Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This is not a partisan comment, but I really hope that when I am pushing 73 years old, I do not have to feel the need to suck up to someone who has publicly insulted me and who I fundamentally disagree with on a number of things. After all that has happened between them, if I were Sessions, I would determine that if sucking up to Trump is what is required to win this election, I will find another way to spend my time. But I guess the swamp just sucks you back in...
    It didn't register when I saw the extract quote in an article but Sessions' first campaign video is entirely focused on placating Trump and assuring his potential Alabama voters that he's all on board the Trump Train...

...hands cupped together and mouth wide open right behind the caboose (if you ask me).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Cenk Uygur has filed to run for Katie Hill's seat in Congress. (She's the one in Cali who resigned.)
    Uygur is the founder of The Young Turks.

For her part, Hill is backing Christy Smith, a state assemblywoman, stating her seat should be filled by another woman.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/young-tur...130556079.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I guess I have to be the guy that posts about Fartgate...

Sound on, if you absolutely must click the link.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I guess I have to be the guy that posts about Fartgate...

Sound on, if you absolutely must click the link.
    From the article:

...engulfed in a potent, lingering scandal...
    Can't make this stuff up.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    TIME reports that Pompeo plans to resign as Secretary of State:

https://time.com/5732232/mike-pompeo...un-state-exit/

Apparently he will aim to run for a Senate seat in Kansas.
    I've seen similar reports, and so far he's denied it. Talk about bad timing; with Sondland's testimony yesterday bringing him fully into the Ukraine issues, his future Senate seat opponents just got handed a bowlful of lasting fodder.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've seen similar reports, and so far he's denied it. Talk about bad timing; with Sondland's testimony yesterday bringing him fully into the Ukraine issues, his future Senate seat opponents just got handed a bowlful of lasting fodder.
    Yup, he should have Nikki'd it on out of there in the spring instead of trying to keep all his options open until now.

(And speaking of, I kinda assume that the Nikki flattery offensive towards Trump was an angle for the Sec/St job when Pompeo slid out. Might need to hit [pause] on that.)

The 2020 congressional map for North Carolina is set and while it still leans GOP, it appears at least 2 safe Republican seats have been turned over to the Democrats. If the House is close in 2020, and it certainly could be, these 2 seats may make a biiig difference.

The new map makes it very likely that Democrats will pick up two House seats in North Carolina in 2020. That’s important because it makes Republicans’ quest to regain House control — or at least eat into Democrats’ majority — that much harder. In effect, Republicans need to flip two additional Democratic-held seats just to stand pat in the House.
    -Jason "the 538 link above contains a good chart of the the partisan lean of the new NC seats" Evans
    Capture.JPG
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The 2020 congressional map for North Carolina is set and while it still leans GOP, it appears at least 2 safe Republican seats have been turned over to the Democrats. If the House is close in 2020, and it certainly could be, these 2 seats may make a biiig difference.

-Jason "the 538 link above contains a good chart of the the partisan lean of the new NC seats" Evans
    Capture.JPG
    George Holding (R-NC) announced today that he is leaving Congress; his district was redrawn and is now heavily Democratic (per Jake Sherman tweet).

Democratic Congressman Jeff Van Drew, one of the two Dems who voted against opening an impeachment effort against Trump, is apparently planning to switch parties. There seems to be some self-interest in the move:

The stunning move comes amid new polling commissioned by Van Drew's campaign that shows his approval ratings are under water with Democratic voters in his district. Just 24 percent of Democratic primary voters said Van Drew deserves to be reelected to Congress, and only 28 percent said he deserves to be the Democratic nominee in next year’s election.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Democratic Congressman Jeff Van Drew, one of the two Dems who voted against opening an impeachment effort against Trump, is apparently planning to switch parties. There seems to be some self-interest in the move:
    Much like Republicans who feel they cannot oppose the president or they will face a tough primary fight, Democrats who side with Trump are likely to face the same. Jeff Van Drew was really a DINO from the moment he arrived in the House following the 2018 congressional election. He is against gun control, increasing the minimum wage, and favors lower taxes on the rich. He also voted against gay marriage legislation when he was in the NJ State Senate. He barely won in 2018 in a district that has been reliably Republican for a long time.

It will be interesting to see what happens in his district. There are already 3 folks running in the GOP primary and I doubt they will all get out of the way if Van Drew switches parties. Though the district had been Republican for a while, it is basically a toss-up district with a partisan lead on just +2 for the GOP, meaning that if Dems win the national congressional popular vote by more than 2 points, one would expect this district to go to the Democratic candidate.

-Jason "Trump probably does not want Van Drew it switch parties yet... it looks better for Trump if a Democrat votes against impeachment than if there is one more GOPer who does" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Mark Meadows (R-NC11) will not be seeking reelection.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Even more interesting, he says he may not serve out the remainder of his term.

https://wlos.com/news/local/meadows-...PxduVOHZJ3tVxQ

Absent extenuating circumstances (health, family emergency, criminal conviction), elected officials should be required to finish their term. Special elections are not cheap.

The scuttle butt - as the article mentions - is that Meadows will join the Trump administration in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The scuttle butt - as the article mentions - is that Meadows will join the Trump administration in some capacity.
    Lots of local discussion surrounding this. General sentiment I am hearing is somewhere between "good riddance" and "go back to Florida."

I doubt anyone would be surprised if he found a home in the administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I doubt anyone would be surprised if he found a home in the administration.
    Yup. Mulvaney (as CoS) and Pompeo are both likely on their way out soon. Meadows has been a loyal soldier for a Trump — the attribute most prized by the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    He’s had a pretty easy time getting re-elected. With the new district map, maybe he doesn’t want to fight it out.

Ominous signs for the Rs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...why/ar-BBYhzsR

Since President Trump took control of the Republican Party, 106 House Republicans have either been defeated in elections or retired.
    That's almost half, I never realized it was that high. Six in Texas alone are not defending their seats next year. If (when?) Texas turns blue...

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Ominous signs for the Rs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...why/ar-BBYhzsR

That's almost half, I never realized it was that high. Six in Texas alone are not defending their seats next year. If (when?) Texas turns blue...

It also means that pre-Trump Rs are being replaced with Trumpistas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    It also means that pre-Trump Rs are being replaced with Trumpistas.
    I don't think we need to start name calling here.

I do think it's a worrying sign for Republicans in purple districts that the Republican party is skewing more toward Trump. At some point pro-R Independents will look elsewhere if the party goes to far.