Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 667
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'll happily join fdd and BD80 in rooting for the Giants against the Cowboys.
    I root for almost anyone against the Cowboys. Dislike from the 70s-80s lasts a long time.

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    "Brady and Bündchen stick to a firm set of dietary rules: No white sugar. No white flour. No nightshade vegetables (peppers, eggplant, tomatoes) for Brady. Only whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, and millet. And no dairy -- Brady says he eats an ice cream made from an avocado base." WebMD

    Brady and I maintain a similar lifestyle. We both have personal chefs. His chef is Allen Campbell, mine is the 3rd shift fry cook at Burger King.
    You are a person of discerning taste.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    "Brady and Bündchen stick to a firm set of dietary rules: No white sugar. No white flour. No nightshade vegetables (peppers, eggplant, tomatoes) for Brady. Only whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, and millet. And no dairy -- Brady says he eats an ice cream made from an avocado base." WebMD

    Brady and I maintain a similar lifestyle. We both have personal chefs. His chef is Allen Campbell, mine is the 3rd shift fry cook at Burger King.
    Yeah, my diet is pretty much like Brady's too, except I eat a lot of white sugar and white flour. Oh, and I love "nightshade vegetables." But otherwise, the same. Except I don't eat brown rice, millet, or quinoa much; prefer white rice. And cheese and ice cream are pretty much daily for me.

    But aside from that, our diets are extremely similar.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  4. #224

    The Giants have screwed this up

    I fail to understand why they didn't cut Eli before the season. According to pro football focus, he was the 28th ranked out of 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL last year.

    If they think Jones is worthy of the 6th pick, then they thing he is the quarterback of the future and they should have started him from Day 1 OR gotten a cheaper than Eli veteran to start until Jones was ready and used the money from Eli's salary to get other players to improve their areas of weakness. I hope Jones does well.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I fail to understand why they didn't cut Eli before the season. According to pro football focus, he was the 28th ranked out of 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL last year.

    If they think Jones is worthy of the 6th pick, then they thing he is the quarterback of the future and they should have started him from Day 1 OR gotten a cheaper than Eli veteran to start until Jones was ready and used the money from Eli's salary to get other players to improve their areas of weakness. I hope Jones does well.
    as they noted on PTI last night, Jones could still get injured, or stumble, so Manning might not necessarily be entirely done...

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I root for almost anyone against the Cowboys. Dislike from the 70s-80s lasts a long time.
    What about your dislike of America’s Team from the 90’s??

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What about your dislike of America’s Team from the 90’s??
    Since they gave themselves that name with their 1978 highlight film (yes, I googled it), my stated time frame stands. FYI - I was (am?) a Steelers fan and I lived in Houston for a time. Best Oilers' quote was Carl Mauck who told all the Cowboy fans in Houston to get out of town - on the evening news. It was great!

  8. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as they noted on PTI last night, Jones could still get injured, or stumble, so Manning might not necessarily be entirely done...
    That's a very good point. I would argue that you could have cut Manning and signed a veteran (Blake Bortles, for example) that would have given you the same level of performance, saved you some money that could have been put into other positions, and not caused a QB controversy.

    Eli Manning is a class act and has been a very good pro quarterback. He is also, pretty clearly, done, at least as a Giant. The NFL is cold place, and I think the right choice would have been to cut ties with him in the offseason. If Daniel Jones gets hurt and Eli returns as starter, the Giants are going to be bad.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    That's a very good point. I would argue that you could have cut Manning and signed a veteran (Blake Bortles, for example) that would have given you the same level of performance, saved you some money that could have been put into other positions, and not caused a QB controversy.

    Eli Manning is a class act and has been a very good pro quarterback. He is also, pretty clearly, done, at least as a Giant. The NFL is cold place, and I think the right choice would have been to cut ties with him in the offseason. If Daniel Jones gets hurt and Eli returns as starter, the Giants are going to be bad.
    I think the Giants are just bad, period. Not the best situation for Jones to move into, but I'm sure he wouldn't change places with any of us. Living a dream. Good for him. What, 4 years ago he couldn't get a major college to look at him (Duke stumbled upon him), and now he's starting for the NY Giants.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Daniel's all set with a former Duke athlete girlfriend and a fine yellow lab:

    https://nypost.com/2019/09/18/meet-e...-daniel-jones/

  11. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    That's a very good point. I would argue that you could have cut Manning and signed a veteran (Blake Bortles, for example) that would have given you the same level of performance, saved you some money that could have been put into other positions, and not caused a QB controversy.

    Eli Manning is a class act and has been a very good pro quarterback. He is also, pretty clearly, done, at least as a Giant. The NFL is cold place, and I think the right choice would have been to cut ties with him in the offseason. If Daniel Jones gets hurt and Eli returns as starter, the Giants are going to be bad.
    The Giants handling of Manning has been a mess, but it has its complications. On one hand, there are those that still thought Manning had a little something left in the tank but was hampered by an awful offensive line. The offensive line was a disaster, and personally, I think it had a lot to do with Manning's recent play. However, management has rebuilt the offensive line the last two years and no longer should be used to justify his performances.

    Manning also has a lot of good will built up from the two Super Bowl runs. About 2-3 years ago, the prior coach, Ben McAdoo, who was a disaster with the media and fans, sat Manning to play Geno Smith (that wasn't technically what happened, but what in essence happened). The fan base exploded. Ownership, who signed off on the move, was caught completely off guard by the fan reaction. Truthfully, if they were sitting Manning to play their then 3rd round pick, Davis Webb, the fans wouldn't have reacted that way. People may have understood taking a look at your young QB to see what you have at the end of another lost season. But everyone in New York knew what kind of disaster Geno Smith was from his days with the Jets, and that he would never be the heir apparent. Plus, the way McAdoo handled the switch was just a nightmare. That PR nightmare lasted one game, and they went back to Manning (and fired the coach). I think this episode so shell shocked ownership, that they were hesitant to make a QB change so quickly (which was an overreaction). Many thought they should have drafted one of the young QBs in the 2018 NFL draft. They took Barkley (who is a stud). In any case, after getting Barkley, they resigned OBJ to an extension before the 2018 season and tried to improve their offensive line, so many thought Manning would play better in 2018. Giants still stunk.

    So, for 2019, with no QB ready to take over, they drafted DJ. Their plan for 2019 was for Manning to play the whole year, letting DJ learn, and then likely let him take over in 2020 (similar to what the Chiefs did with Pat Mahomes). However, once DJ had his tremendous preseason, the talk began to focus on when DJ would take over this year. At that point, local fans and media felt like unless Manning was leading the Giants to the playoffs, they would probably make a change this year and just debated when. Most thought it might happen about 10 games into the season. Why the switch now? I just think their philosophy changed. They are 0-2 and they don't look good offensively, so they might as well put DJ in and let him learn on the job. He has a stud running back, and although their receivers are not top notch, they have a good tight end in Engram, and the line has improved a bit.

    Personally, I think DJ's preseason play just changed the whole dynamic. When he was drafted, the fans booed, as we know. Management obviously liked him, but I don't even think they thought he would play as well as he did preseason. DJ's preseason play turned the public opinion around, and his elevation became a matter of time once the Giants continued to lose and look weak offensively. They need a change and a spark. While you would prefer not to have a $20+ million back-up quarterback, this season now for the Giants is really about DJ's development. If they go 3-13 but he evolves into looking like their QB of the future, it becomes a successful season for them (which also helps the coach defend his record). Manning will be a good teammate and help DJ through the season, which will actually be worth it for the Giants and DJ. You can't put a price tag on that.

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What about your dislike of America’s Team from the 90’s??
    Im still sore at jerry for running jimmy johnson off.that cost us a few more superbowl appearances.
    Jones is the best chance for the giants .they should ride the year out with him.
    They will be better for it.

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    There was a huge uproar in NY when they drafted a quarterback from Duke that very few had ever heard of, let alone seen.

    What do you think the reaction would have been if the Giants said "oh yeah, and one more thing -- we've traded Eli"?

    The Giants were brave enough to make the decision to pick DJ 6th as is. Fingers crossed, he has a good game and good season when he is in!
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You think 98% of DBR posters wouldn’t rather live in New York City over Cleveland if they had to choose between the two? This is just silly.
    I'd rather live in NYC for 2 years, but Cleveland if it's 15.

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of Travis County
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Why are people wasting their time hating on the Cowboys when that organization sabotages itself from within? The Patriots are the only real evil we should all unite against...😀
    True and true. Dallas is hamstrung by an egomaniacal and incompetent GM who has lifetime job security.

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'd rather live in NYC for 2 years, but Cleveland if it's 15.
    I agree with the general sentiment but would change Cleveland to any major city suburbs. I love visiting NYC and would have gladly lived there before I had children...

  17. #237

    Love this analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    The Giants handling of Manning has been a mess, but it has its complications. On one hand, there are those that still thought Manning had a little something left in the tank but was hampered by an awful offensive line. The offensive line was a disaster, and personally, I think it had a lot to do with Manning's recent play. However, management has rebuilt the offensive line the last two years and no longer should be used to justify his performances.
    --truncated
    I think this is spot-on. So much so that I would like to point you all to this article written by one of my favorite bloggers, David Roth of Deadspin:

    https://deadspin.com/this-might-fina...ing-1838193705

    "Management was high on Duke’s Daniel Jones in ways that suggested they might also have been high on other things, and while Jones showed some promise in the preseason—he still looks like a dang Lego Man with his helmet off, but he also looked much more fluid and creative and capable than fans feared—there was still the question of when and how any change would come"

  18. #238
    I spent a year in Manhattan one month. I was never so glad to get out of anywhere as I was at the end of that month.

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I spent a year in Manhattan one month. I was never so glad to get out of anywhere as I was at the end of that month.
    "If they ain't got a Grand Ole Opry
    Like they do down in Tennessee,
    Just send me to hell or New York City
    Cause it would be about the same to me"

    -Hank

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Right now the league is filled with teams who have had starters injured and are largely SOL...so having Eli waiting around is hardly the worst thing...nothing is going to make the Giants good this year, they just have to try and improve and get Jones good experience...at least the OL is improved somewhat...

    p.s. Terry Bradshaw says Eli should "pack his bags and go home," so obviously the right move is to do the opposite and stick around.
    Last edited by budwom; 09-19-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. The “Daniel Jones deserves his own injury vigil” vigil
    By scottdude8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 09-21-2018, 01:42 PM
  2. Replies: 125
    Last Post: 08-20-2018, 01:50 PM
  3. Official "Would an All Kentucky NBA team beat Golden State" thread
    By FerryFor50 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 03:07 PM
  4. Replies: 109
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •