Patent Office Sacks Tom Brady

The Patent and Trademark office has denied Tom Brady's request to trademark the term "Tom Terrific." And they were rather blunt about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/n...gtype=Homepage

Seems like a ludicrous request on the face of it, and the patent office wasn't subtle, saying that name belongs "uniquely and unmistakable" to Tom Seaver, whom Brady will have to Google evidently. He (Brady) got a "Bachelor of General Studies" degree at Michigan, which evidently does not involve sports history.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    that name belongs "uniquely and unmistakable" to Tom Seaver
    Damn straight it does.

The Patent and Trademark office has denied Tom Brady's request to trademark the term "Tom Terrific." And they were rather blunt about it.

Seems like a ludicrous request on the face of it, and the patent office wasn't subtle, saying that name belongs "uniquely and unmistakable" to Tom Seaver, whom Brady will have to Google evidently. He (Brady) got a "Bachelor of General Studies" degree at Michigan, which evidently does not involve sports history.
    Well, that's deflating.

I reviewed the file at the US Trademark Office and it appears that a Letter of Protest was filed, presumably by Tom Seaver's estate, which likely assisted (or at least provided the impetus for) the Examining Attorney at the Trademark Office to make the refusal. Letters of Protest can be filed by any aggrieved party against a trademark application if they believe they will be harmed by allowing the mark to register, but such Letters are not publicly available in the Trademark Office online system. The Examiner can disregard a Letter of Protest if they disagree with the merits, but it seems clear in this case that it was strongly considered.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The golden boy from Michigan gets a black eye. Ohio State fans get a trademark win before their inevitable trademark loss.

My favorite part of the PTO’s decision against Tom Brady:

“Furthermore, please tell your coach, Bill Belichick, not to proceed with his trademark applications for CHEATERS or CHEATING BASTARDS. We have expressly reserved those trademarks for Roy Williams.”

If only he had a Wonder Dog named Mighty Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Well, that's deflating.
    Maybe he could file for "the Great Deflator"

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Maybe he could file for "the Great Deflator"
    Is it possible to assign a trademark to someone against their will?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Damn straight it does.
    This! LGM! Tom was traded about the time I started with my firm (1977). Broke my heart. May Dick Young continue to sweat profusely where I suspect he resides.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    This! LGM! Tom was traded about the time I started with my firm (1977). Broke my heart. May Dick Young continue to sweat profusely where I suspect he resides.
    One of my good friends growing up on Long Island was a huge Mets fan and Tom Seaver was his idol. For his 11th birthday his parents bought a bunch of tickets to a game so that he and his closest friends (including me) could see Tom Terrific, who we expected to be on the mound based on the schedule and the rotation.

Of course you see where this story is going. Seaver was traded on June 15, just before that start, to the Reds, and we ended up watching Pat Zachry, one of the players he was traded for, pitch that day. To say it was deflating for an 11 year old kid would be an understatement.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    One of my good friends growing up on Long Island was a huge Mets fan and Tom Seaver was his idol. For his 11th birthday his parents bought a bunch of tickets to a game so that he and his closest friends (including me) could see Tom Terrific, who we expected to be on the mound based on the schedule and the rotation.

Of course you see where this story is going. Seaver was traded on June 15, just before that start, to the Reds, and we ended up watching Pat Zachry, one of the players he was traded for, pitch that day. To say it was deflating for an 11 year old kid would be an understatement.
    My favorite player as a kid. We even had a cinnamon/sugar sprinkler in the form of a pitcher, which of course we named Tom Seaver.

He was the boss.