is in trouble there. Alyse Galvin leads 43-41 over the longest serving Republican in congress.
    I'm surprised Don Young is still running. I haven't lived in Alaska for more than 40 years, but I still had Don Young as my Representative once upon a time. He's 87 and still wants another term. Wow.

PPP (Democratic pollster, but still a good polling outfit with a B from 538) polled NC today. It found Cunningham leading Tillis in the senate race by 8 points, 47-39.

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...und-in-alaska/
    https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...win-over-base/
    Cunningham raised way more money that Tillis in the last quarter and he's using it well. Very effective ads. One wonders how bad this has to get for the R's to pull their ad money and use it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cunningham raised way more money that Tillis in the last quarter and he's using it well. Very effective ads. One wonders how bad this has to get for the R's to pull their ad money and use it elsewhere.
    Thom Tillis is one of the targets of the Lincoln Project ad targeting Trump's enablers by name. (The Lincoln Project being a group of influential Republicans driven to oust Trump from office.)

Kelly Loeffler, who is sitting senator from Georgia but not polling well against Ds and a fellow R, wrote to the WNBA Commissioner “I adamantly oppose the Black Lives Matter political movement...". She is co-owner of the WNBA's Atlanta Dream, and blowback appears to have been pretty furious and largely unanimous. The league had decided to support the Black Lives Matter movement during its 2020 season.

I have not linked any article, provided her full statement or responses because it's gotten heated fast and I couldn't find an article that didn't have rhetoric that might have upset either side.

But as I noted, all signs point to her losing. What I wonder is how this might affect both Georgia Senate races however, because the other candidates are sure to be asked about it. Though it might blow over, the three-legged stool for this election appears to be COVID, the economy, and race relations.

Georgians, is this making any waves locally, do you think it will matter?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Kelly Loeffler, who is sitting senator from Georgia but not polling well against Ds and a fellow R, wrote to the WNBA Commissioner “I adamantly oppose the Black Lives Matter political movement...". She is co-owner of the WNBA's Atlanta Dream, and blowback appears to have been pretty furious and largely unanimous. The league had decided to support the Black Lives Matter movement during its 2020 season.

I have not linked any article, provided her full statement or responses because it's gotten heated fast and I couldn't find an article that didn't have rhetoric that might have upset either side.

But as I noted, all signs point to her losing. What I wonder is how this might affect both Georgia Senate races however, because the other candidates are sure to be asked about it. Though it might blow over, the three-legged stool for this election appears to be COVID, the economy, and race relations.

Georgians, is this making any waves locally, do you think it will matter?
    I mean, if is getting some play here but not a ton. It doesn't really matter as Loeffler is...

She is far behind Trump-backed Doug Collins in the jungle primary and it would take a small miracle for her to beat all of the Democrats running to get her way into the runoff with Collins. It looks like the race is going to be Collins versus Raphael Warnock, the pastor of the Ebeneezer Baptist Church.

Loeffler has been in deep trouble since allegations that she was briefed about Coronavirus and then promptly called her broker and sold millions worth of stock while telling the people that everything would be fine. She has zero future in politics... and zero future in the WNBA. The league is going to force her to sell her stake in the team, I'm fairly sure.

I mean, if is getting some play here but not a ton. It doesn't really matter as Loeffler is...

She is far behind Trump-backed Doug Collins in the jungle primary and it would take a small miracle for her to beat all of the Democrats running to get her way into the runoff with Collins. It looks like the race is going to be Collins versus Raphael Warnock, the pastor of the Ebeneezer Baptist Church.

Loeffler has been in deep trouble since allegations that she was briefed about Coronavirus and then promptly called her broker and sold millions worth of stock while telling the people that everything would be fine. She has zero future in politics... and zero future in the WNBA. The league is going to force her to sell her stake in the team, I'm fairly sure.
    Cosigning this excellent explanation. Loeffler picked the wrong fight with the wrong group of athletes...the WNBA's players have been very socially aware and active since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, they certainly aren't doing it yet. I've seen the attack ad against Cunningham while streaming on Hulu probably about 100 times in the past couple days.

Can they do that? She says she's not going anywhere.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/wnb...Pr9?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Can they do that? She says she's not going anywhere.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/wnb...Pr9?li=BBnb7Kz
    As Donald Sterling will tell you, the NBA (and the WNBA) can absolutely force an owner to sell. There is a bylaw in the NBA constitution (and I am sure the same thing exists in the WNBA bylaws) that says the league can revoke ownership from any one owner by a vote of 3/4 of the other owners. Now, the NBA never did invoke that clause for the Clippers situation, but you can bet they told Sterling that if he did not voluntarily sell, they would force his hand. I fully expect something similar to happen to Loeffler.

Her players are probably going to demand trades and/or refuse to play for her. It is an untenable situation and the WNBA will make it clear to her that she cannot continue to stay on. She's not even the solo owner so they only need to find someone to take her half of the team.

-Jason "I doubt a WNBA team is all that expensive... the league is subsidized by the NBA so it ain't like these teams are generating tens of millions in profits" Evans

You won't have Jeff Sessions to kick around anymore...

He lost the primary (badly) to political newcomer and Nick Saban victim Tommy Tuberville. Tuberville will be the favorite to take the Bama Senate seat from Democrat Doug Jones, the only Democratic senate seat that appears to be even a little bit in trouble this cycle.

You won't have Jeff Sessions to kick around anymore...

He lost the primary (badly) to political newcomer and Nick Saban victim Tommy Tuberville. Tuberville will be the favorite to take the Bama Senate seat from Democrat Doug Jones, the only Democratic senate seat that appears to be even a little bit in trouble this cycle.
    Whew, I had not realized what a brutal campaign this has been. From a NY Times On Politics email:

Since June 1, the primary has had the lowest share of positive ads of any Senate primary in the country, at only 18.5 percent, according to Advertising Analytics, an ad tracking firm.

When excluding outside groups and focusing just on the campaigns, the ad war appears even more noxious. Since late February, both candidates have aired only attack ads against their opponent; in the nearly $2 million spent by both Mr. Sessions and Mr. Tuberville since March 1, not a single biographical or positive spot has appeared on air from either campaign.

I am trying to conceptualize Senator Tuberville...can't quite get to there...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Well I'd say there's a decent chance you get to see it in action in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well I'd say there's a decent chance you get to see it in action in a few months.
    Will Lou Saban endorse?

8 days since a post!!! C'mon, I know the prez race is taking up all the oxygen, but Congress is also gonna be verrrry interesting. (Say it like Arte Johnson. Yes, I'm bored today.)

So there's a new poll out today for the Texas 21st that shows the incumbent R only leading by 1 point. He won by 2.6 points two years ago. Where's the news? In 2016, this district went red by 21 points.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

Cook Report now indicating the odds slightly favor the Dems taking over the Senate due to Trump’s drag on the party:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-2020-election

Ratings changes:

Republican Sen. Martha McSally's race in Arizona shifted from "Toss Up" to "Lean D." Republican Sen. Joni Ernst's contest in Iowa changed from "Lean R" to "Toss Up." Republican Sen. David Perdue's race in Georgia changed from "Lean R" to "Toss Up." Democratic Sen. Tina Smith's race shifted from "Likely D" to "Solid D." The open race in Mexico, where Democratic Sen. Tom Udall is not seeking reelection, has changed from "Likely D" to "Solid D."
    And for the race up top:

For the Electoral College, there were several "ratings" changes that signal trouble for Trump.

Florida moved from "Toss Up" to "Lean D"; Indiana from "Solid R" to "Likely R"; Kansas from "Solid R" to "Likely R"; and Missouri from "Solid R" to "Likely R."