Page 2 of 161 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Mayfield clarifies

Baker added this to Instagram...

Later on Tuesday, Mayfield clarified his comments in a post to his Instagram Story, writing: "This is not what I said ... just so we're clear. I also said I was surprised I got drafted number one. Then was talking about the flaws in evaluating QB's. Where I brought up winning being important. Reporters and media will do anything to come up with a click bait story. Heard nothing but good things and wish nothing but the best for Daniel."

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Baker added this to Instagram...

Later on Tuesday, Mayfield clarified his comments in a post to his Instagram Story, writing: "This is not what I said ... just so we're clear. I also said I was surprised I got drafted number one. Then was talking about the flaws in evaluating QB's. Where I brought up winning being important. Reporters and media will do anything to come up with a click bait story. Heard nothing but good things and wish nothing but the best for Daniel."
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Daniel Jones on Baker Mayfield: "I think he's a great player. He can throw it and I enjoy watching him play."

Pretty good scrambling by Baker. Me, I prefer the QB who stands tall in the pocket and makes quick accurate reads, rather than the one who gets happy feet and unexpectedly reverses field.

I don't blame Baker for what he said. I mean I agree with him. Maybe DJ will prove me wrong but before the draft I said I wouldn't even want him as a backup for a team.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I don't blame Baker for what he said. I mean I agree with him. Maybe DJ will prove me wrong but before the draft I said I wouldn't even want him as a backup for a team.
    Your reasoning is not at all what Baker's is though...Baker was simply basing this on the fact DJ's W/L record at Duke wasn't great - while his at OUs was. The lack of self awareness, and tone deafness to irony, from Baker, was the main point. Baker's WL record in Cleveland is about what DJ's was, percentage wise, at Duke. Your comment may prove valid in the fullness of time. Baker's reasoning was, and will forever be, flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Your reasoning is not at all what Baker's is though...Baker was simply basing this on the fact DJ's W/L record at Duke wasn't great - while his at OUs was. The lack of self awareness, and tone deafness to irony, from Baker, was the main point. Baker's WL record in Cleveland is about what DJ's was, percentage wise, at Duke. Your comment may prove valid in the fullness of time. Baker's reasoning was, and will forever be, flawed.
    Baker said he was taken out of context or misquoted. I’m happy to give him the benefit of the doubt absent video to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Baker said he was taken out of context or misquoted. I’m happy to give him the benefit of the doubt absent video to the contrary.
    Well a couple of thoughts on that: First, I was taking the initial comments and the reasoning he gave. I doubt, with that kind of reasoning, that he really didn't say it. That said, comparing WL records at Duke versus OU in FB is not a valid comparison for QBs. Second, the first set of comments are far more in line with his personality. Did you hear what he said post facto about his "Ohio State apology?" The reasonable comments from Baker would be the outlier to his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Three weeks from now this thread should grow stagnant.

I say it picks up again after the Giants 5th game:

They start AT Dallas, even without Zeke, a likely loss. DeMarcus Lawrence has returned for the Boys and may play week one; he loves hitting Eli, and may single-handedly usher in the DJ era.

The Gents then host Buffalo, a loss here would start the DJ chants, Buffalo could be pretty good this year.

Week 3 in Tampa, a third straight loss by Eli would make DJ the most popular QB in Giants history. The Giants are likely 2-1 or 1-2, no real need to change.

Weeks 4 and 5 are home games against the Skins and the Vikings. This should tell us where the Giants stand. Both teams are borderline playoff teams, but have to be considered 2 of the "easier" games on the schedule. And the fun starts …

The Patriots are next up. No sane coach would give a rookie his first start against Bill Belichek. But by now, Eli is likely "dead man walking." This will be Eli's "chance" to keep his starting job. But if the Giants start 2-4, do you continue with Eli? Chatter will be loud.

Now the critical stretch, Week 7 home against the Cardinals and Week 8 in Detroit. I think Giants management sticks with Eli long enough to get him to the soft spot in the schedule. These would be great games to start a rookie, but the team is soft for Eli and gives him a chance to turn the season around. Losses here would make the DJ clamor unbearable.

Two tough games leading into the bye week. At home against the hated Cowboys and across town against the Jets, Jets, Jets. Not a great situation to start a rookie QB. I do suspect that it will be revealed after game 10 that Eli has been battling an injury and they "hope" to have him back after the bye week.

DJ should be taking the helm of the 3-7 Giants against a pretty tough slate of opponents: @ Chicago, Packers, @ Philly, Dolphins, @ Washington, Eagles.

Will the bye week be good bye to Eli?
    As a Giants fan and a Daniel Jones fan, I really hope that he does not get off the bench the whole season. Hopefully Eli will stay healthy and be reasonably successful so DJ can sit and learn.

The Giants have done some upgrading to their line so that should be helpful. The question mark is the receivers - with Beckham gone the group is meh at best.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm trying to stay level headed about Daniel. The post draft criticism of him was over the top, now some of the adulation is similarly extreme...
    It's been fun to watch some of the 180-degree turns some members of the media and sports Twitterverse have taken over the past few weeks.

I think there's a lot of weight to the argument that Jones could have been available at #17, and that taking him at #6 was a stretch, but if you think you have your guy you have to take him and that's what the Giants did.

Put me also in the camp that's trying to stay level-headed. I don't know how Jones will turn out in the NFL, but I do think with his play in the preseason he's at least earned the right to not be written off so easily. He's proven that he's deserving of the opportunity he's been given. Now he just has to make it count.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Instead of burying discussion about the future of Duke football in the NFL, let's highlight him with his own thread! He deserves it.

I'll start it off by with "dog bites man" style news: Baker Mayfield said some silly words. Sure, you can be surprised Jones got picked so early, but not calling him a "winner"? That's just false. Going to a bowl 2 of 3 years at Duke given the supporting cast he had relative to his direct competition, let alone the skill guys Baker had at Oklahoma, sure sounds like a "winner" to me. You can't compare apples and oranges. If Baker wanted to talk about a guy who wasn't a "winner" in college, consider that No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff was a combined 6-18 in his first two years, and just squeaked out bowl eligibility in his last year at 7-5, at a school that has had success historically at football (Cal).

Despite the success we've had over the past 6-7 years on the football field Duke can't quite shake the specter of it's horrible past, and that continues to color people's opinion not only of the program, but of Jones. It's frustrating, but hopefully that puts an extra chip on our (and Daniel's!) shoulder. I can't wait for Jones to prove them all wrong.
    I simply cannot wait to see Daniel Jones have a better pro career than Baker Mayfield. I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys fan my whole life and always will be, but I am pulling hard for Jones to have a great career.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    It's been fun to watch some of the 180-degree turns some members of the media and sports Twitterverse have taken over the past few weeks.

I think there's a lot of weight to the argument that Jones could have been available at #17, and that taking him at #6 was a stretch, but if you think you have your guy you have to take him and that's what the Giants did.

Put me also in the camp that's trying to stay level-headed. I don't know how Jones will turn out in the NFL, but I do think with his play in the preseason he's at least earned the right to not be written off so easily. He's proven that he's deserving of the opportunity he's been given. Now he just has to make it count.
    yup, first the press utterly vilifies Jones as the sixth pick, now he makes some nice throws (which is indeed encouraging) and he's Danny Dimes? Such is life in NY...if he gets in an early game and throws a pick six they'll feed on his carcass like jackals...as a previous poster stated, let him sit and learn (at least initially)...wouldn't mind seeing him later in the season...

Well a couple of thoughts on that: First, I was taking the initial comments and the reasoning he gave. I doubt, with that kind of reasoning, that he really didn't say it. That said, comparing WL records at Duke versus OU in FB is not a valid comparison for QBs. Second, the first set of comments are far more in line with his personality. Did you hear what he said post facto about his "Ohio State apology?" The reasonable comments from Baker would be the outlier to his personality.
    Without context, how can you fathom his reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    This is a guy that shotguns beer (by BITING the can) for the amusement of a stadium full of people and the people of Cleveland.

With that context, how can you presume there is any reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I reject the notion that there is no context. There is plenty of context, not only in this interview, but in Baker's last few years of comments. He is who he is.

This is a guy that shotguns beer (by BITING the can) for the amusement of a stadium full of people and the people of Cleveland.

I mean, it isn't exactly a sophisticated look, but where exactly is the problem?

The reason I think what Baker said really might have been taken out of context by GQ is that a) the two quotes they pieced together for that clearly had additional dialog in between that GQ omitted and b) if Baker meant that he would not have apologized (based on his past history of doubling down and refusing to apologize).

I think I would rather we just let this one go, but if we're not going to maybe we can at least shy away from poking at the Browns or Mayfields record (how many NFL wins do Duke QBs have in the last 20 years? And it isn't like Jone's college career was really any better than that, anyway) or the extremely lame stereotypical Duke holier than thou "look how those plebes are doing normal working class things like beer!"

Baker Mayfield tends to be a jerk. I'm not generally a fan (I actually liked the flag planting in college but was not a fan of a bunch of other antics and his constant mouth running). But this is much ado about nothing, and a lot of folks here are writing checks that Duke can't cash in college or​ the pros.

Whoa, let's not malign shotgunning beers here. Baker's words stand on there own and we can leave shotgunning beers in my fond, fuzzy college memories where it belongs!

Wait. There is nothing wrong with shotgunning beers in public. And biting the can is even more insane.

We can criticize Mayfield for his on-field antics, performance, and interviews, but not his drinking ability.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Wait. There is nothing wrong with shotgunning beers in public. And biting the can is even more insane.

We can criticize Mayfield for his on-field antics, performance, and interviews, but not his drinking ability.
    Yeah, color me impressed. I may have to start liking this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think I would rather we just let this one go, but if we're not going to maybe we can at least shy away from poking at the Browns or Mayfields record (how many NFL wins do Duke QBs have in the last 20 years? And it isn't like Jone's college career was really any better than that, anyway).
    I think you're missing the gist of some commenters. The subject of QB winning percentage was brought up by Mayfield, not Jones, or DBR. It was Mayfield who was tone deaf about QB winning percentages given than his NFL percentage is about what Jones' college percentage is. It is this missing of the irony, the tone deafness, the lack of self awareness of Mayfield that is the point. The stuff about Duke NFL QBs in the last 20 years is simply not relevant to the topic here. I assume everyone here can understand the irony of Baker's comments....

I think you're missing the gist of some commenters. The subject of QB winning percentage was brought up by Mayfield, not Jones, or DBR. It was Mayfield who was tone deaf about QB winning percentages given than his NFL percentage is about what Jones' college percentage is. It is this missing of the irony, the tone deafness, the lack of self awareness of Mayfield that is the point. The stuff about Duke NFL QBs in the last 20 years is simply not relevant to the topic here. I assume everyone here can understand the irony of Baker's comments...
    No, I understand what people are getting at, but Baker's pro career vs. DJ's college career is apples and oranges isn't it? Certainly his college career was much better (obviously he had more talent surrounding him) so I mean, he isn't wrong there. His pro career win % is basically exactly the same as DJs college career anyway (against much better competition than DJ faced in college).

Which is beside the point if you grant that Mayfield's comments were taken out of context, which I suspect they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    No, I understand what people are getting at, but Baker's pro career vs. DJ's college career is apples and oranges isn't it? Certainly his college career was much better (obviously he had more talent surrounding him) so I mean, he isn't wrong there. His pro career win % is basically exactly the same as DJs college career anyway (against much better competition than DJ faced in college).

Which is beside the point if you grant that Mayfield's comments were taken out of context, which I suspect they were.
    We're gonna have to disagree on this. It was Mayfield who made winning percentage for QBs the ultimate rating...without respects to how talented your team is...and without the self awareness that he himself has a losing record due to the people around him. He missed that irony, on the issue of irony, and lack of self awareness, the comparison to college and pros is not relevant. The only thing that is relevant is the fact that a QB's winning percentage has almost everything to do with the talent around him. Mayfield applied one standard to DJ and was seemingly unaware the same can be applied to him. Thus the irony.