R.I.P. MAD Magazine

I suppose all good things must come to an end.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nds-180972572/

MAD took up quite a bit of my misspent youth (most of my youth wasn't misspent, but for that which was, MAD was prominent).

I must admit I haven't bought one in many many years, but I still have a few on the shelf, including one from 1966 featuring the TV Batman and Robin on the cover. Of course, Alfred E. Neuman is Robin. What an iconic figure.

Sergio Aragones in the margins, Al Jaffee's fold-in on the inside back cover, Don Martin (who could spell any disgusting noise), Bergs-Eye View (The Lighter Side of ________), Spy vs. Spy, ...

Ah well.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One of my most fav memories of my dad was his love of Mad. He bought it every month, and as a kid I would spend hours reading them. We made it one of our activities to scope out comic and book shops on our trips to NYC to keep our eyes open for older issues he didn't have. Eventually, we got every single one, including the first. (It's in horrible ratty condition, but it's still the first one!)

RIP Alfred. Thanks for keeping us worry free for decades.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

MAD Magazine, The Sporting News, and Book World (stand-alone section of The Washington Post) were probably the three most influential periodicals of my formative years. All three are no more as printed, stand-alone periodicals.

I have a few old ones. The Animal House one. The final M*A*S*H episode one. The Don Martin cartoons were always my favorites.

Spy versus Spy....a classic

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I have a few old ones. The Animal House one. The final M*A*S*H episode one. The Don Martin cartoons were always my favorites.
    RIP. You know, when Trump compared Pete Buttigieg to Alfred E. Neuman there were an awful lot of folks who furrowed their brows (Buttigieg included) so I guess the writing was on the wall.

Who's gonna sock it to that Spiro Agnew guy now?

I bet the methadone clinic is still going strong though.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    The magazine isn’t totally gone. It will continue as a reprint magazine for now, with occasional specials.

A big hit was moving the offices from NYC to Burbank, following the same move of its parent, DC Comics a year or two before. I don’t believe any of the previous editorial staff moved, and that affected creativity.

Of course, the general decline of magazines didn’t help, either. Adding to Newsweek and the Sporting News, which disappeared from the newsstand a while back, ESPN is ending its magazine this fall, SI went bi-weekly last year, and Entertainment Weekly will need to change its name soon, as it’ll be published monthly.

I'm now waiting for Alfred E. Newman, the Movie!

I always loved the fold-in drawing on the back.

25 cents. Cheap.

When I was around 8-9 years old in the early 80s, a babysitter gifted me her brother's huge collection of MAD, probably 20 issues from the late 70s. I started buying it then and still have the collection of ~40 issues. I gave them to my kids a few years back and they liked it so much that I subscribed. The new ones reflect the changes in culture - MAD was always pretty sexual but it has gotten moreso and everything is very revved up, not as subtle as some of the older humor, but we are talking degrees because it was never really subtle.

I loved it all...the TV and movie parodies, "The Lighter Side of...", Spy vs Spy, Don Martin, the song parodies, the back fold, the cover...all of it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I always loved the fold-in drawing on the back.

25 cents. Cheap.
    Al Jaffee was an artistic genius with those.

That being said..someone upstream called out Don Martin, and Sergio, of course. Those guys were great, no doubt.
    My fav? Dave Berg.

How it must have been to be in a room with all of those guys, oozing the creativity and talent that they had. They were the MAD that I grew up with.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    RIP. You know, when Trump compared Pete Buttigieg to Alfred E. Neuman there were an awful lot of folks who furrowed their brows (Buttigieg included) so I guess the writing was on the wall.
    Yea, the story, apparently, is that after Donald Trump started calling Buttigieg "Alfred E. Neuman" (and Mayor Peter DOES look a little like Neuman). a reporter asked Mayor Pete what he thought of being called "Alfred E. Neuman" and he replied: "Who?" And the reporter said: "You know, Alfred E. Neuman, from Mad Magazine". And Mayor Peter replied: "Who? I've never heard of him. It must be generation thing". Right then, I realized that, maybe, Buttigieg is TOO young to be President of the United States!

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, the story, apparently, is that after Donald Trump started calling Buttigieg "Alfred E. Neuman" (and Mayor Peter DOES look a little like Neuman). a reporter asked Mayor Pete what he thought of being called "Alfred E. Neuman" and he replied: "Who?" And the reporter said: "You know, Alfred E. Neuman, from Mad Magazine". And Mayor Peter replied: "Who? I've never heard of him. It must be generation thing". Right then, I realized that, maybe, Buttigieg is TOO young to be President of the United States!
    Actually, with that response I thought he might be the perfect opponent for Trump. That would be fun. But let's keep the politics on the other thread. We're mourning the loss of our childhood here.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I suppose all good things must come to an end.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nds-180972572/

MAD took up quite a bit of my misspent youth (most of my youth wasn't misspent, but for that which was, MAD was prominent).

I must admit I haven't bought one in many many years, but I still have a few on the shelf, including one from 1966 featuring the TV Batman and Robin on the cover. Of course, Alfred E. Neuman is Robin. What an iconic figure.

Sergio Aragones in the margins, Al Jaffee's fold-in on the inside back cover, Don Martin (who could spell any disgusting noise), Bergs-Eye View (The Lighter Side of ________), Spy vs. Spy, ...

Ah well.
    My dad loved it, I loved it.

I got a subscription for my kids, and they just never really got Mad. I’m not sure where I failed.

This bums me out.

Only a few issues from completing my re-reading of all my old Mads from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. And then hopefully they are off to a new home to entertain new people. Just finished this goodie from John Ficarra, Mad's Modern Disclaimers to the Ten Commandments. In part:

1. I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

"Having strange gods"...shall not be equated with the utter fascination and total adoration of such peoples as rock stars, lead characters in TV sitcoms, sports personalities, soap opera heart throbs, beefcake television anchormen and/or anyone big enough to get in People Magazine.
    My addition for the 21st century: Reality TV show celebrities.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Only a few issues from completing my re-reading of all my old Mads from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. And then hopefully they are off to a new home to entertain new people. Just finished this goodie from John Ficarra, Mad's Modern Disclaimers to the Ten Commandments. In part:

My addition for the 21st century: Reality TV show celebrities.
    And social media "influencers" - whatever those are.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    And social media "influencers" - whatever those are.
    I’m known as a social media bad influencer. FWIW.