Page 62 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 3204
    Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Using the phrase “virtue signaling” is pretty much an automatic indicator of bad faith. I can’t imagine a good reason to use that phrase - it’s insulting and adds nothing. It’s a grown up version of elementary school trash talk. It’s also an admission that you’ve got nothing in response and you’re now just resorting to what is essentially name calling.
    Is this virtue signaling about virtue signaling?

I saw a pot and I stirred it.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    So you seem comfortable with watching participants put themselves in harm's way, jeopardizing their future health and well-being, all for your enjoyment (and obviously for the financial rewards that come their way). I myself am not the least bit comfortable with that ... although I do continue to watch certain team's games (Duke and my wife's Vols). However, I cannot help but feel rather dirty as I watch them.
    Obviously I’m okay with watching football or I wouldn’t continue doing it.

It’s fairly self-explanatory I’d say.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

I don’t even know what virtue signaling is. I guess you guys are smarter than me. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It was a burly hit. It wasn't dirty from my perspective - DJ definitely put himself in harm's way and did whatever the opposite of slide was in order to try and get the extra yardage.

The wobble as he walked off wasn't as grotesque as some limb injuries I've seen in football, but it sure didn't look good.
    The DJ stagger was aesthetically alarming, and the size of the goose egg on Saquon’s ankle after he rolled it along with the speed in which it swole up like a balloon was crazy!

I doubt either play next week vs the Rams. It looks like the NYG may be headed to 1-5 and a long season. It may actually be a few weeks before DJ returns. Concussions are scary and QBs that have had them (among other positions) have really suffered. I believe Troy Aikman’s career ended on a concussion delivered by Redskin linebacker Lavar Arrington. Terry Bradshaw has really suffered from their lingering effects during his lifetime, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I don’t even know what virtue signaling is. I guess you guys are smarter than me. 😞
    I had not seen the term before either. Had to look it up.

But from reading many threads on this board I surmised that you don't have to know anything about a topic to weigh in on it.

So I did.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The DJ stagger was aesthetically alarming, and the size of the goose egg on Saquon’s ankle after he rolled it along with the speed in which it swole up like a balloon was crazy!

I doubt either play next week vs the Rams. It looks like the NYG may be headed to 1-5 and a long season. It may actually be a few weeks before DJ returns. Concussions are scary and QBs that have had them (among other positions) have really suffered. I believe Troy Aikman’s career ended on a concussion delivered by Redskin linebacker Lavar Arrington. Terry Bradshaw has really suffered from their lingering effects during his lifetime, too.
    I root for DJ and thusly the Giants. These injuries might spare the coaching staff a few more weeks. Not sure if that's a plus or minus for Jones.

I posted this a week or so ago and will refresh - the Giants upcoming schedule is home vs. Rams and Panthers, at KC, home vs. Raiders, bye, then at Tampa. Several of these teams do not appear as formidable as they did a week or two ago, but I still think the Giants will be lucky to get more than one win in this stretch, fully healthy or not.

I'm not clear on how quickly the injured players might come back but it could get really ugly and I'm not sure how morale will be and whether the lack of success will be blamed on the schedule, injuries, lack of talent, execution, or something else.

I initially was upset that a flag was not thrown on DJ's injury but looking at it more carefully I agree that it was a relatively clean play as both players engaged with their helmets. I hope he is OK and that he takes his time returning. I'm a lifelong Giants fan but I'm more concerned with his health than the team's success (which will likely be the same during these games with or without him).

Nah, Terry was always like that.

(said as a Steelers fan since the late '60s)

I had not seen the term before either. Had to look it up.

But from reading many threads on this board I surmised that you don't have to know anything about a topic to weigh in on it.

So I did.
    Reverse virtual-signaling?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Reverse virtual-signaling?
    reverse signaling?

would that be virtue-sensing?
    April 1

Is that like bring holier than thou?

The mere use of the phrase “virtue signaling” is itself virtue signaling — just of a different perceived virtue. That in and of itself should be sufficient for an effective writer to eschew the phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The mere use of the phrase “virtue signaling” is itself virtue signaling — just of a different perceived virtue. That in and of itself should be sufficient for an effective writer to eschew the phrase.
    Fair point. I will say, I have no doubt that the intent behind the phrase "virtue signaling" is a real thing, nor do I doubt that yelling "virtue signaling" is among the worst responses to someone, even if it were occurring.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Fair point. I will say, I have no doubt that the intent behind the phrase "virtue signaling" is a real thing, nor do I doubt that yelling "virtue signaling" is among the worst responses to someone, even if it were occurring.
    Eliminating virtue signaling would create a virtuous circle of DBR being a kinder, happier place for all. Or something like that.

So how's Daniel Jones doing with his concussion?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Eliminating virtue signaling would create a virtuous circle of DBR being a kinder, happier place for all. Or something like that.

So how's Daniel Jones doing with his concussion?
    hopefully his brain is still neuro-signalling
    April 1

Eliminating virtue signaling would create a virtuous circle of DBR being a kinder, happier place.
    We uncouth, mouth-breathing Philistines are still trying to figure out what virtue signaling means.

Perhaps I had one too many concussions playing football in high school.

We watched the Giants' games to watch Daniel. After he got hurt, we did little more than check in occasionally to see how bad the Giants were losing and didn't really care.

I thought the hit on him was legal, although in college targeting would have been called.

Unfortunately, the head is at the top of our bodies and our eyes are in the front of our head and we go where are looking, and hence lead with the head, even if a tackler is not aiming at the ball carrier's head, if the target moves, heads/helmets are probably going to contact one another. Unless a defender appears to have intentionally speared a ball carrier with his head, I don't think targeting is warranted. I'd say ~75% of targeting calls are unwarranted. That's just one old running backs opinion.

Again, I hope Daniel recovers completely and doesn't become more likely to get repeat concussions. Clint Frazier, Yankee outfielder, crashed into an outfield wall going back on a fly ball, and the back of his head hit the wall. That was in spring training of 2019(?). He missed all of 2019 and most of 2020 with dizziness and again this year, after being handed the starting left field position, went out with unspecified but related conditions in May.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    We uncouth, mouth-breathing Philistines are still trying to figure out what virtue signaling means.

Perhaps I had one too many concussions playing football in high school.
    As someone who is primarily a mouth-breather for various reasons I won't go into, I would also like to retire that phrase, though I don't get too worked up when people use it as I know it isn't malicious.

As far as what is virture signaling, GIYF.

So how about Daniel Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Hey HereBeforeCoachK — why did you flame me for this comment instead of discussing in the open forum? Perhaps I’m old school, but I think rational public discourse is a preferred avenue.
    Carolina delenda est

So how about Daniel Jones?
    I have no idea how Daniel Jones is doing, do you? I’m a bit surprised that there have not been any updates on his status. Strange.