Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd take him. Like I posted upthread, our backups are NOT good, so even a rusty Kap has to be as good or better than those guys. And he'd improve once he got his game legs back.
    Maybe, but why not just start tanking now?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Maybe, but why not just start tanking now?
    We have too many teams competing to be at the bottom of the barrel to take that route. It's one thing if there are only one or two teams of Miamiesque ineptitude, but this season there is a flood of mediocrity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We have too many teams competing to be at the bottom of the barrel to take that route. It's one thing if there are only one or two teams of Miamiesque ineptitude, but this season there is a flood of mediocrity.
    Sure, but a top 5 pick is better than a 12-16 pick.

This could be a QB rich draft (Tua, Herbert, Fromm all seem like top 10 picks)... will the Panthers look for Cam's successor?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This could be a QB rich draft (Tua, Herbert, Fromm all seem like top 10 picks)... will the Panthers look for Cam's successor?
    I predict yes....I think there's no interest in re-signing Cam after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Treading very carefully...
    Already lots of QB health issues across the league.

Panthers have Eric Reed. Would they consider Kaepernick if Cam is hurt enough to be IR bound?

Eli might be available...

I'd take him. Like I posted upthread, our backups are NOT good, so even a rusty Kap has to be as good or better than those guys. And he'd improve once he got his game legs back.
    If the Panthers wanted a capable and experienced backup on their roster, they would have kept Heinecke in the preseason. They opted to keep (essentially) two rookies and develop them rather than hold a capable journeyman in reserve. Bringing someone like Cap or Eli on means they have to cut one of their rookies (or carry 4 QB's on the roster). I think they'd more likely throw the rookies out there and risk tanking the season to see whether either has promise than overpay for a slightly over the hill veteran on a 1 year deal.
    "There can BE only one."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think the Kap speculation is a moot point anyway. Regardless of talent and skill, he is too divisive. Half a team's fanbase might be ok with it, or even happy about it, but there would be a sizable chunk that would be very upset. "Very upset" = potential boycotts, bashing, and less revenue.

This is pretty much why the teams that have been contacted in the last week or two by his agent haven't even returned phone calls.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think the Kap speculation is a moot point anyway. Regardless of talent and skill, he is too divisive. Half a team's fanbase might be ok with it, or even happy about it, but there would be a sizable chunk that would be very upset. "Very upset" = potential boycotts, bashing, and less revenue.

This is pretty much why the teams that have been contacted in the last week or two by his agent haven't even returned phone calls.
    I'm assuming this is the last season of this controversy. Well, assuming no one picks him up. With each passing year of, uh, Sabbatical, it is easier to justify not calling Kap back for reasons other than politics.

That and the fact that after bursting onto the scene like a meteor for a couple years, the magic seems to have died - long before any of this other mess started. If an NFL team (ie, coach, GM, owner triumvirate) thought he could help them win, they would have signed him - knowing the fans would come back to a winner.

Which kind of brings us full circle to Cam....the magic is gone from him also. He passed for almost 900 yards in his FIRST TWO NFL games...well over 400 in each game...I think he's rarely broken 300 in the nine years since.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That and the fact that after bursting onto the scene like a meteor for a couple years, the magic seems to have died - long before any of this other mess started. If an NFL team (ie, coach, GM, owner triumvirate) thought he could help them win, they would have signed him - knowing the fans would come back to a winner.

Which kind of brings us full circle to Cam...the magic is gone from him also. He passed for almost 900 yards in his FIRST TWO NFL games...well over 400 in each game...I think he's rarely broken 300 in the nine years since.
    Kap for Cam sorta makes sense, given the Panthers read/option playbook.

Kaepernick was benched in favor of Blaine Gabbert, a 5-22 career quarter back at the time....in 2015.

San Fran stayed with him as long as they could, but beat writers reported they were starting to lose half the locker room because of his offensive ineptitude. Defenses had adjusted to his play, and he didn't respond well. He was widely seen as a rapidly regressing quarterback.

That was four years ago, and he hasn't played since. I'm not sure why anyone still thinks he can still play and is worth a shot, when he couldn't even beat out Blaine Gabbert to keep his job in San Fran.

Everytime this subject comes up, which is way too often, I always tell people, if he could still play, he would've had a job as soon as San Fran released him.

Teams will put up with a lot of outside noise if you can still bring it, he obviously can't.

Michael Vick is a perfect example of getting a second chance because he was still good.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Kaepernick

Everytime this subject comes up, which is way too often, I always tell people, if he could still play, he would've had a job as soon as San Fran released him.

Teams will put up with a lot of outside noise if you can still bring it, he obviously can't.
    Except that the undisclosed seven figure settlement from the NFL is a clear statement that something else was at play.
    I understand where you're coming from, but every time I watch Ryan Fitzpatrick go to yet another team, I wonder why Colin hasn't at least gotten a few snaps somewhere to test his arm and his legs. I can't imagine another Super Bowl QB who fell further out of favor at such a young age without being injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Except that the undisclosed seven figure settlement from the NFL is a clear statement that something else was at play.
    No, it's a clear signal that the NFL wanted the issue to go away. Seven figures in NFL QB terms is chump change...even for one year.

No, it's a clear signal that the NFL wanted the issue to go away. Seven figures in NFL QB terms is chump change...even for one year.
    Well, it's not "chump change" for a washed up quarterback. And, if the goal was to make it go away, it was a horrible strategy. We're still discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, it's not "chump change" for a washed up quarterback. And, if the goal was to make it go away, it was a horrible strategy. We're still discussing.
    For the NFL to settle a suit? Anything less than ten figures is chump change. And the fact that it didn't work, or not fully, isn't the point. A lot of settlements are made to make something go away - and then that something doesn't go away.

For the NFL to settle a suit? Anything less than ten figures is chump change. And the fact that it didn't work, or not fully, isn't the point. A lot of settlements are made to make something go away - and then that something doesn't go away.
    I'm not sure the right cutoff for "chump change" is 7% of annual revenue (you probably need to knock a digit off, maybe two), but the second part is certainly true.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm not sure the right cutoff for "chump change" is 7% of annual revenue (you probably need to knock a digit off, maybe two), but the second part is certainly true.
    it's called exaggeration to make a point...Kaepernick's settlement was incidental loose change to the NFL

it's called exaggeration to make a point...Kaepernick's settlement was incidental loose change to the NFL
    Thanks for the explanation.

I maintain that NFL owners are so, um, frugal as to disagree that anything with that many zeroes is "change." Additionally, they were insistent a la Lance Armstrong that no collusion had occurred; any "settlement" must have been a galling pill to swallow.

Regardless, my original point was that if CK doesn't get a call from the Panthers (about as close to a perfect fit of a playbook as he could hope for) he can probably start his post-playing career in earnest.

I would also challenge anyone to find another QB who was in the Super Bowl and then out of the league without sustaining an injury at Kap's age. A rather precipitous fall from grace, if you ascribe to the "he just is not that good" theory.

No Cam on Sunday, not even making the trip.

Rivera says Newton will not travel with the team to Arizona with the team, adding "we've got to wait it out. We don't want another setback."
    Not sure what setback he could run into by being on the sideline. Anyway, a good game for Allen to get his second start, with both teams at 0-2 (Actually Az is 0-1-1, but either way, they haven't won a game either.). Olsen is questionable, which knowing his history with injuries isn't shocking.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/panthe...zona/18647519/