Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 667
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Should we change the thread title to "Baker Mayfield deserves his own thread" at this point?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I'm also thinking that once you take Jones out of the Dukies in the NFL thread, there isn't a whole lot left, is there?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am surprised the Browns are keeping them as their starting quarterback. He only has a 7-7 record as a pro- looks pretty mediocre- I mean you need to win and he wins as much as he loses- so...
    I was thinking the exact same thing after reading Mayfield’s arrogant and ignorant comments about Daniel Jones.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Baker Mayfield is a hothead who runs his mouth a lot, but I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy. With all due respect to DJ, what on Earth would he be jealous of DJ for?
    Mayfield very could be jealous of Daniel Jones based on the fact that he (Jones) is part of a much better overall organization with a dramatically better history over the past few decades in a waaaaaay better city in which to live.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ones-clear-air

    Sums up my take on this whole deal:

    Mayfield has a history of being open and honest about his opinion on other coaches and players. Last year, he called ex-Browns head coach Hue Jackson "fake," and he said this summer that he didn't like Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger.
    "If I had a problem with someone, I'm pretty sure I've made it very clear I will say I have a problem with someone," Mayfield said.


    "That's why I felt like reaching out to Daniel. That's the type of thing that frustrates me because it was taken out of context."
    If Mayfield wanted to diss Jones he wouldn't have backed away from it.

    The way the GQ article gives the quotes, it is clear there was at least some discussion between the comment about DJ and the comment about "you have to win" (GQ makes no indication as to how much conversation happened in between them, which raises flags for me that they were just trying to stir things up) and entirely plausible that the second comment wasn't actually in reference to DJ.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Mayfield very could be jealous of Daniel Jones based on the fact that he (Jones) is part of a much better overall organization with a dramatically better history over the past few decades in a waaaaaay better city in which to live.
    I assume you have lived in Cleveland in order to make that declaration?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I assume you have lived in Cleveland in order to make that declaration?
    You know what they say about those who assume.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I assume you have lived in Cleveland in order to make that declaration?
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Philly ...

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    We're gonna have to disagree on this. It was Mayfield who made winning percentage for QBs the ultimate rating...without respects to how talented your team is...and without the self awareness that he himself has a losing record due to the people around him. He missed that irony, on the issue of irony, and lack of self awareness, the comparison to college and pros is not relevant. The only thing that is relevant is the fact that a QB's winning percentage has almost everything to do with the talent around him. Mayfield applied one standard to DJ and was seemingly unaware the same can be applied to him. Thus the irony.
    First off...
    Strawman much?

    Secondly...
    He didn't have a losing record at OU, they were like 34 and 6 or close enough.

    Thridly...
    I realize that probably wasn't what you were saying but what you implied was beyond absurd.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Should we change the thread title to "Baker Mayfield deserves his own thread" at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm also thinking that once you take Jones out of the Dukies in the NFL thread, there isn't a whole lot left, is there?
    If we start a thread about Baker Mayfield, would folks discuss Daniel Jones there?
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Your reasoning is not at all what Baker's is though...Baker was simply basing this on the fact DJ's W/L record at Duke wasn't great - while his at OUs was. The lack of self awareness, and tone deafness to irony, from Baker, was the main point. Baker's WL record in Cleveland is about what DJ's was, percentage wise, at Duke. Your comment may prove valid in the fullness of time. Baker's reasoning was, and will forever be, flawed.
    No, it seems you're the one with the flawed reasoning here. Baker was talking about how much winning should be factored into being drafted at certain points. Therefore anything after being drafted is irrelevant for obvious reasons.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post

    Secondly...
    He didn't have a losing record at OU, they were like 34 and 6 or close enough.
    .
    Uh dude, talking about his record at Cleveland - a somewhat similar situation to Jones at Duke - trying to raise a struggling program. That analogy lost on him, and apparently present company as well.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If we start a thread about Baker Mayfield, would folks discuss Daniel Jones there?
    Yes.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Uh dude, talking about his record at Cleveland - a somewhat similar situation to Jones at Duke - trying to raise a struggling program. That analogy lost on him, and apparently present company as well.
    Because it's not an appropriate analogy. The comparison was on how much winning should be prioritized when evaluating a qb for the draft. You keep wanting to sstrawman that position. Your failure to recognize that isn't the fault of Baker, myself,or anyone else.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Because it's not an appropriate analogy. The comparison was on how much winning should be prioritized when evaluating a qb for the draft. You keep wanting to sstrawman that position. Your failure to recognize that isn't the fault of Baker, myself,or anyone else.
    I understand your point, and technically you are correct. However, I think HBCK’s point is valid as well. Mayfield shouldn’t be talking about winning as if that defines him when his Cleveland Browns team finished the season under .500 and the teams they beat were mostly mediocre at best.

    Sure, his teams at Oklahoma won a lot of games, but the Sooners are loaded with talent every year on both sides of the ball. They could put any pretty good QB behind center and win virtually 90% of their games every season.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I understand your point, and technically you are correct. However, I think HBCK’s point is valid as well. Mayfield shouldn’t be talking about winning, as if that defines him, when his Cleveland Browns team finished the season under .500 and the teams they beat were mostly mediocre at best.
    Of course, it isn't even clear that Mayfield was even talking about Jones when he made the comment about winning, so maybe we can just let this go.

    Besides, just about everyone was surprised the Giants took Jones at #6. Most people were expecting him to go in the 15-20 range in the lead up to the draft. Some of the people here who are ripping Mayfield were on record on this very same board as being surprised he was even projected to go that high in the pre-draft discussion.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Nooe

    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If we start a thread about Baker Mayfield, would folks discuss Daniel Jones there?
    It would quickly become a basketball playing time discussion.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You know what they say about those who assume.
    So that’s a no?

    There is always a lot of Cleveland bashing that goes around and 99.9% of these people have never even lived close to the city. I have lived in a few cities in my life and Cleveland is an easy #1 for me.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It would quickly become a basketball playing time discussion.
    Ha-rumph!!


    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You know what they say about those who assume.
    If you haven’t lived there, aren’t you making assumptions about what it is like to do so?

    Oh, and Baker Mayfield Baker Mayfield Baker Mayfield in order to stay on topic.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

Similar Threads

  1. The “Daniel Jones deserves his own injury vigil” vigil
    By scottdude8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 09-21-2018, 01:42 PM
  2. Replies: 125
    Last Post: 08-20-2018, 01:50 PM
  3. Official "Would an All Kentucky NBA team beat Golden State" thread
    By FerryFor50 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 03:07 PM
  4. Replies: 109
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •