Page 133 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 3204
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And Toomer and Plaxico.

I said 20 years for a reason, Toomer is just out* sorry.

Technically he's just in (his last big season in 2003) but I didn't really get into football until the mid 2000s (high school/college) so I wasn't really around for that. Should have said 15 years to be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I kdidn't really get into football until the mid 2000s (high school/college.
    Wait a minute: You were in high school in the mid-2000s?? That would mean there are posters on here who are younger than 50. 😮

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wait a minute: You were in high school in the mid-2000s?? That would mean there are posters on here who are younger than 50. 😮
    Mid-2000s. I'd already had three knee scopes by then and have replacement parts older than that.

The idea that Geno Smith and Derek Carr are better quarterbacks than Daniel Jones is patently absurd. He is significantly better than both of them. And significantly younger, too. This is not even a contest,
    As the anti-Kedsy (or maybe bizarro Kedsy?), I have no numbers, no QB ratings, no pass completion percentages, no nothing on which to base this, so take it with a grain of salt....From my perspective, I think it is pretty clear that he is head and shoulders better than Geno Smith. I'm not so confident that everybody would agree that he is better than Derek Carr.

Again, since this is based on absolutely nothing, I am happy to be proven completely wrong.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I’m happy for Jones. Now he’ll have to show what he can do downfield if they manage to get him WR help

The idea that Geno Smith and Derek Carr are better quarterbacks than Daniel Jones is patently absurd. He is significantly better than both of them. And significantly younger, too. This is not even a contest,
    Geno put up amazing numbers this season. I'm a huge fan of Geno - especially the way he stepped into a situation where expectations were incredibly low. He absolutely exceeded anything anyone reasonable would have thought he could do last season, and for that alone he earned his contract.

His contact what's reasonable numbers, is for three years, and is front-loaded. I suspect that is more of recognition for what he did last year than for what he is likely expected to do in seasons two and three of the new contract.

I suspect Seattle used one of their picks in this draft on a QB that can learn from the bench for a chunk of time. My personal hope is that they get more help for the defense with their early picks and take a flyer on a quarterback later on that may or may not hit.

This has been your Seahawks Update - thanks for attending my TED Talk.

Here are the full details:

Signing bonus: $36 million.
    2. 2023 base salary: $9.5 million, fully guaranteed.
    3. 2023 workout bonus: $500,000, fully guaranteed.
    4. 2024 base salary: $35.5 million, fully guaranteed.
    5. 2024 workout bonus: $500,000, fully guaranteed.
    6. 2025 base salary: $30 million, $23 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing and $12 million of which converts to full guarantee at the start of the 2025 league year.
    7. 2025 workout bonus: $500,000.
    8. 2026 offseason roster bonus: $1 million, due at start of league year.
    9. 2026 base salary: $46 million, non guaranteed.
    10. 2026 workout bonus: $500,000.

There are also annual incentives of $1MM for being a top 15 QB, $2.5MM for being top 10, and $4MM for being top 5. (The article doesn't define what measurement is used for that). He also gets escalators in those amounts, which I guess means he not only gets the bonus, but gets a bump in future base salaries in the same amount. There are also playoff incentives which aren't specified, but which can reach $5MM, plus $5MM in escalators.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...el-jones-deal/

Given how much of 2025 is guaranteed, it seems like it can really be looked at as a 3-year deal with an AAV of $37.5 million, plus performance incentives, with a $47.5MM team option for the 4th year.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Geno put up amazing numbers this season. I'm a huge fan of Geno - especially the way he stepped into a situation where expectations were incredibly low. He absolutely exceeded anything anyone reasonable would have thought he could do last season, and for that alone he earned his contract.

His contact what's reasonable numbers, is for three years, and is front-loaded. I suspect that is more of recognition for what he did last year than for what he is likely expected to do in seasons two and three of the new contract.

I suspect Seattle used one of their picks in this draft on a QB that can learn from the bench for a chunk of time. My personal hope is that they get more help for the defense with their early picks and take a flyer on a quarterback later on that may or may not hit.

This has been your Seahawks Update - thanks for attending my TED Talk.
    I enjoyed watching Smith play in 2022. I don’t think I had seen him make any positive plays at all prior to then, though I know he probably did. But as far as what was shown on Sportscenter in years past it was decidedly focused on the negative. Honestly, I was surprised to find him still in the league at all after he emerged as Seattle’s starter in 2022.

And from what I saw and read of him this past season he seemed to play pretty well on a consistent basis, though he tailed off a bit in the latter part of the year. As to comparisons between he and Daniel Jones, I feel confident in saying that if they were to switch teams, Jones would have dramatically more success in Seattle then Smith would have in New York. Smith’s WR/TE group — highlighted by Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf — is lightyears beyond what Jones is working with in New York.

All that being said, Geno Smith has made a remarkable turnaround — to a degree that is almost unheard of — and is one of the biggest surprise stories in the entire NFL.

Not sure how much of a difference this will make for Jones, but Jamison Crowder, turning 30, coming off a season lost to injury, has signed with the Giants.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mison-crowder/
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Not sure how much of a difference this will make for Jones, but Jamison Crowder, turning 30, coming off a season lost to injury, has signed with the Giants.
    good pickup, a competent target for Jones, and he probably doesn't cost a lot right now. Still need a downfield threat or two.

The Giants have made marginal improvement at receiver. They got Parris Campbell from the Colts. Hodgins who they picked up mid-season from Buffalo showed a lot of potential, and he is the one taller guy (I think he is about 6-4) - most of the rest of the wideouts are short, which worries me.

They also got Darren Waller from the Raiders who has shown flashes of greatness. And Bellinger played really well as a rookie except he missed half the season with an injury. I think there will be a lot of two tight end sets.

So there is not the superstar, but there is a decent squad and a little more depth.

OBJ is still out there and there is some talk of him going to the Jets with Rodgers, who also picked up Mecole Hardman (along with Lazard).

The Duke to Duke connection baby!!

Exciting news for Duke fans. I hope to see lots of Jones to Crowder completions.
    Bob Green

NJ.com: Eli Manning thinks Daniel Jones can lead Giants back to Super Bowl glory: ‘The moment is never too big for him’

Manning, who retired after the 2019 season, thinks Jones is ready to take the next step. They spent just Jones’ rookie season together — with Jones replacing Manning as the starter in Week 3 — but have remained close since Manning’s retirement.

“The fact that he has had struggles — and I had struggles — I think if you work through those and you learn how to grind it out, it makes you appreciate the good times,” Manning said. “And [you] understand: ‘Hey, I want to keep winning. I want to win championships. I want to do all those right things for my organization and for the fans and everybody.’ So I think he has the right mentality to take the next steps.”

Obviously big year for Jones. It's also worth noting how the Giants have hedged their bet on him. Yes, he gets his $40 million per, but only guaranteed for two years, so their commitment in terms of longevity is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Obviously big year for Jones. It's also worth noting how the Giants have hedged their bet on him. Yes, he gets his $40 million per, but only guaranteed for two years, so their commitment in terms of longevity is limited.
    Still better than being tagged twice. Daniel will be just fine and barring no injuries is likely to make more down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Still better than being tagged twice. Daniel will be just fine and barring no injuries is likely to make more down the road.
    I hope so. I just don't think the Giants are really all in on him. They gave him what they had to, but I still think they're equivocal...hope he shows them this year.

I hope so. I just don't think the Giants are really all in on him. They gave him what they had to, but I still think they're equivocal...hope he shows them this year.
    Isn't there a lot of sincerity in an $80 million guarantee?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Isn't there a lot of sincerity in an $80 million guarantee?
    Like I said. They paid him because they had to but they are only committed for two years which is short if he’s really “your guy .”

Like I said. They paid him because they had to but they are only committed for two years which is short if he’s really “your guy .”
    Sounds to me like they were being smart. They get to keep Jones and see if he continues his upward trajectory. If he does they get to keep him longer, if he regresses they can bail.