Page 85 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 3204
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not that many sports routinely maim their star players, but football sure does. The league doesn't care, they have the biggest farm system in all of sports and just plug in new guys when their predecessors get whacked.
    Not to defend the NFL...I rarely do...but that's now how I see it. The league is caught between those fans who want to protect the vulnerable positions, and the sizable group of fans who complain the league is getting soft - every time the league does something to protect QBs (and kickers, receivers, etc) - players who suffer contact while their arm, or leg, is extended and they are open and exposed.

I think it's a combination of things....including but not limited to A: the schizo nature of the fans, and B: the players, and C: the very collision nature of the sport, which is brutal, and D: the increase in size, speed and strength of the players which makes point C more of a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not to defend the NFL...I rarely do...but that's now how I see it. The league is caught between those fans who want to protect the vulnerable positions, and the sizable group of fans who complain the league is getting soft - every time the league does something to protect QBs (and kickers, receivers, etc) - players who suffer contact while their arm, or leg, is extended and they are open and exposed.

I think it's a combination of things...including but not limited to A: the schizo nature of the fans, and B: the players, and C: the very collision nature of the sport, which is brutal, and D: the increase in size, speed and strength of the players which makes point C more of a factor.
    I see your points, but SO much of what the NFL does for "safety" is just absurd window dressing, like "the safest helmets ever." QBs are an exception, of course, but the league really doesn't give much of a crap about most of the other positions, hence the lack of guaranteed contracts. Wait for a guy to go down, plug a new guy in.

I see your points, but SO much of what the NFL does for "safety" is just absurd window dressing, like "the safest helmets ever." QBs are an exception, of course, but the league really doesn't give much of a crap about most of the other positions, hence the lack of guaranteed contracts. Wait for a guy to go down, plug a new guy in.
    Why every player is not required to wear those new funny looking helmets with padding on the outside they testing during training camp is criminal. And it may come down to that.

I remember in the late 60's and early 70's when hockey goalies didn't wear face masks. And when they gained in popularity with the goalies it was still optional for any player whose career started before the rule's start date. Like batting helmets in baseball.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

But who is "the league?" It's not some cabal from some foreign invading all powerful force. In this case, it's a combination of the owners, players association, coaches, NFL medical staff, and the demands of the fans. If the QBs are the only position the league cares about, then that's on the fans/players association as much as any group.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    DJ scores a 21 yard rushing TD in the first.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Now TWO 10+ yard rushing TDs for Jones! (Preceded by an amazing blocking job for Barkley to save a play and third down)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Now TWO 10+ yard rushing TDs for Jones! (Preceded by an amazing blocking job for Barkley to save a play and third down)
    Daniel Jones getting it done with his legs.
    Bob Green

Fumble recovery for the Bears on a punt against the Giants.

"And it's Josh Blackwell, the undrafted rookie from Duke, pulling the ball out of the mess."

I watched the early game from London featuring the Saints and Vikings.

Every single receiver on the field, including the TEs, is/was a far superior pass catcher than anyone DJ has. Even the two RB1s are better out of the backfield than Barkley (who is probably as good or better at actually carrying the ball, but you get my drift). DJ's nominal WR1 wouldn't be top 3-4 on either team. And these are two teams that maybe can make the playoffs but have no real hope to do anything IN those playoffs. They are two decent teams, which describes all but about 5-6 top end teams and 2-3 bottom end teams. The Giants are on the low end of that middle pack of decent teams in the NFL. That two "meh" teams have far superior receiving corps is a JOKE.

QBs have to have receivers.

Again, I think DJ will be on a new team next year. The Giants won't want to extend him for 3+ years, nor will they be thrilled with the franchise tag's cost. But there are several teams that'd be interested in DJ joining their QB room.

Jones with almost 70 yards on 6 carries so far. Right now, he sitting on the bench with a dinged up ankle as Gano kicks a field goal. Hopefully he's able to come back in.

Tyrod in for Daniel. DJ wants in, but "questionable with ankle injury".

And Tyrod quickly throws an INT.

So Jones goes out with an injury, then Taylor runs and kills himself (while fumbling), so Jones has to come back in. But he lines up as a receiver as Barkley takes a couple snaps.

Very bizarre series, but ultimately it all pays off with another FG by the Giants, who are now leading by 8 points.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So Jones goes out with an injury, then Taylor runs and kills himself (while fumbling), so Jones has to come back in. But he lines up as a receiver as Barkley takes a couple snaps.

Very bizarre series, but ultimately it all pays off with another FG by the Giants, who are now leading by 8 points.
    Yeah, bizarre to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    But who is "the league?" It's not some cabal from some foreign invading all powerful force. In this case, it's a combination of the owners, players association, coaches, NFL medical staff, and the demands of the fans. If the QBs are the only position the league cares about, then that's on the fans/players association as much as any group.
    The owners run the league and Goodell...NFL medical staff is just a face saving bunch who do what the owners tell Goodell to do. As for the players, they have always been the worst bargainers in sports...they play the most dangerous game, absorb the most injuries, and have the fewest guaranteed contracts.

Giants 3-1. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Giants 3-1. Not bad.
    Two people scored for the Giants today. Jones and Gano.

The owners run the league and Goodell...NFL medical staff is just a face saving bunch who do what the owners tell Goodell to do. As for the players, they have always been the worst bargainers in sports...they play the most dangerous game, absorb the most injuries, and have the fewest guaranteed contracts.
    And to add to this: the owners don’t give a flip about what the fans think — as long as the fans keep watching and spending.

You can tell what the owners care about. They fought to keep players from kneeling during the national anthem because that directly impacted their bottom line. Too many fans were offended and willing to stop watching the NFL in response.

I could go on, but it’s too depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Why every player is not required to wear those new funny looking helmets with padding on the outside they testing during training camp is criminal. And it may come down to that.

I remember in the late 60's and early 70's when hockey goalies didn't wear face masks. And when they gained in popularity with the goalies it was still optional for any player whose career started before the rule's start date. Like batting helmets in baseball.
    Many would argue that forcing the players not to wear any helmets, or go back to the leather ones, would be the best strategy for reducing head trauma in the NFL. All too often the helmets are the weapon because those wearing them feel they have so much protection.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Can someone explain the contract rules to me? I keep hearing that unless the Giants agree to pay some enormous sum to DJ they’ll have to let him go. Is there not some middle ground available? Can other teams pick him up for less?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Many would argue that forcing the players not to wear any helmets, or go back to the leather ones, would be the best strategy for reducing head trauma in the NFL. All too often the helmets are the weapon because those wearing them feel they have so much protection.
    From your lips ...