Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

    2020 Congressional Elections

    I find this fascinating, and figure it's as good of a time as any to separate the congressional races from the White House.

    Iowan Rep. Steve King has reported a whopping $18,000 in his campaign fund as of the beginning of August. His leading primary challenger has almost $340,000. No corporate donors, nor PACS are sending any cash King's way, and yet he is still running for re-election. That is an amazing amount of hard-headedness. I'm totally curious to see where they spend that $18K, and how fast/slow. That barely puts gas in a campaign bus.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/steve-kin...085611394.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I find this fascinating, and figure it's as good of a time as any to separate the congressional races from the White House.

    Iowan Rep. Steve King has reported a whopping $18,000 in his campaign fund as of the beginning of August. His leading primary challenger has almost $340,000. No corporate donors, nor PACS are sending any cash King's way, and yet he is still running for re-election. That is an amazing amount of hard-headedness. I'm totally curious to see where they spend that $18K, and how fast/slow. That barely puts gas in a campaign bus.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/steve-kin...085611394.html
    What benefits King is that he says so much utterly outrageous stuff, he gets free coverage...and unfortunately (just my opinion) a fair amount of what comes out of his mouth is evidently acceptable to many of his constituents...

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    What benefits King is that he says so much utterly outrageous stuff, he gets free coverage...and unfortunately (just my opinion) a fair amount of what comes out of his mouth is evidently acceptable to many of his constituents...
    He won 2016 by about 80K votes and 2018 by about 10K votes. He's said plenty of things throughout his time in Iowa State Senate and Congress that would normally be considered extreme right wing or off on their own spectrum altogether. So, this ain't new and until the good people of Iowa's 4th decide they would prefer alternative representation, my guess is he's going to keep running. Giving the district's demographics, he'll be a tough out no matter what he says or how much money is sent his way from the establishment.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Wow, here's some big news...add a Georgia Senate seat to the mix. Johnny Isakson retiring:

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...aaa?li=BBnb7Kz

    Any of our resident Georgians want to weigh in on this?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Wow, here's some big news...add a Georgia Senate seat to the mix. Johnny Isakson retiring:

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...aaa?li=BBnb7Kz

    Any of our resident Georgians want to weigh in on this?
    Johnny has been ill for some time.

    This means there will be an election in 2020 to fill the unexpired two years left of his term, and again in 2022.

    Let the Abrams speculation in the press begin.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Johnny has been ill for some time.

    This means there will be an election in 2020 to fill the unexpired two years left of his term, and again in 2022.

    Let the Abrams speculation in the press begin.
    am I right in assuming this election will not be at the same time as the presidential one?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    am I right in assuming this election will not be at the same time as the presidential one?
    Good question, not sure off the top of my head.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Johnny has been ill for some time.

    This means there will be an election in 2020 to fill the unexpired two years left of his term, and again in 2022.

    Let the Abrams speculation in the press begin.
    Surprisingly, Abrams already says "no". I figured that was a no-brainer. What's up with her?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Surprisingly, Abrams already says "no". I figured that was a no-brainer. What's up with her?
    Dunno. Stacey is very smart and has a lot of options. She is still in her 40's. I am surprised to hear that though.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Surprisingly, Abrams already says "no". I figured that was a no-brainer. What's up with her?
    Waiting for VP? Realized during her last run she hates the political process and doesn’t want to be a professional ultracrepidarian?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Waiting for VP? Realized during her last run she hates the political process and doesn’t want to be a professional ultracrepidarian?
    "too soon to spork," yadda yadda yadda
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    am I right in assuming this election will not be at the same time as the presidential one?
    I believe it is at the same time, for a two year term. I assume that since both GA Senate seats will be contested, the candidates have to declare which seat they are running for? There is a lot of potential game theory going on here - if the Dems were well-organized (which is a huge if), they would determine which of the two seats is most vulnerable and put their best candidate there - I'm sure they would love to take them both but I think they would be smartest to just focus on one.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    am I right in assuming this election will not be at the same time as the presidential one?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe it is at the same time, for a two year term.
    Isakson wasn't up for reelection again until 2022. And had he run again, he would have been tough to beat given his long service to the state. But now, his seat will be on the ballot in 2020, not 2022. And whoever Gov. Brian Kemp (R) appoints to fill the immediate vacancy will have -- at best -- a year to convince voters that he or she deserves to serve out the final two years remaining on Isakson's term. (Also worth noting: The electoral record of appointed senators is not so good.)
    2020 race...that is going to be a very interesting state.

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/28/polit...020/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe it is at the same time, for a two year term. I assume that since both GA Senate seats will be contested, the candidates have to declare which seat they are running for? There is a lot of potential game theory going on here - if the Dems were well-organized (which is a huge if), they would determine which of the two seats is most vulnerable and put their best candidate there - I'm sure they would love to take them both but I think they would be smartest to just focus on one.
    I was surmising that given the control the GOP has in GA, they might want to hold the election on a date when a lesser turnout might be expect. Pure guesswork on my part...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe it is at the same time, for a two year term. I assume that since both GA Senate seats will be contested, the candidates have to declare which seat they are running for? There is a lot of potential game theory going on here - if the Dems were well-organized (which is a huge if), they would determine which of the two seats is most vulnerable and put their best candidate there - I'm sure they would love to take them both but I think they would be smartest to just focus on one.
    Problem is, the Dems won't know who the Rep candidate is for Johnny's seat until after their primary too. So kind of a blind draw there.

    I am not aware of any real animosity towards the holder of the other seat (David Perdue) who just came on in 2015 when Saxby Chambliss retired. He seems to have kept a relatively low profile while in DC.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    While Ilhan Omar is a visible and broad target for most of the American GOP, she is obviously popular enough in her own district to have been elected.
    Her re-election chances may have just taken a big hit, however. This goes beyond rumors.

    A medical official in Washington, D.C., says she split up with her husband, a political consultant, after he told her “he was romantically involved with and in love with” Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), according to divorce papers filed Tuesday.

    Beth Mynett, the medical director and health services administrator for D.C.’s Department of Corrections, said she and Tim Mynett, a partner at progressive political consulting firm E Street Group, separated in April, after he made a “devastating and shocking declaration of love” for Omar.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/ilhan-oma...153918990.html

    With a representative up for re-election every two years, they are basically on a non stop campaign. This isn't a stop that one would want to take.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    While Ilhan Omar is a visible and broad target for most of the American GOP, she is obviously popular enough in her own district to have been elected.
    Her re-election chances may have just taken a big hit, however. This goes beyond rumors.



    https://www.yahoo.com/news/ilhan-oma...153918990.html

    With a representative up for re-election every two years, they are basically on a non stop campaign. This isn't a stop that one would want to take.
    So... I am confused. Extra-marital affairs are, or are not a big deal in politics?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So... I am confused. Extra-marital affairs are, or are not a big deal in politics?
    Using campaign funds to pay for them* would still count as a big deal, I think.

    *Big IF TRUE on this one. A conservative think tank/policy center has filed a complaint with the Federal Elections Commission** alleging that Omar campaign funds were used to reimburse E Street for Mynett's travel - which, by itself, is not a problem since he's an advisor to the campaign, but would be a problem if the travel was for personal rather than professional reasons.

    **Of course, the FEC very soon will lack a quorum to act because a certain senator has refused to appoint any commissioner for four years.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Using campaign funds to pay for them* would still count as a big deal, I think.

    *Big IF TRUE on this one.
    With someone under the microscope as any of the four in "The Squad", just the affair alone is likely to be political career death knell. I won't touch any other accusations, because, as you say, they are a big IF.
    However, someone doesn't file for divorce just because they think it's a great way to get rid of a congresswoman.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Problem is, the Dems won't know who the Rep candidate is for Johnny's seat until after their primary too. So kind of a blind draw there.

    I am not aware of any real animosity towards the holder of the other seat (David Perdue) who just came on in 2015 when Saxby Chambliss retired. He seems to have kept a relatively low profile while in DC.
    Won't the Republicans likely tip their hand on the second seat based on who is named to fill the seat? One would assume that is likely the person who will run for the position.

    I am far from an expert on Perdue, but I am fairly sure that like most Republican senators, he has generally voted party line for Trump. That is enough to create animosity for many Democrats and never-Trump Republicans.

Similar Threads

  1. Midterm Elections 2018
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1869
    Last Post: 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM
  2. Shooting at Congressional baseball practice
    By davekay1971 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-16-2017, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •