Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NC Snake Bites On The Rise

NC is always at or near the top in venomous snake bite cases, and this year is no different.
    https://www.wral.com/venomous-snake-...lina/18463427/
    This year, cases are up 67%. Most victims are bitten by copperheads, but there have been five timber rattlesnake bites, two cottonmouth, two pygmy rattlesnake. The eastern diamondback and coral snake are rare here and have not bitten anyone for years, but the potential is there.
    Copperheads are very well camouflaged, , blending in perfectly with leaf litter. Wear shoes or better yet boots, when out after dusk.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    NC is always at or near the top in venomous snake bite cases, and this year is no different.
    https://www.wral.com/venomous-snake-...lina/18463427/
    This year, cases are up 67%. Most victims are bitten by copperheads, but there have been five timber rattlesnake bites, two cottonmouth, two pygmy rattlesnake. The eastern diamondback and coral snake are rare here and have not bitten anyone for years, but the potential is there.
    Copperheads are very well camouflaged, , blending in perfectly with leaf litter. Wear shoes or better yet boots, when out after dusk.
    Are copperhead bites that dangerous? Here's a Texas study that says they are seldom treated:

The following results are of the 88 copperhead bites.
    RESULTS:

The most common presenting symptoms were pain and swelling. Eighty-five percent were of grade 1 envenomations. Ten patients had laboratory abnormalities secondary to the snakebite. Forty-four were admitted for observation. The average length of stay for patients admitted was 2 days. No patients received antivenom, and no patients required surgical intervention. There were no deaths. One patient had edema and ecchymosis that persisted for more than 1 month.
    CONCLUSIONS:

Accurate identification of the pit viper species involved in snakebites is essential. Although envenomation by a rattlesnake (Crotalus species) may require antivenom and uncommonly surgery, a bite by a copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) rarely requires any intervention other than observation. The unnecessary use of antivenom should be discouraged.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Are copperhead bites that dangerous? Here's a Texas study that says they are seldom treated:
    Their venom is slightly less toxic than the cottonmouth, and can be fatal if untreated, causing great pain, nausea, and swelling in the extremities. Tissue loss can be bad around the area of the bite. Many have died from copperhead bites. Crofab antivenin is usually administered to the victim.
    Ranking our venomous snakes for toxicity, number one is the coral snake, which is in the same family as cobras, then the eastern diamondback rattler, timber rattler, pygmy rattler, cottonmouth, copperhead. Get treatment for all bites!

Their venom is slightly less toxic than the cottonmouth, and can be fatal if untreated, causing great pain, nausea, and swelling in the extremities. Tissue loss can be bad around the area of the bite. Many have died from copperhead bites. Crofab antivenin is usually administered to the victim.
    Ranking our venomous snakes for toxicity, number one is the coral snake, which is in the same family as cobras, then the eastern diamondback rattler, timber rattler, pygmy rattler, cottonmouth, copperhead. Get treatment for all bites!
    Fair enough. No one wants a copperhead bite. I found one in the yard at my new house when I was 10 and still remember the scary experience. But you are not dealing with the evidence presented -- which is that one Texas medical center treated 88 patients with copperhead bites over 15 years -- and never once used antivenom serum. The study recommends only "observation."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If North Carolina preachers were to bring fewer snakes into church on Sunday, we could turn this thing around...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If North Carolina preachers were to bring fewer snakes into church on Sunday, we could turn this thing around...
    I think that's mostly a Tennessee thing.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I think that's mostly a Tennessee thing.
    Southwest Virginia says hi ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The article notes wet weather as a factor.
    I suspect warmer weather plays a role also, making snakes more active.

This list of fatal snake bites includes several copperheads.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
    A lady was bitten by a baby copperhead inside of a Fredricksburg Virginia steak house. She received antivenin, and still had problems.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...tes-venom-spd/

A lady was bitten by a baby copperhead inside of a Fredricksburg Virginia steak house. She received antivenin, and still had problems.
    It’s instructive how many of the deaths were caused by people intentionally handling or moving a venomous snake. Another sizable percentage were people who failed to immediately seek medical attention.

Snake in a steakhouse? Sounds rare...ba dum dum.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So are snakes on a plane...dum dum.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    So are snakes on a plane...dum dum.

Takin' my wife to Outback Snakehouse tonight...

Crikey!

Featuring Snake on the Barbie?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Featuring Snake on the Barbie?
    Now I'm hungry.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Well done.

I've got friends on Topsail Island whom I visit from time to time, every week they get a different visiting preacher...told them in no uncertain terms that if they get a guy with snakes, I'm there...none so far, but there's always hope.

I may sit near the back, legs up.

Go to West Virginia..

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Had an employee bitten by copperhead about ten years ago....he almost died....40,000 workers comp claim for the anti-venom treatment.