Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 638
  1. #601
    Quote Originally Posted by ryetales View Post
    Horrifying is the right description. Candidates like her and the voter response is becoming more acceptable. This is disheartening at best.
    A newbie to politics and someone whose marriage is on the rocks is not the best opponent to go up against someone like that. You really need an experienced veteran who has a thick, very think, skin.

    Some would say this is the right's counterbalance to "The Squad"...personally, I think the Republicans need to do some soul searching. Trying to out crazy the Dems is such a bad idea. Let's hope this gal is a one termer.

  2. #602
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    BTW the presidential choices in SC look like this.* No Write-In?

    Question: what determines the order of candidates on the ballot? This is a pic from an actual mail-in ballot.

    Attachment 11681


    *I know, wrong thread. Move it if you wish.
    South Carolina doesnít allow write-in candidates for the Presidential ticket only everything else. Itís against the law.

    The order is rotated every election. Last time Clinton was the first choice so the Democrats go the the end of the list now and everyone get bumped up.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 10-18-2020 at 05:04 PM.

  3. #603
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Trying to out crazy the Dems is such a bad idea. Let's hope this gal is a one termer.
    I meant this more as being more extreme to the right than the extreme on the left. Not to imply that democrats are crazy.

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I meant this more as being more extreme to the right than the extreme on the left. Not to imply that democrats are crazy.
    Although . . .

  5. #605
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Although . . .
    I resemble that!

  6. #606
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    South Carolina doesnít allow write-in candidates for the Presidential ticket only everything else. Itís against the law.

    The order is rotated every election. Last time Clinton was the first choice so the Democrats go the the end of the list now and everyone get bumped up.
    Thanks! I was wondering that as well.

    At my polling place the older gentleman submitting his ballot to the machine ahead of me got a kick back because he had voted for multiple candidates for the same offices.

    A volunteer at the machine told him he could do his ballot over and get help filling it out if he liked. She said that if he submitted it the way it was the machine would only count the 1st candidate selected. He told her that's fine with him and she pushed some override button and he submitted his ballot with multiple candidates for the same office.

  7. #607
    Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    At my polling place the older gentleman submitting his ballot to the machine ahead of me got a kick back because he had voted for multiple candidates for the same offices.

    A volunteer at the machine told him he could do his ballot over and get help filling it out if he liked. She said that if he submitted it the way it was the machine would only count the 1st candidate selected. He told her that's fine with him and she pushed some override button and he submitted his ballot with multiple candidates for the same office.
    Oh what I wouldn't give for some sort of alternative voting system like choice voting, limited voting or cumulative voting. This single vote thing really stinks.

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Question - is the Cal Cunningham "scandal" just that he sent texts of a sexual nature to a woman who wasn't his wife? Is that all there is to it? Did the woman who received them complain about harassment?

  9. #609
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Question - is the Cal Cunningham "scandal" just that he sent texts of a sexual nature to a woman who wasn't his wife? Is that all there is to it? Did the woman who received them complain about harassment?
    They also had an affair.
    Carolina delenda est

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    They also had an affair.
    So the scandal is that Cal Cunningham had an affair? Was she an intern?

  11. #611
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    So the scandal is that Cal Cunningham had an affair? Was she an intern?
    No. Two adults both in marriages.

  12. #612
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    No. Two adults both in marriages.
    Each with kids. I do not care what two consenting adults do with each other, but it does change my thinking on someone (politician or not) when they hurt their family by being unable to refrain from having sex with someone they are not married to.
    Carolina delenda est

  13. #613
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Each with kids. I do not care what two consenting adults do with each other, but it does change my thinking on someone (politician or not) when they hurt their family by being unable to refrain from having sex with someone they are not married to.
    Agreed.

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Each with kids. I do not care what two consenting adults do with each other, but it does change my thinking on someone (politician or not) when they hurt their family by being unable to refrain from having sex with someone they are not married to.
    Agreed. And if many NC voters agree and feel this is a litmus test for them, there would be a lot of split ticket voting in NC.

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yeah, Thom Tillis not completing a proper quarantine period after testing positive for the coronavirus is a way bigger deal to me, YMMV.

  16. #616
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Each with kids. I do not care what two consenting adults do with each other, but it does change my thinking on someone (politician or not) when they hurt their family by being unable to refrain from having sex with someone they are not married to.
    There are three other issues for Cunningham. The first is that the husband of the woman involved in the affair was a veteran junior officer. That's a potential violation of the UCMJ, which has triggered an investigation by the Army Reserve. It's unlikely the investigation concludes before the election but story creates more of a challenge for Cunningham than your run of the mill affair.

    Second, Cunningham's handling of the scandal has created more problems than the scandal itself. A couple of days ago the Charlotte Observer refused to endorse Cunningham, citing his lack of transparency in handling the allegations. It's the first time in 22 years the Observer didn't endorse the Democrat in a NC senate race (link is behind a paywall). There are unconfirmed reports of a second affair and mainstream media outlets have repeatedly asked Cunningham if the reports are true. He has declined to answer.

    Finally, the scandal is having a big impact on Cunningham's campaigning down the stretch. He didn't appear with Biden at the event in Durham last Sunday, a big missed opportunity for any senate candidate. He's structuring his events to minimize direct interaction with the press, creating additional negative stories about his handling of the scandal.

    There is new evidence that the race has tightened in the last few days. Two polls out today show Cunningham up 49-47. 538 rates the East Carolina poll as B/C and the Washington Post/ABC poll as A+. That comes on the heels of yesterday's Emerson poll (A-) that shows Cunningham up 45-44. It's also worth noting that the persistent polling gap between Trump and Tillis has completely closed.

    I suspect the race will continue to move toward Tillis at the scandal drags on, and I won't be surprised to see him with a narrow polling advantage by election day. I think the odds still favor Cunningham to pull out a narrow victory due to an advantage in early voting, but NC may not be the truest tossup of any senate race.

  17. #617
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Yeah, Thom Tillis not completing a proper quarantine period after testing positive for the coronavirus is a way bigger deal to me, YMMV.
    I did not take a position on the relative impact of this development and others in the race. Simply providing some background on this issue, in case you were thinking it was pearl clutching over sexts.
    Carolina delenda est

  18. #618
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I did not take a position on the relative impact of this development and others in the race. Simply providing some background on this issue, in case you were thinking it was pearl clutching over sexts.
    I don't think I quoted you in my post, did I? Checks. No. So, no, I did not think you were clutching your pearls.

  19. #619
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Speaking of pearl clutching, what the hell was Jeffrey Toobin thinking?

  20. #620
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Speaking of pearl clutching, what the hell was Jeffrey Toobin thinking?
    I am personally familiar with two instances of Zoom exposure. Both involved people taking their device (phone or laptop, ya sicko) into the bathroom with them believing the camera and mic were off when in fact they were not. One was a grown woman, the other a college age man. Both did not know what they had done until after the Zoom when someone finally told them.

Similar Threads

  1. Midterm Elections 2018
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1869
    Last Post: 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM
  2. Shooting at Congressional baseball practice
    By davekay1971 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-16-2017, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •