Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    I was lucky enough to be in the end zone seating at Panthers stadium when Keuchly intercepted Brady (the other Brady, lol) to seal a victory against the Patriots.

I was stunned when the Panthers drafted Keuchly.
    Didn’t know much about him to have an opinion.
    As soon as I saw him play, I knew he’d be both a star and not last long in the league.
    Keuchly gave everything he had, on every play.
    Absolute joy to watch.
    I am both sad its over, and glad it happened, for Keuchly.

I offer nothing other than thanks, and wishing him full health and long life.

Thank you Luuuuuuuuuuuuke!
    Keep Pounding!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Luke walks away from $10.8M next year, and he leaves a monstrous hole in the center of a defense that was already in severe rebuilding mode. I was pretty shocked honestly; I figured the Panthers would keep him at least thru the end of his contract and then maybe let him walk. Tepper's going to have to go after some expensive FA's, b/c there aren't enough players on the roster to field a team at this point. And you can't replace a Luke Kuechley.

Luke didn't say why he was retiring, but the concussion theory is the best explanation I have seen. He's had two big ones that we know about, and likely several more. I wonder if he was starting to see the effects of cognitive decline and decided to step away instead of risking further damage to himself.

Current prospects for the Panthers in 2020 look very dim. They are in full on rebuilding mode now, and are going to need a rock solid draft just to be competitive.
    Not much to disagree with in your post...I think concussions are at least one of the major concerns. Another is that Luke is elite...and as he's taken hits, he was losing speed and his ability to pass cover was not what it used to be. I just don't think he wants to play if he can't be elite. He was elite all through HS and all through college...and your'e right, what a joy he was to watch, and what a credit to the organization. He will forever be a Panther and only a Panther.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I am not disappointed by this news. Cam gave a few good seasons, and maybe under a different system he would have given us more. However, time to move on.
    And while I kind of figured this was coming, with Luke being gone, new coaches, etc, etc...I'm getting excited to see what this season brings! The draft is going to be fun to watch. Totally New Team!

Thanks Cam, you made lots of kids in CLT happy football holders.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...SkX?li=BBnb7Kz

EDIT...on the thought in this article..
    "There’s also some sense that could be made in Carolina tanking this coming season and targeting Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 NFL Draft. After all, Rhule is in it for the long haul. He inked a seven-year contract to coach the Panthers."
    Screw that. So many times no...for so many reasons.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I am not disappointed by this news. Cam gave a few good seasons, and maybe under a different system he would have given us more. However, time to move on.
    And while I kind of figured this was coming, with Luke being gone, new coaches, etc, etc...I'm getting excited to see what this season brings! The draft is going to be fun to watch. Totally New Team!

The "news" being that the Panthers will try to trade Cam.

To whom? Who would want to give up anything significant for Cam?

Is it the idea of tanking or the idea of targeting Lawrence that you don't like?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Is it the idea of tanking or the idea of targeting Lawrence that you don't like?
    Tanking. If the Panthers suck while trying to play well, that is one thing, but if they intentionally suck, I'll have no interest in watching for a whole season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The "news" being that the Panthers will try to trade Cam.

To whom? Who would want to give up anything significant for Cam?
    So, lets look at teams that need a QB:
    Colts
    Bucs
    Bears
    Dolphins
    Cincinnati
    Denver
    Redskins (Haha, just kidding, but who doesn't want to see the Cam/Rivera reunion?)

And some that might:
    Oakland
    New England
    Cleveland
    Chargers

Some of those teams (i.e. the Bears) probably rightly feel they are basically a QB away from being a real contender. Some are a QB and a couple other pieces away. You can absolutely get one of the teams above to bite on a trade for Cam. You aren't going to be getting multiple first rounders for him or anything, but I think multiple picks are in play. If you get at least one pick in the top 3 rounds I think the Panthers have made out well, and they could possibly get 2 from the right team if Cam can work out and show he is healthy.

Panthers get their DC. Rhule is bringing Phil Snow with him from Baylor.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/panthe...ator/18898479/

Not thrilled by this, we are going to have such unproven experience in the big chairs. I hope we get surprised.

Panthers get their DC. Rhule is bringing Phil Snow with him from Baylor.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/panthe...ator/18898479/

Not thrilled by this, we are going to have such unproven experience in the big chairs. I hope we get surprised.
    Arguably the most experienced coach on the staff so far (either by years spent at his new NFL position in college or by years spent in the NFL in any capacity). I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not convinced that a "pretty good college staff" is going to get it done at the pro level.

Borrowed from a Panthers message board (with a few edits to add additional context). That seems like an awful lot of college at all levels to me. I'm especially un-sold on bringing in a college S&C guy.

CONFIRMED OR REPORTED:
    Offensive Coordinator: LSU Passing Game Coordinator Joe Brady
    Defensive Coordinator: Baylor Defensive Coordinator Phil Snow
    Assistant QB Coach: Dolphins Offensive Quality Control guy Matt Lombardi
    WR Coach: Baylor Receiver Coach Frisman Jackson
    DL Coach: Former Colts DL Coach Mike Phair
    Defensive Run Game Coordinator: Former Browns and Panthers LB Coach Al Holcomb
    Defensive Backs Coach: Baylor Cornerback Coach Evan Cooper (unclear if a separate safeties coach is coming)
    Strength and Conditioning Coach: Baylor S&C Coach Jeremy Scott

STILL WAITING ON WORD:

QB Coach: Interviewed Ben McAdoo, Mike McCoy and Scott Linehan
    RB Coach: No word on anyone other than Jake Peetz (current Panthers RB coach)
    TE Coach: Rumored to be Ex-Lions TE Coach Kevin Gilbride Jr
    OL Coach: Interviewed former Giants and Dolphins OL Coach Pat Flaherty
    Assistant DL Coach: Reported to be Baylor DL COach Frank Okam
    LB Coach: Speculated to be Baylor LB Coach Mike Siravo
    Special Teams Coach: Chase Blackburn expected to be retained

Arguably the most experienced coach on the staff so far (either by years spent at his new NFL position in college or by years spent in the NFL in any capacity). I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not convinced that a "pretty good college staff" is going to get it done at the pro level.
    Right. Not questioning that he doesn't have experience, he's been a coach forever. But only for 4 years in the NFL and without looking I'm guessing those were at minor assistant positions. 41st ranked D in the college game doesn't scream excitement to me. Plus, he has been DC at SEVEN schools! And yet he's never been head coach? Did those schools fire him? That's a lot of lateral movement.

Right. Not questioning that he doesn't have experience, he's been a coach forever. But only for 4 years in the NFL and without looking I'm guessing those were at minor assistant positions. 41st ranked D in the college game doesn't scream excitement to me. Plus, he has been DC at SEVEN schools! And yet he's never been head coach? Did those schools fire him? That's a lot of lateral movement.
    Correct, none of our coaches have any experience beyond minor assistant positions in the NFL (except our Special Teams coach, who we retained from last year).

Who knows if this will all work out....but Rhule is driven by analytics and types for players, and perhaps on coaches too. The hope...is that while this staff is very light on NFL experience, that they are a young staff maybe ahead of the curve on analytics and the type cast for players they want.

Greg Olsen leaves the Panthers, but isn't retiring.
    "The team and I are both on the same page that it is best we go in different directions for now," Olsen said in a statement released by the team. "On the field, I will always cherish the nine seasons we shared together. The wins, the losses, standing at midfield holding the Halas Trophy as NFC champs. The reality of going to the Super Bowl was beyond words, as was the disappointment of falling short."
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...gree-part-ways

Kinda stunned Olsen isn’t retiring.
    Dislike the thought of him playing for another team.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I was lucky enough to be in the end zone seating at Panthers stadium when Keuchly intercepted Brady (the other Brady, lol) to seal a victory against the Patriots.
    we must have been sitting right next to each other... what a thrill to see brady screaming at the ref as they walked off the field....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Greg Olsen leaves the Panthers, but isn't retiring.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...gree-part-ways
    i would guess they wanted a severe discount...greg's too good to work for cheap...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i would guess they wanted a severe discount...greg's too good to work for cheap...
    He’s a shell of himself. I can’t imagine he would want to play another season.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    He’s a shell of himself. I can’t imagine he would want to play another season.
    He clearly does want to play another season, and intends to.

"A shell of himself" is probably too strong. He's not a top 3-5 tight end anymore, but he's still probably top half of the league pretty easily.

He clearly does want to play another season, and intends to.

"A shell of himself" is probably too strong. He's not a top 3-5 tight end anymore, but he's still probably top half of the league pretty easily.
    When healthy, and that's been a big hurdle for him lately.