Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Should we change the thread title to "Baker Mayfield deserves his own thread" at this point?

I'm also thinking that once you take Jones out of the Dukies in the NFL thread, there isn't a whole lot left, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am surprised the Browns are keeping them as their starting quarterback. He only has a 7-7 record as a pro- looks pretty mediocre- I mean you need to win and he wins as much as he loses- so...
    I was thinking the exact same thing after reading Mayfield’s arrogant and ignorant comments about Daniel Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Baker Mayfield is a hothead who runs his mouth a lot, but I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy. With all due respect to DJ, what on Earth would he be jealous of DJ for?
    Mayfield very could be jealous of Daniel Jones based on the fact that he (Jones) is part of a much better overall organization with a dramatically better history over the past few decades in a waaaaaay better city in which to live.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ones-clear-air

Sums up my take on this whole deal:

Mayfield has a history of being open and honest about his opinion on other coaches and players. Last year, he called ex-Browns head coach Hue Jackson "fake," and he said this summer that he didn't like Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger.
    "If I had a problem with someone, I'm pretty sure I've made it very clear I will say I have a problem with someone," Mayfield said.

"That's why I felt like reaching out to Daniel. That's the type of thing that frustrates me because it was taken out of context."
    If Mayfield wanted to diss Jones he wouldn't have backed away from it.

The way the GQ article gives the quotes, it is clear there was at least some discussion between the comment about DJ and the comment about "you have to win" (GQ makes no indication as to how much conversation happened in between them, which raises flags for me that they were just trying to stir things up) and entirely plausible that the second comment wasn't actually in reference to DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Mayfield very could be jealous of Daniel Jones based on the fact that he (Jones) is part of a much better overall organization with a dramatically better history over the past few decades in a waaaaaay better city in which to live.
    I assume you have lived in Cleveland in order to make that declaration?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    You know what they say about those who assume.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Philly ...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    We're gonna have to disagree on this. It was Mayfield who made winning percentage for QBs the ultimate rating...without respects to how talented your team is...and without the self awareness that he himself has a losing record due to the people around him. He missed that irony, on the issue of irony, and lack of self awareness, the comparison to college and pros is not relevant. The only thing that is relevant is the fact that a QB's winning percentage has almost everything to do with the talent around him. Mayfield applied one standard to DJ and was seemingly unaware the same can be applied to him. Thus the irony.
    First off...
    Strawman much?

Secondly...
    He didn't have a losing record at OU, they were like 34 and 6 or close enough.

Thridly...
    I realize that probably wasn't what you were saying but what you implied was beyond absurd.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Should we change the thread title to "Baker Mayfield deserves his own thread" at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm also thinking that once you take Jones out of the Dukies in the NFL thread, there isn't a whole lot left, is there?
    If we start a thread about Baker Mayfield, would folks discuss Daniel Jones there?

Your reasoning is not at all what Baker's is though...Baker was simply basing this on the fact DJ's W/L record at Duke wasn't great - while his at OUs was. The lack of self awareness, and tone deafness to irony, from Baker, was the main point. Baker's WL record in Cleveland is about what DJ's was, percentage wise, at Duke. Your comment may prove valid in the fullness of time. Baker's reasoning was, and will forever be, flawed.
    No, it seems you're the one with the flawed reasoning here. Baker was talking about how much winning should be factored into being drafted at certain points. Therefore anything after being drafted is irrelevant for obvious reasons.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post

Secondly...
    He didn't have a losing record at OU, they were like 34 and 6 or close enough.
    Uh dude, talking about his record at Cleveland - a somewhat similar situation to Jones at Duke - trying to raise a struggling program. That analogy lost on him, and apparently present company as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If we start a thread about Baker Mayfield, would folks discuss Daniel Jones there?
    Yes.

Uh dude, talking about his record at Cleveland - a somewhat similar situation to Jones at Duke - trying to raise a struggling program. That analogy lost on him, and apparently present company as well.
    Because it's not an appropriate analogy. The comparison was on how much winning should be prioritized when evaluating a qb for the draft. You keep wanting to sstrawman that position. Your failure to recognize that isn't the fault of Baker, myself,or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Because it's not an appropriate analogy. The comparison was on how much winning should be prioritized when evaluating a qb for the draft. You keep wanting to sstrawman that position. Your failure to recognize that isn't the fault of Baker, myself,or anyone else.
    I understand your point, and technically you are correct. However, I think HBCK’s point is valid as well. Mayfield shouldn’t be talking about winning as if that defines him when his Cleveland Browns team finished the season under .500 and the teams they beat were mostly mediocre at best.

Sure, his teams at Oklahoma won a lot of games, but the Sooners are loaded with talent every year on both sides of the ball. They could put any pretty good QB behind center and win virtually 90% of their games every season.

I understand your point, and technically you are correct. However, I think HBCK’s point is valid as well. Mayfield shouldn’t be talking about winning, as if that defines him, when his Cleveland Browns team finished the season under .500 and the teams they beat were mostly mediocre at best.
    Of course, it isn't even clear that Mayfield was even talking about Jones when he made the comment about winning, so maybe we can just let this go.

Besides, just about everyone was surprised the Giants took Jones at #6. Most people were expecting him to go in the 15-20 range in the lead up to the draft. Some of the people here who are ripping Mayfield were on record on this very same board as being surprised he was even projected to go that high in the pre-draft discussion.

Nooe

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It would quickly become a basketball playing time discussion.

So that’s a no?

There is always a lot of Cleveland bashing that goes around and 99.9% of these people have never even lived close to the city. I have lived in a few cities in my life and Cleveland is an easy #1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It would quickly become a basketball playing time discussion.
    Ha-rumph!!

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

If you haven’t lived there, aren’t you making assumptions about what it is like to do so?

Oh, and Baker Mayfield Baker Mayfield Baker Mayfield in order to stay on topic.