Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    As someone mostly divorced from emotions around this situation (I grew up in Charlotte pre-Panthers, everyone was a Redskins fan, found NFL football while living in Seattle), this seems like a positive outcome for Carolina. I've always admired Cam's game and work off the field, but never bought into his attitude. His "me first" attitude, postgame presser walk out, looking at a loose ball on the field, towel over his head stuff. Not what I look for in a team leader. He strikes me as the Harden of the NFL.

Now you've got Allen - a quiet hardworking kid with clear talent at a fraction of the cost, you've somehow managed to avoid a bad blood public breakup with your extremely popular injured QB, and you're winning games?

I suspect there are several NFL teams that would accept that situation in a hot minute.

I used to take some issues with the way Cam carried himself, but I've mostly gotten over that (I think he's dialed certain things back since his first few years in the league). What epitomized what I didn't like earlier in his career was his emphatic first down celebration in the waning minutes of an absolute blowout at the hands of (Eagles or Giants I think, can't remember). A lot of the things people criticize Cam for now are either outdated (he doesn't do those things anymore) or stupid (who cares what he wears to the press conference...have you seen the NBA?)

That said, I don't think there's any way you can put him in the conversation with Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or probably even Russel Wilson although that one is closer. When Cam is playing lights out consistently, like the year we made it to the Superbowl, or the beginning of last year, he's comparable to those guys. Obviously he is a unique athlete in terms of what he can do with his legs, and in that phase of the game he is elite. Where he falls short of those other guys is the major inconsistency in the passing game. I don't think the running ability quite overcomes some of those deficiencies/inconsistencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I used to take some issues with the way Cam carried himself, but I've mostly gotten over that (I think he's dialed certain things back since his first few years in the league). What epitomized what I didn't like earlier in his career was his emphatic first down celebration in the waning minutes of an absolute blowout at the hands of (Eagles or Giants I think, can't remember). A lot of the things people criticize Cam for now are either outdated (he doesn't do those things anymore) or stupid (who cares what he wears to the press conference...have you seen the NBA?)

That said, I don't think there's any way you can put him in the conversation with Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or probably even Russel Wilson although that one is closer. When Cam is playing lights out consistently, like the year we made it to the Superbowl, or the beginning of last year, he's comparable to those guys. Obviously he is a unique athlete in terms of what he can do with his legs, and in that phase of the game he is elite. Where he falls short of those other guys is the major inconsistency in the passing game. I don't think the running ability quite overcomes some of those deficiencies/inconsistencies.
    Maybe it's the Seahawks fan in me, but Russell Wilson is having an MVP season thus far with 22 TDs to 1 INT. Seems a strange line of demarcation.

To me the biggest difference between Russell and Cam is between the ears. Russell very rarely makes the wrong throw, and always takes care of his body - sliding or getting out of bounds to not take the big hit and risk injury. Cam prefers to go into contact and get that extra yard or two - which I respect. But it also explains why he is injury prone despite his size, while Russell hasn't missed a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Maybe it's the Seahawks fan in me, but Russell Wilson is having an MVP season thus far with 22 TDs to 1 INT. Seems a strange line of demarcation.

To me the biggest difference between Russell and Cam is between the ears. Russell very rarely makes the wrong throw, and always takes care of his body - sliding or getting out of bounds to not take the big hit and risk injury. Cam prefers to go into contact and get that extra yard or two - which I respect. But it also explains why he is injury prone despite his size, while Russell hasn't missed a start.
    Cam has had an MVP season . I agree that Wilson has a better body of work than Cam, I was just noting that I don't necessarily consider Wilson to be quite at the level of the other guys mentioned for overall body of work.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Remember in the Daniel Jones thread how people were hollering that Eli is not a HOF worthy QB?

If he ain't worthy, there's no way in hell that Cam is going to even get looked at. As was pointed out, Cam is great with community, and that's very admirable. However, aside from 2 or 3 really good seasons, he's going to be remembered more for his persona than his performance.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Remember in the Daniel Jones thread how people were hollering that Eli is not a HOF worthy QB?

If he ain't worthy, there's no way in hell that Cam is going to even get looked at. As was pointed out, Cam is great with community, and that's very admirable. However, aside from 2 or 3 really good seasons, he's going to be remembered more for his persona than his performance.
    It is hard for me to really gauge who is a Hall of Fame QB because all the reference points (the guys currently inducted) were well before my time, or at least their playing days were when I was much younger and less interested in football so I don't have a good gut feel for how current players stack up.

That said, Eli should be in, Cam (unless something changes) should be out.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It is hard for me to really gauge who is a Hall of Fame QB because all the reference points (the guys currently inducted) were well before my time, or at least their playing days were when I was much younger and less interested in football so I don't have a good gut feel for how current players stack up.

That said, Eli should be in, Cam (unless something changes) should be out.
    You are watching three lock QBs for the hall still play. Brees, Rodgers and Brady.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You are watching three lock QBs for the hall still play. Brees, Rodgers and Brady.
    Right, and Peyton Manning too (I mean I'm not watching him any more, but he's a guy that was playing during my viewing years). I can see the locks, I just don't have a good feel for the edge cases.

A logical look at saying goodbye to Cam.

In order to avoid a potential injury grievance, Hurney will wait until the Panthers' team doctor says Newton's foot is sufficiently healed before releasing him. The GM will hope that happens before the start of the 2020 league year in March so the Panthers don't have to carry his $21.1 million cap number into free agency.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...jg4?li=BBnb7Kz

NFL players can file a grievance if they are cut while injured? That's probably a good thing, but I had no idea that was the case, I thought that happened all the time.

What a great stop by McCoy right before halftime! Even better after he was given a bs call for roughing the quarterback when he legally took down Rodgers in the end zone. And even better after watching Jimmy Graham spike the ball on a touchdown that he didn't actually score on review.

Go Panthers!

Tough way to lose right there. I thought they pulled him far enough and ball crossed goal-line, but it's fair that video review didn't overturn it. Not enough video evidence to overturn call on the field. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    What a great stop by McCoy right before halftime! Even better after he was given a bs call for roughing the quarterback when he legally took down Rodgers in the end zone. And even better after watching Jimmy Graham spike the ball on a touchdown that he didn't actually score on review.

Go Panthers!
    A penalty because he tackled Rodgers. Good thing it wasn't Brady, he'd have been called for targeting, ejected, fined and suspended. Any other QB, it is intentional grounding and a safety.

Ugh. Close but no cigar. Refs were terrible as per usual these days.

Why did Rivera go for two point conversion down 24-16? Was he concerned about the snow, or was the kicker hurt - or did Ron just have a severe brain cramp?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Why did Rivera go for two point conversion down 24-16? Was he concerned about the snow, or was the kicker hurt - or did Ron just have a severe brain cramp?
    God only knows, but it was a dumb decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    God only knows, but it was a dumb decision.
    I just read an article explaining...it was "100% pure analytics" he said....but the reasoning was idiotic. Sometimes people get so nerded up with numbers they don't step back and apply common sense. Some are that way on Duke BB on this forum....but they'll likely never wander over here to this thread. You prolly know who I mean.

Not a great football weekend for Blue Devil/Panther fans.

Fire Norv, Fire Roper.

Throw in the fact that I also have ties to South Carolina, and my teams got beat by a combined 108-15...and between the three teams, only 5 FGs and no touchdowns. I think the Carolina Hurricanes scored more points this week....they had 8 in one game...more than any of these three did.