Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NC State baseball coach Elliott Avent was bitten by a copperhead a few years back while he was walking his dog. I absolutely guarantee you that Elliott thinks copperhead bites are serious.

Of course it's nothing like what Elliott did to the snake.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...e77327732.html

Got a cousin that was bitten by a copperhead when he was 13 on the right big toe. He got antivenin, but still endured pain for weeks. Also, his big toe cannot straighten
    all the way out and is sometimes numb.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    NC State baseball coach Elliott Avent was bitten by a copperhead a few years back while he was walking his dog. I absolutely guarantee you that Elliott thinks copperhead bites are serious.

Of course it's nothing like what Elliott did to the snake.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...e77327732.html
    It's a tough man that can coach a game during a kidney stone attack. Oh yea don't mess with his dog.

We’ve had 3 copperhead bites in our neighborhood over the last 12-years. All got anti-venom and all were seriously but probably not critically ill and required hospital stays of several days at a cost of over $100,000. . Their ages ranged from 18-55 and all were bitten in their own yard. The most recent was an 18-YO young man who had just graduated. He walked out to his car just after dusk and cut through a flower bed covered in pine straw. I know his parents well and the bill for the anti-venom alone was $80K. A copperhead bite is probably not often lethal for an adult who gets medical attention soon after but it’s nothing to sneeze at.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    We’ve had 3 copperhead bites in our neighborhood over the last 12-years. All got anti-venom and all were seriously but probably not critically ill and required hospital stays of several days at a cost of over $100,000. . Their ages ranged from 18-55 and all were bitten in their own yard. The most recent was an 18-YO young man who had just graduated. He walked out to his car just after dusk and cut through a flower bed covered in pine straw. I know his parents well and the bill for the anti-venom alone was $80K. A copperhead bite is probably not often lethal for an adult who gets medical attention soon after but it’s nothing to sneeze at.
    I learned a thing or two from Charlie (scratch, Lotus) don't you know
    You better stay away from Copperhead Road

Seriously, all these stories are awful. Makes me thankful that my few encounters with poisonous snakes have all ended in my favor. Closest I ever got was clambering up a steep hill in CA and coming eye-to-eye with a baby rattle snake in the shade of a small alcove. It rattled, I retreated.

From the UNC Cardiac Surgery thread (posts 22 & 23) - they seems to fit here:

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    chapel hill seems the ideal place for a department specializing in treating snakes ...
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...north-carolina

"The man did not appear to have any inside knowledge as to whether basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the classes (Williams says he didn't), but he said everybody knew, and he does not have an affinity for Williams.

"You know he knew," he said. "Roy Williams is a snake."

I rest my case, Your Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    From the UNC Cardiac Surgery thread (posts 22 & 23) - they seems to fit here:
    Excellent cross-referencing/posting!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I thought I would resurrect this thread to remind everyone that this is snake season (at least in the South). I ran across this copperhead while weed-eating a couple of days ago.

A neighbor of ours posted this picture from their camp in East Texas:

C7CE3E82-0F1A-4E82-9FCC-0E7DA1C1A34A.jpg

Does the state provide a breakdown of how many snake bites are in church vs out of church?

Many years ago when I spent time on Sandy Plain in Creedmor, you could find as many copperheads as you wanted sunning themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    I thought I would resurrect this thread to remind everyone that this is snake season (at least in the South). I ran across this copperhead while weed-eating a couple of days ago.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...3329716%29.jpg

Hope you didn't kill the snake, because the one in the video isn't a venomous copperhead, but a harmless eastern milk snake.
    Last edited by Devilwin; 04-13-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post

Hope you didn't kill the snake, because the one in the video isn't a venomous copperhead, but a harmless eastern milk snake.
    I’ll defer to you (I stand corrected). However, to the uninitiated, the inclination is to kill them. I do have a question for you. My weed eater had taken off the end of its tail. Will a snake survive such an injury?

I’ll defer to you (I stand corrected). However, to the uninitiated, the inclination is to kill them. I do have a question for you. My weed eater had taken off the end of its tail. Will a snake survive such an injury?
    As long as no vitals were affected, yes, it should. Milk snakes are highly variable in color, and some color phases do resemble copperheads. But milk snakes are more slender, and the bands are more irregular than the copperhead. The head is more narrow and the eyes have round pupils where the copperhead has " cat's eye" pupils, like all pit vipers.

Just maintain proper social distance. Problem solved.

Can you believe all of the wildlife taking advantage of the "stay in place orders?" They act as if they own the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Just maintain proper social distance. Problem solved.

Can you believe all of the wildlife taking advantage of the "stay in place orders?" They act as if they own the planet.
    Not about snakes, but here’s an article about a spillover effect of the closure of restaurants on rat populations.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/13/starvi...5824-719521330

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post

Pretty sure that both of you are wrong (I know for certain that House G is, 99.9% sure that Devilwin is ) and that is a juvenile rat snake. (Markings disappear as they age.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Correct. I missed that one..

size of the snake in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Pretty sure that both of you are wrong (I know for certain that House G is, 99.9% sure that Devilwin is ) and that is a juvenile rat snake. (Markings disappear as they age.)
    Let me have a mulligan. I’m going to go out on a limb and say critter #2 is a rattlesnake.

100 per cent correct. Western diamondback.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've never seen an eastern diamondback in the wild, have always wanted to. I've seen a few timber rattlers, one here in the east (it was a beautiful freshly shed canebrake, full of color) and and a few in the mountains. I've literally almost stepped on them, and they didn't shake a tail at all. It's amazing how tolerant they are. (I'm pretty sure their tolerance stops at being stepped on or harassed.)
    Odd thing about rattlers in NC. They are on the coast, and in the mountains, and throughout the southern part of the state, but basically devoid in central NC.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    They are on the coast, and in the mountains, and throughout the southern part of the state, but basically devoid in central NC.
    Outcompeted by the snake population in Chapel Hill?