Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Sorry for him, but it had to happen. Now dc too.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Riverbottom Ron had to go, I'm happy. Also happy that Norv has been relegated to a towel boy for the rest of the season.

Not too thrilled they are keeping the position in the family, however. Hoping that "like father, like son" will not be the case.

Fascinating you see special assistant to HC as a demotion. I see it as HC behind the scenes and a promotion for his son to OC.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Fascinating you see special assistant to HC as a demotion. I see it as HC behind the scenes and a promotion for his son to OC.
    I see it more as a "Stand in the corner until the season is over" statement. If Norv stays, then the team is just as lost next season as they were this year. So they might as well let someone as call the plays til we finish out, even if it is his kid.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was super surprised that Tepper did this now. It's not like Fewell is going to get us in the playoffs, so I don't see the advantage.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Maybe with Ron out we can give Grier a try at qb? Dang near anything is better than Allen continuing on. I saw Grier play in college and he was great but I don't see him becoming anything in the NFL either. I would like us to try though, if we don't plan on bringing Cam back that is.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I was super surprised that Tepper did this now. It's not like Fewell is going to get us in the playoffs, so I don't see the advantage.
    This is why Norv is special assistant.
    Not to take over, to help Fewell.

Haven’t googled yet- any reason why he got the interim nod over anybody else on the staff?

So who is the best next coach for the Panthers?

Eric Bieneme? Josh McDaniels?

A college coach?

Much like “how do the Panthers do better than Cam”, I don’t see a great answer to “how do the Panthers do better than Rivera”.

A college coach?

Much like “how do the Panthers do better than Cam”, I don’t see a great answer to “how do the Panthers do better than Rivera”.
    Cutcliffe!

A college coach?

Absolutely no to McDaniels. Nothing indicates he would make a good head coach. There are things that indicate he would be a bad head coach, and at the very least he is flakey. Don't know enough about Bieniemy (because Reed is so heavily involved in that offense it is hard to know how much is coming from him) but he is well regarded as the next offensive genius by people who theoretically would know.

I would have to think Lincoln Riley is a candidate from the college ranks. Nobody else jumps out at me as a good or likely choice.

As far as NFL coordinators, I'm not familiar enough with all the teams, but this list might provide some potential candidates: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/27/nf...aches-to-watch

look at ron's record. looks like he just might be the herb sendek of the nfl

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.07.45 PM.jpg
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    look at ron's record. looks like he just might be the herb sendek of the nfl

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.07.45 PM.jpg
    I would have thought that would be Jeff Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I would have to think Lincoln Riley is a candidate from the college ranks. Nobody else jumps out at me as a good or likely choice.

As far as NFL coordinators, I'm not familiar enough with all the teams, but this list might provide some potential candidates: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/27/nf...aches-to-watch
    That would be an intriguing hire to be sure...and not that long ago he was OC at ECU...but can the Panthers pay what OU is paying? Or would they? And now Riley gets to coach pros against college kids about 9 games a year...and maybe 2-3-4 against pro players. Would he want to face the pros 16X a year? He's got a great great gig now.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Tepper has ties to Mike McCarthy who is available right now so that is a possibility. I would take a hard look at the 49ers DC Robert Saleh. Young, innovative, and what a defense he has put together. I would imagine both of these guys will be head coaches somewhere next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Tepper has ties to Mike McCarthy who is available right now so that is a possibility. I would take a hard look at the 49ers DC Robert Saleh. Young, innovative, and what a defense he has put together. I would imagine both of these guys will be head coaches somewhere next season.
    What are his ties to McCarthy? File that one under "do not want" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    While I don't know any more than the guys writing and speculating, I do agree with them that Tellep hiring a DC would be a surprise. He seems to be focused on offensive production moving forward, so someone like Saleh would be a surprise. Not impossible, just surprising.

While I don't know any more than the guys writing and speculating, I do agree with them that Tellep hiring a DC would be a surprise. He seems to be focused on offensive production moving forward, so someone like Saleh would be a surprise. Not impossible, just surprising.
    I don't think that rules out an HC from the defensive side with a well thought of offensive mind at OC, but you're probably right.

My intuition tells me that defensive oriented head coaches who let a bright OC do their own thing on the offensive side are more successful than the reverse, but I have literally no hard evidence or numbers to back up that intuition.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    What are his ties to McCarthy? File that one under "do not want" as well.
    Sorry, I think it is only a loose association in that they are both from Pittsburgh. He did help develop Rogers, but that relationship soured. He may be a better candidate for a place with a clear starter at QB like Cleveland maybe.

In his presser, Tepper noted that he wanted to start looking for a new HC, and he respected Rivera too much to do so behind his back. Several players have responded with words of support, and to a man everyone in the organization has stated that Rivera is the epitome of class. So I can buy that this was done up front to avoid weekly whispers about Rivera's job security and be up front with the guy. But I think Rivera earned the right to finish out the season.

Biggest surprise to me is that Hurney wasn't fired first, and that's probably my biggest criticism timing-wise. Normally the GM picks the coach, and no one thinks Marty will get that responsibility. So why not get a new GM established first and then go find your coach?
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    In his presser, Tepper noted that he wanted to start looking for a new HC, and he respected Rivera too much to do so behind his back. Several players have responded with words of support, and to a man everyone in the organization has stated that Rivera is the epitome of class. So I can buy that this was done up front to avoid weekly whispers about Rivera's job security and be up front with the guy. But I think Rivera earned the right to finish out the season.

Biggest surprise to me is that Hurney wasn't fired first, and that's probably my biggest criticism timing-wise. Normally the GM picks the coach, and no one thinks Marty will get that responsibility. So why not get a new GM established first and then go find your coach?
    Yep, it made sense after reading his comments that he made the move now, and it will probably work out best for both parties that he did. (High speculation that Rivera will be coaching DJ next year.) It sounds like he is keeping Hurney, but bringing on an assistant, as well as another front office person or two.

I like Tepper's comment about how fans shouldn't expect a miracle next season, that he is building for the long run. I'd like a miracle, but also like the idea of being consistently good.

I don't think that rules out an HC from the defensive side with a well thought of offensive mind at OC...
    Zac Roper?
    Bob Green