Fried Chicken in Winston Salem

My granddaughter is a freshman at Wake Forest. We plan to visit her on a Sunday in mid-September. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good fried chicken place in Winston Salem? Please note: I was (and still am) a Bullocks man. Thanks.

Try Ted's Kickin Chicken. They have a website. It used to be great but I haven't been there in quite a while. They used to have a place in Lewisville.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    My granddaughter is a freshman at Wake Forest. We plan to visit her on a Sunday in mid-September. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good fried chicken place in Winston Salem? Please note: I was (and still am) a Bullocks man. Thanks.
    Slappy’s: Nashville hot chicken. It’s awesome.

Earl’s: Some terrific food, and near to Wise Man and Fiddlin’ Fish breweries.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Try Ted's Kickin Chicken. They have a website. It used to be great but I haven't been there in quite a while. They used to have a place in Lewisville.
    I dunno, Indoor. It seems everyone's writing about the new Popeye's chicken sandwich vs Chick-Fil-A's.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I dunno, Indoor. It seems everyone's writing about the new Popeye's chicken sandwich vs Chick-Fil-A's.
    No Popeye’s here, that I know of. This is Bojangles country....

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    No Popeye’s here, that I know of. This is Bojangles country...
    Stopped at a Bojangles along 95 once. Visited every rest stop along the way for the rest of the trip.

Don't go to the Church's Chicken on Patterson Avenue.

There is literally a blue sign put up out there stating "No Drugs or Prostitution." They have these blue signs all along Patterson for good reason. Not a safe area to say the least. And can't say for sure, but I'm guessing their chicken is not good.

You can see the blue sign in this photo. If you click the cursor a full 2 inches to the right of the guy to the right of the sign it will zoom in. Then put cursor 2 inches down and to right of blue sign again (near pothole near sidewalk) and it zooms in again so you can read the sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wEnoECA8QCw

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Slappy’s: Nashville hot chicken. It’s awesome.

Earl’s: Some terrific food, and near to Wise Man and Fiddlin’ Fish breweries.
    Minutes discussion and/or Ymm, Beer rarely fail/s to enter a thread...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Stopped at a Bojangles along 95 once. Visited every rest stop along the way for the rest of the trip.
    Too much tea?

Nobody's better than Chick Fil A. Shut up Popeye's...

The Hillbilly Hideaway in Walnut Cove is one of the best kept secrets in the greater W-S area. It’s a family style restaurant where one price gets you the best fried chicken in the area, along with all the country ham, meatloaf, and veggies you can eat. They are only open Friday and Saturday nights and all day Sunday.

If you are wanting something good at a sit down restaurant go downtown to Sweet Potatoes on Trade St. It's a small place and is usually crowded but oh my goodness if you like good southern home style soul food type cooking you must give this place a visit. I'm salivating just thinking about it.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    If you are wanting something good at a sit down restaurant go downtown to Sweet Potatoes on Trade St. It's a small place and is usually crowded but oh my goodness if you like good southern home style soul food type cooking you must give this place a visit. I'm salivating just thinking about it.
    +1 to that suggestion.

Anyone else fondly remember Pete Rinaldi's and TCCB ("Takin' Care of the Chicken Business")?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

There's a local 3-location chain called Mountain Fried Chicken that is pretty good. The pieces are left under a heat lamp, so you don't know how fresh they are. But when you order the tenders they cook them then. Takes 7 minutes for them to finish. Counter service, just like Bojangles.

Two W-S stores are just off Hwy. 52. One is at Akron Dr., the other at University Parkway. One is in Clemmons. Come to think of it, I think they have a place in Hickory, also.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    There's a local 3-location chain called Mountain Fried Chicken that is pretty good. The pieces are left under a heat lamp, so you don't know how fresh they are. But when you order the tenders they cook them then. Takes 7 minutes for them to finish. Counter service, just like Bojangles.

Two W-S stores are just off Hwy. 52. One is at Akron Dr., the other at University Parkway. One is in Clemmons. Come to think of it, I think they have a place in Hickory, also.
    Hmmm, freshly cooked tenders, correct location/zip code, bowling nearby (?), beer.

Dangerous combination/potential there...

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    +2 to that suggestion. This will be better than any fried chicken place you can find. And everything on the menu will scratch that same itch. I went there once and Andie McDowell was at another table. If you're in Winston this place is a must-visit.