Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No Cam on Sunday, not even making the trip.

Not sure what setback he could run into by being on the sideline. Anyway, a good game for Allen to get his second start, with both teams at 0-2 (Actually Az is 0-1-1, but either way, they haven't won a game either.). Olsen is questionable, which knowing his history with injuries isn't shocking.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/panthe...zona/18647519/
    I think "don't want another setback" is in reference to not rushing him back to practice or game action. I don't think it is terribly uncommon for rehabbing players not to travel, but I could be mistaken and it probably varies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation.

I maintain that NFL owners are so, um, frugal.
    I maintain that NFL owners are far from frugal in their football operations. That is simply not the case. Hasn't been since the Browns moved to Baltimore....because the owner was paying several players more than he made.

Given what I have seen Allen do in limited minutes, its hard to believe anything other than Cam is done.

To be clear, all things being equal, you’d expect a healthy Cam to put together a better performance than Allen.

Allen looks fantastic so far. Unfortunately so does Murray.

Our defense needs to step it up.

It's a small sample size but Allen looks like he's been doing this for years. Seems very comfortable and relaxed out there.

Cam who?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Giants made the change, Panthers can follow.

Today was the first time I've had fun watching the Cats play in a long while.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

feels good to be on the winning side for the first time in 9 games....Allen was a focused stud today...

who knows what will happen with cam...I'm tired of apologizing for him...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    feels good to be on the winning side for the first time in 9 games...Allen was a focused stud today...

who knows what will happen with cam...I'm tired of apologizing for him...
    I'm guessing, hoping, that the same feeling is palpable with Tepper. Hopefully it is with the coaching staff, too. The NFL is not high on sentiment when it comes to winning and losing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Allen’s sample size is one against a team that might be more woeful than the Panthers.

Cam came to Charlotte hungry and ready to prove the doubters wrong.
    I’m guessing some of that hunger has dulled over time.

Perhaps Allen has some of that same fire in his belly.

If Allen can play like he did today every week, Cam is done.
    A misstep or two, and I expect Cam may get another shot.

Not knowing Cam’s health, I’d like to see the Panthers keep Allen at QB and ride the hot hand.

Allen was a beast. But mark my words, they are paying Newton too much for him to sit if he's healthy. I won't like it, but...

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not knowing Cam’s health, I’d like to see the Panthers keep Allen at QB and ride the hot hand.
    THIS^^^.

I don't who the first person was to utter the absurd idea "you can't lose your job to injury." Ask Drew Bledsoe. I have no official stats on this, but it certainly seems to me that when the back up QB has the hot hand, yanking him the very minute the starter is healthy almost always works out poorly. Same for goal tenders in hockey. Ride the subs as long as they're hot, and when they're not, you have a starter to go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

I don't who the first person was to utter the absurd idea "you can't lose your job to injury." ...
    It wasn't Wally Pipp.

Giants made the change, Panthers can follow.

Today was the first time I've had fun watching the Cats play in a long while.
    The Colts had the change made for them. It's working out for them as well...3-0 if their over the hill kicker could still kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Allen was a beast. But mark my words, they are paying Newton too much for him to sit if he's healthy. I won't like it, but...
    I'm not sure if Cam is actually going to be "healthy" again this season, if ever. He might recover from any acute injuries (foot, etc.), but I'm not sure his shoulder will ever be totally "right" after all the problems he's had with it. They might put Cam back in at some point in the next several weeks, but if he looks anything like he did in the first two games I don't see any way he finishes the game.

No Cam this Sunday. Such a pity...

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/panthe...xans/18652961/

As for when Cam is healthy?
    Rivera said when Newton is healthy he'll return to the starting lineup.

"He's our quarterback and he's who we rely on," Rivera said. "But for now we're going to stick with Kyle and we'll keep rolling and see how things unfold as we go forward."

So let's say Allen comes out Sunday against the Texans with a repeat performance and let's say Cam practices all the following week and is ready to go the following Sunday, who starts?

My heart says Allen but my gut says they will default to Cam which will be unfortunate because at that point the kid will have earned it.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I'd take him. Like I posted upthread, our backups are NOT good, so even a rusty Kap has to be as good or better than those guys. And he'd improve once he got his game legs back.
    I just remembered that comment I posted a few days ago.

Those words are so delicious...didn't even need to season them before eating.

Better or worse than eating a W?

...well, comments are like wine and cheese...some age better than others...

May not be healthy this year:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...avoid-surgery/

I don't know who Liz Franc is, or how she messed up Cam's foot so badly, but starting QBs are on the Endangered Species list ...