Page 66 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 3204
    Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    Jones is playing well, it's the offensive line with some penalties that has held them up.
    It's also the real lack of supporting cast. The Panthers are obviously lacking, but for the tools he had to work with, Jones was really impressive this week. Next few games will be much tougher - hopefully he'll start getting guys back (though Barkley isn't expected back for at least several weeks).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Giants' plan is to take advantage of Daniel's athleticism -- that's part of the package. IMHO (where the H ran away at halftime), getting tackled as a receiver is a lot less dangerous than taking a sack.
    I get it. My concern is that the Giants’ plan will do little more than put lipstick on the pig while sacrificing Daniel Jones’ long term health, whether he is running, receiving or getting demolished in the pocket.

No matter how great an athlete any football player is, there are only so many hits they can take.

But enough of my kvetching. Great catch by Daniel Jones and a nice win for his team. I sure hope his brain will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Daniel Jones has played a great second half. Throwing, running and catching! His catch is the play of the day in the NFL. Certainly a Top Ten play on ESPN.
    it’s #1 top ten on ESPN!

Ladies and gentlemen, the PFF top-ranked receiver for week 7

ODJ
    FCjc8uuX0AoY4m1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    it’s #1 top ten on ESPN!
    Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoRfo9ZW8vM Click forward to 2:27.

Remind me of Daniel's contract status.

His original contract goes through 2022? And the Giants could pick up a 5th year?

Is there speculation about an extension?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

His original contract goes through 2022? And the Giants could pick up a 5th year?

The Giants would have to be on crack not to re-sign him. Do you know how hard it is to find a competent QB? They spent a top of the first round pick on him. If they cut him loose, the entire front office might as well go with him as it would be a huge admission of failure on their part.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Giants would have to be on crack not to re-sign him. Do you know how hard it is to find a competent QB? They spent a top of the first round pick on him. If they cut him loose, the entire front office might as well go with him as it would be a huge admission of failure on their part.
    I think the front office will be gone sooner rather than later, regardless.

He's the favorite Giant among most of the NYC media....counting coaches, players and front office types. Which is important.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think Daniel Jones clearly has the potential to be a top 10 quarterback in this league. I don’t think he’s all that far away from that, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think Daniel Jones clearly has the potential to be a top 10 quarterback in this league. I don’t think he’s all that far away from that, honestly.
    I agree ,but only if the offense spreads out, vertically and horziontally, and he has deep threats, where his big arm and his speed as a runner can really come to the fore.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I agree ,but only if the offense spreads out, vertically and horziontally, and he has deep threats, where his big arm and his speed as a runner can really come to the fore.
    Yes ^, Daniel would be terrific in an offense like say, the Chiefs, Ravens, or Cardinals. Just look at how he's performing with Barkley, all of receivers injured and that offensive line is not very good. He's the best Duke NFL QB since Sonny Jurgensen. I started to say I wish the WFT would get him but I don't want that to happen until the team changes ownership.

GoDuke!

Yeah, the guy on the ultra hot seat is Gettleman...too many unfruitful draft picks. Even though NY is a What Have You Done For Me Lately place, Jones's stock is pretty high right now, his teammates like him...

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yes ^, Daniel would be terrific in an offense like say, the Chiefs, Ravens, or Cardinals. Just look at how he's performing with Barkley, all of receivers injured and that offensive line is not very good. He's the best Duke NFL QB since Sonny Jurgensen. I started to say I wish the WFT would get him but I don't want that to happen until the team changes ownership.

GoDuke!
    For QB success, the NFL is all about circumstance. There are probably 5 QBs that would help any team (Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Lamar Jackson, and a few others); the rest it depends on where they were drafted/signed. If Daniel Jones was the QB for the Cowboys, I am confident that he would have Dak-like stats right now. Conversely, if Dak was on the Giants, he would have Daniel Jones-like stats. In my opinion, Guys like Eli Manning and Ben Rothlisberger have fringe hall of fame careers because the team around them got them there when a guy like Romo was blamed for playoff failures even though he carried many of those teams to the playoffs even though they had no business being there.

I hope that Daniel finds a team that has a solid O-line and a decent receiving core and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    For QB success, the NFL is all about circumstance. There are probably 5 QBs that would help any team (Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Lamar Jackson, and a few others); the rest it depends on where they were drafted/signed. If Daniel Jones was the QB for the Cowboys, I am confident that he would have Dak-like stats right now. Conversely, if Dak was on the Giants, he would have Daniel Jones-like stats. In my opinion, Guys like Eli Manning and Ben Rothlisberger have fringe hall of fame careers because the team around them got them there when a guy like Romo was blamed for playoff failures even though he carried many of those teams to the playoffs even though they had no business being there.

I hope that Daniel finds a team that has a solid O-line and a decent receiving core and defense.
    Romo also had his share of very prominent miscues late in very prominent games. He likely gets more than his fair share of blame, and certainly he did help carry those teams...but he certainly did not always play as well as he could have in all those situations.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    There isn't much that I like about Jameis Winston. (Actually, there is nothing that I like about him.) However, he is a very good example of a QB going from the team that drafted him to a new situation and finding a much better match. Obviously the Bucs are not an awful team, but he sure was awful in Tampa Bay. He moves to New Orleans, and is now leading a team that is 4-2 and is playing much more like the QB that people would have expected in his first seasons.

Hopefully things work out for Jones in New York, I would love to see him succeed there, but if not, hopefully he finds a team that is better suited to him. (I think NY can be that team, but they are cursed with injuries so it's so hard to know for sure.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

His 5th year option has to be be exercised this coming off-season, I think the deadline is shortly after the draft. I can't imagine there will be any discussions about an extension until after the 2022 season at the earliest.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    Sonny spun a ball like no one else ever. I think at Duke he only averaged 9 passes a game. What a waste. But I was a Skins fan because of Sonny and his Duke ties. There are many NFL experts who view him as the best pure passing talent ever. His spiral was just, well, different. What a talent, and who knew Single Malt belongs on an NFL training regimen...

Interesting theory you have about circumstance, and I think very valid. It would be cool to see DJ with Andy Reid for example. Also reminds me of Dave Brown, who I fully think had a big time NFL arm and could have been a big success...but he was destroyed by Dan Reeve's way outdated way of thinking about offense.

You lost me at Ben being a fringe Hall of Famer. I hate the Steelers but have to admit, Ben is a easy lock for the HOF.

Sonny

Was his classmate. A good friend of mine, from his area, described Sonny’ s high school career - tereffic. Watched him at practice, where he would throw the returns backing to the punter practicers with hardly any leg action. Awesome