Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    First question for Rhule was "what are your plans for Cam Newton?" He did a nice job giving the appropriate non-answer, although the lack of "We're excited to have Cam as our starter next year" and need to evade instead could be somewhat telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    First question for Rhule was "what are your plans for Cam Newton?" He did a nice job giving the appropriate non-answer, although the lack of "We're excited to have Cam as our starter next year" and need to evade instead could be somewhat telling.
    In my Bizarro universe the panthers go after Brady.

There's no good reason to do it so I'm thinking it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    In my Bizarro universe the panthers go after Brady.

There's no good reason to do it so I'm thinking it happens.
    Ew, please no.

Does anyone know where one might catch the introductory press conference for Rhule (either local radio in the Triangle or streaming free online)? Supposedly there is going to be one at 2:00 this afternoon although that fact appears to be barely publicized anywhere.

I need you to explain this one. I feel like there's some kind of bad pun/wordplay happening but it is going straight over my head.
    debacle

bad pun is always a good guess

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow..so this doesn't inspire tons of faith in Tepper from me. Why on Earth would you pay someone so unproven, so much!

Rhule signed a seven-year, $60 million deal with the Panthers that could be worth up to $70 million if he meets incentives. As one NFL coach told Robert Klemko of The Washington Post, other owners around the league are angry with David Tepper for shelling out so much money.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...0na?li=BBnb7Kz

I figured we may have gone after Rhule because he was a bargain get. So much for that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wow..so this doesn't inspire tons of faith in Tepper from me. Why on Earth would you pay someone so unproven, so much!

I figured we may have gone after Rhule because he was a bargain get. So much for that.
    I initially had the same take, but I've had my mind changed. Coaching salary is his money to burn. Doesn't come out of our free agent budget or anything. I have no doubt if it's an obvious disaster Tepper will eat the money and make a change.

I'm surprised we're paying so much, but ultimately I decided that as a fan I don't have to care about how much we pay the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

What if Tepper has made his billions by his gut feeling....which is likely the case....making him one of the richest pro sports owners in the world. Maybe Ruhle is another gut feeling. I mean, I agree that they coulda gotten him for less money....but this was the owner's call.

Only time will tell if offering Rhule big money was a smart decision or a huge risk.

As far as other owners being pissed, this is not news.
    NFL owners money is literally more than anyone can spend in a lifetime and likely generations of lifetimes.
    Let them squabble among themselves.

As had been speculated previously, looks like the Panthers have tabbed Joe Brady to be OC.

As had been speculated previously, looks like the Panthers have tabbed Joe Brady to be OC.
    You beat me to it. Way more excited about this hire than Rhule.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You beat me to it. Way more excited about this hire than Rhule.
    Panthers fans are so fickle! Just last week fans were saying they wanted no part of Brady!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Panthers fans are so fickle! Just last week fans were saying they wanted no part of Brady!
    Lol- which Brady? 😂

I mean, it depends which fans you were asking, there were plenty actively hoping we would get Brady (I wasn't one of them, I was mostly ambivalent because I don't know enough about footbal coaches to properly evaluate who is available and who I would want us to target)...this is the same kind of confirmation bias we see on DBR where people start claiming "the whole board" was taking some position when it was really just some handful of posters. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Anyways.

As far as the higher, Brady is by all accounts a top up and coming offensive mind, so you have to like that (I'm not football-smart enough to evaluate him for myself, I just have to take everyone's word for it). On the other hand, I have some trepidation about the extreme lack of experience at 2 of the three primary coaching positions (virtually no pro experience at all, and pretty minimal experience even at the college level). Will be curious who else we bring on...cautiously optimistic that these guys will come out like gangbusters with a good team and great offensive scheme but I hardly think it is a sure thing at this point. Wait and see mode until we get some game action next year.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Lol- which Brady? 😂
    Yeah, I definitely want no part of that Brady. On the off chance that the poster I quoted was making a Tom Brady joke and it just whooshed over my head, mea culpa.

Elsewhere in the Panthers universe, Luke Kuechly has announced his retirement.

Yeah, I definitely want no part of that Brady. On the off chance that the poster I quoted was making a Tom Brady joke and it just whooshed over my head, mea culpa.
    *Bows*

Wow, can't say I blame him with his concussion history but man what a big-time loss. 28 years old and 8 seasons is apparently enough.

*Bows*
    In that case I offer my deepest apologies

On the other hand, I did get to vent about one of my biggest message board (and sports media) pet peeves, so at least there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Wow, can't say I blame him with his concussion history but man what a big-time loss. 28 years old and 8 seasons is apparently enough.
    How long until Dan Dakich questions *Kuechly's* "commitment"?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Luke walks away from $10.8M next year, and he leaves a monstrous hole in the center of a defense that was already in severe rebuilding mode. I was pretty shocked honestly; I figured the Panthers would keep him at least thru the end of his contract and then maybe let him walk. Tepper's going to have to go after some expensive FA's, b/c there aren't enough players on the roster to field a team at this point. And you can't replace a Luke Kuechley.

Luke didn't say why he was retiring, but the concussion theory is the best explanation I have seen. He's had two big ones that we know about, and likely several more. I wonder if he was starting to see the effects of cognitive decline and decided to step away instead of risking further damage to himself.

Current prospects for the Panthers in 2020 look very dim. They are in full on rebuilding mode now, and are going to need a rock solid draft just to be competitive.
    "There can BE only one."