Page 34 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Is that (hookers) a put-down to Louisville and the Patriots or a compliment? Just looking for clarification.
    Pretty sure it’s a put-down. At least down here in the South that’s how we’d take it.

As a life-long Jets fan, my allegiances are conflicted today. I'm leaning towards pulling for Jones, because those bums in green haven't done anything for me in decades. As this game takes place only once every 4 years, I can forgive myself...

Midway through the third quarter and Daniel Jones just threw his fourth touchdown pass of the game. The Giants are leading the Jets and it is really completely because of Jones, the rushing attack is utterly impotent today. On the bad side, his penchant for fumbling continues. Daniel has fumbled three times and lost one of them. But, it would appear that fumbling is pretty much the only even mild criticism you could have of him at this point.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    As a life-long Jets fan, my allegiances are conflicted today. I'm leaning towards pulling for Jones, because those bums in green haven't done anything for me in decades. As this game takes place only once every 4 years, I can forgive myself...
    My conundrum exactly. Jets fan and season ticket holder from the Titans/Polo Grounds/Shea days. But have to root for DJ.

And hopefully a loss rids us of Gaze.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    My conundrum exactly. Jets fan and season ticket holder from the Titans/Polo Grounds/Shea days. But have to root for DJ.

And hopefully a loss rids us of Gaze.
    For Giants and Jets fans, that game reminded me of the tag line for Alien v Predator - whoever wins, we lose.

As for Jones, he played pretty well yesterday, but man, the fumbles.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Midway through the third quarter and Daniel Jones just threw his fourth touchdown pass of the game. The Giants are leading the Jets and it is really completely because of Jones, the rushing attack is utterly impotent today. On the bad side, his penchant for fumbling continues. Daniel has fumbled three times and lost one of them. But, it would appear that fumbling is pretty much the only even mild criticism you could have of him at this point.
    As a New Yorker and a Giants fan, I would point out I don't think it's a mild criticism. 11 fumbles through 8 starts is very, very bad. Now, there are a lot of positives as well. But this post serves to point out the fumbling is a very significant criticism.

There are some potential mitigating contributors, namely: (1) mediocre (at best) WR core makes the ball stick, (2) RBs that are not pass blocking well, and (3) an O-Line that looks atrocious at times. But in the end, 11 fumbles is way, way too many. Hopefully, it's fixable especially during his first offseason.

As an aside, the O-Line and WR factors mentioned above are great examples of why I (and many) hoped that Eli would get at least half a season in his Farewell Tour. Jones is getting crushed back there and I'm not sure "on-the-job" training is really the best way to go about this. The Fire Shurmur rumblings are growing in NY.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    As a New Yorker and a Giants fan, I would point out I don't think it's a mild criticism. 11 fumbles through 8 starts is very, very bad. Now, there are a lot of positives as well. But this post serves to point out the fumbling is a very significant criticism.

There are some potential mitigating contributors, namely: (1) mediocre (at best) WR core makes the ball stick, (2) RBs that are not pass blocking well, and (3) an O-Line that looks atrocious at times. But in the end, 11 fumbles is way, way too many. Hopefully, it's fixable especially during his first offseason.

As an aside, the O-Line and WR factors mentioned above are great examples of why I (and many) hoped that Eli would get at least half a season in his Farewell Tour. Jones is getting crushed back there and I'm not sure "on-the-job" training is really the best way to go about this. The Fire Shurmur rumblings are growing in NY.

- Chillin
    Agree with this. On both fumbles, Adams manhandled Barkley. (Who is clearly not fully recovered from his high ankle sprain)

He'll learn. Tiki did.

Duke vs. UNC Today

Daniel Jones and the Giants travel to Chicago to play the Bears, whose QB is Tar Heel Mitch Trubisky.

Go Daniel! Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Not gonna be pretty for Daniel this week in NY in the media...he just fumbled AGAIN setting up a very short Bears TD.

Trubisky is kicking DJ's I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Trubisky is kicking DJ's I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..
    You jinxed it -- good -- Trubisky just threw an awful interception.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You jinxed it -- good -- Trubisky just threw an awful interception.
    While not a "Hail Mary," Jones' TD pass to Golden Tate on 4th-and-18 was more like an entire Rosary.
    Sage Grouse

Our boy is having another tough game. Three interceptions on the day so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Our boy is having another tough game. Three interceptions on the day so far.
    Yep, not good, although he made some beautful, beautiful completions under pressure. One interception was a bad overthrow to an open receiver; one was a bad read where there was a safety lurking, and another was a 50-50 ball where the defender made a good play. The Giants had a few inexcusable drops, as well.
    Sage Grouse

Jones is in a walking boot with a high ankle sprain, and likely to miss this week's game.

https://twitter.com/Giants/status/1202257073267982336

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Jones is in a walking boot with a high ankle sprain, and likely to miss this week's game.

https://twitter.com/Giants/status/1202257073267982336
    A bit more detail:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eli Manning's career with the New York Giants isn't going to end with him sitting on the bench for the final 14 games of the season.

The two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback is "very likely" to start Monday night against the Philadelphia Eagles with rookie Daniel Jones dealing with a "moderate high ankle sprain," coach Pat Shurmur said Wednesday.

Jones, who played through the injury during Sunday's loss to the Green Bay Packers, was in a boot and didn't practice Wednesday.

Shurmur compared Jones' injury to the high ankle sprain that sidelined Saquon Barkley for three games over four weeks. While the coach said Jones' injury was slightly less severe, it could put the remainder of Jones' rookie season in jeopardy.
    Sage Grouse

As a somewhat long time NY sports fan (including the Giants), here is my prediction: Eli beats the Eagles on Monday night because the Eagles are playing horribly. Eli beats the Dolphins and the Redskins because they both are terrible. NY sports media gets into a huge frenzy about Eli taking his job back, would the Giants have been better this year with Eli rather than Jones, should they bring back Eli next year, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    As a somewhat long time NY sports fan (including the Giants), here is my prediction: Eli beats the Eagles on Monday night because the Eagles are playing horribly. Eli beats the Dolphins and the Redskins because they both are terrible. NY sports media gets into a huge frenzy about Eli taking his job back, would the Giants have been better this year with Eli rather than Jones, should they bring back Eli next year, etc.
    That seems sadly likely.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    That seems sadly likely.
    I don't think you guys realize how bad the Giants are.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This would be absolutely delicious. I actually generally root for the Giants, I like the Mara family, they are close with the Steeler's Rooney family and have been good for the NFL.

But to watch the NY sports media whip the fickle NYC sports "fans" into a frenzy would be "must see TV."

Eli has got to delighted by the prospect of being relevant again. Usually at this stage of the season, he (and all starting QBs) is so beaten and bruised he has trouble getting out of bed. Now he's rested and ready!