Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Rivera says Allen starts this week v the 9ers

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Don't fix what ain't broken!

Big test for the Cats this Sunday to see where they really stand.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Don't fix what ain't broken!

Big test for the Cats this Sunday to see where they really stand.
    Agreed on both points. 3 of next 5 are @49ers @Green Bay and @New Orleans with home games against Tennessee and Atlanta mixed in. Going 3 and 2 through that stretch would be a great outcome.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I find it amusing that suggestions are bubbling around that the Panthers should trade Cam to "a contender" in need of a starting level QB. Most prominently suggested: da Bears.

Don't fix what ain't broken!.
    THIS ^^ is what so many coaches (in multiple sports) miss about starters returning during a winning streak from the second string guy. I see it in FB with the QB position and in hockey with goalies. (As one example: the Carolina Hurricanes might've cost themselves an Eastern Title by bringing Mhrazek back while McIlhenney was winning).

When QBs or goalies are on a run, ride it until that run ends...THEN it's great momentum to bring the starter back. Bring the starter back while the sub has momentum, you can count on losing the momentum right away.

BTW, a little fact: A coach named Belichick kept reserve little known 6th round draft choice Tom Brady in after starter and highly paid, highly touted Drew Bledsoe was healthy...and we're still waiting for Brady to start losing...that seemed to have worked out okay...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ewwwwwwwww

Had one brief sign of hope in the 2nd half...which was instantly taken away.
    Allen is gonna be soaking in an ice bath the whole flight home.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Ewwwwwwwww

Had one brief sign of hope in the 2nd half...which was instantly taken away.
    Allen is gonna be soaking in an ice bath the whole flight home.
    After 6 games, I shared the following hot take:

Kyle Allen is the Herb Sendek of NFL Quarterbacks. He isn't flashy or fast, he (typically) doesn't make many mistakes, and he beats the teams he's supposed to. But he's not elite, and you're not winning a championship with him.

It's probably still too early to say that with any sincerity, to be fair. But the loss does pave the way for the Panthers to ease Cam back into the lineup vs. a beatable Titans team. Had Allen played well, even in a loss, it would have been very difficult to sit him in light of Cam's struggles.

All that being said, if Cam still looks like he has the last 12 months, the armchair coaches will be at his throat.

Also as an aside - has anyone else noticed how no one in Carolina ever criticizes the Defense? We just gave up 51 points on the road, and I've seen numerous posts claiming it is 100% the coach's fault, or Allen's fault for throwing too many picks and not giving the defense a chance to rest, or even Cam's fault somehow (drama, had he played it would have been worse, etc.). But it's never the defense. Why?
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    After 6 games, I shared the following hot take:

Kyle Allen is the Herb Sendek of NFL Quarterbacks. He isn't flashy or fast, he (typically) doesn't make many mistakes, and he beats the teams he's supposed to. But he's not elite, and you're not winning a championship with him.

It's probably still too early to say that with any sincerity, to be fair. But the loss does pave the way for the Panthers to ease Cam back into the lineup vs. a beatable Titans team. Had Allen played well, even in a loss, it would have been very difficult to sit him in light of Cam's struggles.

All that being said, if Cam still looks like he has the last 12 months, the armchair coaches will be at his throat.

Also as an aside - has anyone else noticed how no one in Carolina ever criticizes the Defense? We just gave up 51 points on the road, and I've seen numerous posts claiming it is 100% the coach's fault, or Allen's fault for throwing too many picks and not giving the defense a chance to rest, or even Cam's fault somehow (drama, had he played it would have been worse, etc.). But it's never the defense. Why?
    100% agree with D comment. Aside from the safety and Luke's INT, they may just as well have stayed in Charlotte. Those long runs the Niners rattled off were abysmal to watch. Defense has seemed to be a strong point this season, but both sides of the ball were pretty depressing yesterday.

The Panthers and Duke football....UUGGHHH ,,....please let the season be over with already 😖

I am revising my 14-2 preseason prediction to 13-3.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    The Panthers and Duke football...UUGGHHH ,,...please let the season be over with already 😖
    Hockey's here....the good guys are 7-3-1.

We were remiss and neglected to comment on the solid victory this week, and yet another outstanding performance by CmC.
    Also, nice job of recovering from a bad game by Allen, who once again looked like the guy that strung 4 victories together.

Panthers place Cam Newton on IR

Sad to see Newton's season end like this, but I think it's for the best. He needs to focus on rehabbing his foot and shoulder, and it's tough to do that when you are living week to week. I wonder if he has played his last game as a Panther. He's due to make around $21m next season if he's on the roster. That's a lot for anyone, and it's pretty clear he's not worth that at this point in his career. The $21M question is what is he worth, and can he still play? I personally think they trade him before the start of next year and move on.

Panthers will get a nice long look at Kyle Allen to decide if he is their future. Building a solid team around a rookie is not a bad strategy if the rookie can manage the game effectively. So far Allen has done that.
    "There can BE only one."

Panthers will get a nice long look at Kyle Allen to decide if he is their future. Building a solid team around a rookie is not a bad strategy if the rookie can manage the game effectively. So far Allen has done that.
    They have, but Allen better make the most of what's left in the season. It's a bumper crop QB draft year. I will not be surprised if we've seen the last of Sideshow Cam.

They have, but Allen better make the most of what's left in the season. It's a bumper crop QB draft year. I will not be surprised if we've seen the last of Sideshow Cam.
    Regardless of what you think about him when healthy he has been a great QB. Maybe not in the traditional sense but when looking at stats that matter, i.e. putting points on the board, he is almost unequalled. When totalling his rushing and passing stats, mainly touchdowns, most will agree he has been one of the most productive QB's in the league during his tenure. The big caveat I mentioned though is his health. He has been hurt a lot. He has played hurt a lot. Now the question is will he ever be able to produce the numbers he once did and in my opinion the answer is no. We owe him too much money to gamble at this point. Trade him to a team willing to take a risk, get what you can now and draft another QB and let him, Allen and Grier battle it out next year to see who wins the spot.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Regardless of what you think about him when healthy he has been a great QB. Maybe not in the traditional sense but when looking at stats that matter, i.e. putting points on the board, he is almost unequalled. When totalling his rushing and passing stats, mainly touchdowns, most will agree he has been one of the most productive QB's in the league during his tenure. The big caveat I mentioned though is his health. He has been hurt a lot. He has played hurt a lot. Now the question is will he ever be able to produce the numbers he once did and in my opinion the answer is no. We owe him too much money to gamble at this point. Trade him to a team willing to take a risk, get what you can now and draft another QB and let him, Allen and Grier battle it out next year to see who wins the spot.
    Great QB may be a bit of a stretch, but he has been spectacular at times and the key player to the Panthers' success - when they've had it.

Ironically, his most spectacular season physically was his rookie season...most of his biggest per game totals were that season, his only 400 yard passing games were his first two games ever, and he had more "explosives" through the air and on the ground in that season. Sometimes I think all this "game management" and so on turned a big Michael Vick into Trent Dilfer.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Great QB may be a bit of a stretch, but he has been spectacular at times and the key player to the Panthers' success - when they've had it.

Ironically, his most spectacular season physically was his rookie season...most of his biggest per game totals were that season, his only 400 yard passing games were his first two games ever, and he had more "explosives" through the air and on the ground in that season. Sometimes I think all this "game management" and so on turned a big Michael Vick into Trent Dilfer.
    What? He's a top tier qb with only Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and maybe Wilson ahead of him. He's been very involved in the community, shows more passion for playing than probably any qb outside of Brady and Rivers, cares more about winning than his numbers and health, he goes out of his way to engage with children who are his biggest fan base, and he's stayed out of legal and performance enhancement troubles. His current trajectory had him easily walking into the hall of fame.

I've had a few people try to argue he wasn't that great but if you do a blind stats analysis I've never had anyone rank him worse than 6th. I need to find that spreadsheet again. Not to mention most of his career was spent with one of the worst pass blocking lines which is also what caused Luck to go ahead and retire. Plus he doesn't even take up much of the cap. He ranks right now at 19th highest average salary for qbs.
    Last edited by JNort; 11-05-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Sad to see Newton's season end like this, but I think it's for the best. He needs to focus on rehabbing his foot and shoulder, and it's tough to do that when you are living week to week. I wonder if he has played his last game as a Panther. He's due to make around $21m next season if he's on the roster. That's a lot for anyone, and it's pretty clear he's not worth that at this point in his career. The $21M question is what is he worth, and can he still play? I personally think they trade him before the start of next year and move on.

I’m on the fence as to whether Cam is done as a Panther, or not. The $21MM he earns is good for 19th in the league for qb compensation. I don’t see anybody lower than Cam that would excite me as the starting QB. I don’t see the Panthers paying more/prying a big name away. To do better is going to require a top draft pick trade to get someone like Tua.

The unanswerable question is whether or not Cam will ever be healthy enough to play at a high level again. Panther or not, he’ll land and play somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m on the fence as to whether Cam is done as a Panther, or not. The $21MM he earns is good for 19th in the league for qb compensation. I don’t see anybody lower than Cam that would excite me as the starting QB. I don’t see the Panthers paying more/prying a big name away. To do better is going to require a top draft pick trade to get someone like Tua.

The unanswerable question is whether or not Cam will ever be healthy enough to play at a high level again. Panther or not, he’ll land and play somewhere.
    Precisely. If Cam can come back healthy in all for it, if not idk what we are gonna do. Allen has shown he is a capable backup but shouldn't be startingand i have no confidence in Grier but would like us to give him a shot just to see.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    What? He's a top tier qb with only Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and maybe Wilson ahead of him. He's been very involved in the community, shows more passion for playing than probably any qb outside of Brady and Rivers, cares more about winning than his numbers and health, he goes out of his way to engage with children who are his biggest fan base, and he's stayed out of legal and performance enhancement troubles. His current trajectory had him easily walking into the hall of fame.

I've had a few people try to argue he wasn't that great but if you do a blind stats analysis I've never had anyone rank him worse than 6th. I need to find that spreadsheet again. Not to mention most of his career was spent with one of the worst pass blocking lines which is also what caused Luck to go ahead and retire. Plus he doesn't even take up much of the cap. He ranks right now at 19th highest average salary for qbs.
    That's a fairly emotional and defensive soliloquy you got going there...and I reject many of your assumptions. He is great with the kids and the community, I'll grant you that, and that's admirable. But take out his rookie numbers, and his outlier year in 2015, and he's much lower than 6th, and hasn't done anything like that in several years. I wanted Cam to be drafted by the Panthers, and was a Cam fan for a while. But something is very wrong with him now...he's barely a shell of what he was. It's sad at such a young age. And he never did have the weapons Dehlomme had.

The ESPN Panther reporter David Newton wrote an article claiming that Cam has played his last game as a Panther. I was surprised he was as sure as he was about that.