Page 103 of 161 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 3204
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...aquon-barkley/

Continue to get the feeling the Giants aren't Jones fans..
    At this point, "continue to evaluate" Jones and Barkley means "SEEYA!" I expect both players' reps are looking for other teams to sign with.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...aquon-barkley/

Continue to get the feeling the Giants aren't Jones fans..
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I continue to get the feeling that this is good for Jones....
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    At this point, "continue to evaluate" Jones and Barkley means "SEEYA!" I expect both players' reps are looking for other teams to sign with.
    If I were Daniel Jones, I'd be tempted to say "screw you" to the Giants and find another (better) team that wants him. Let the Giants TRY to find a better QB.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    If I were Daniel Jones, I'd be tempted to say "screw you" to the Giants and find another (better) team that wants him. Let the Giants TRY to find a better QB.
    Well the Giants could acquire Baker Mayfield who has appeared in many more TV ads than Jones.

I hope Jones brings NYG playoff memories and then middle fingers the City.

Both Daboll and Schoen seem like level-headed types. That said, I continue to be struck by how they both use somewhat tepid language about Jones’ performances to date. It’s always some variation on “he’s done a good job” and “he’s a hard worker” and little more. When that language shifts or they start praising other aspects of DJ’s game, I’ll believe that Schoen and Daboll prefer to bring Jones back, but count me among those who think that is their less-preferred option.

Still, I don’t know how the Giants could possibly attract a free agent qb given their current WR room, and the free agent wr market is supposed to be very expensive after the season, so even if I’m right about their feelings, they may find they need to continue with DJ for at least another season. The previous Giants GM really did a number on the Giants during his tenure and there’s a lot of work to be done.

Whether Jones has other options in a qb-deficient NFL, I don’t know.
    Last edited by jafarr1; 11-02-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    Both Daboll and Schoen seem like level-headed types. That said, I continue to be struck by how they both use somewhat tepid language about Jones’ performances to date. It’s always some variation on “he’s done a good job” and “he’s a hard worker” and little more. When that language shifts or they start praising other aspects of DJ’s game, I’ll believe that Schoen and Daboll prefer to bring Jones back, but count me among those who think that is their less-preferred option.

Still, I don’t know how the Giants could possibly attract a free agent qb given their current WR room, and the free agent wr market is supposed to be very expensive after the season, so even if I’m right about their feelings, they may find they need to continue with DJ for at least another season. The previous Giants GM really did a number on the Giants during his tenure and there’s a lot of work to be done.

My concern (which I have hesitated to put in writing lest I somehow jinx Daniel) is the the Giants will keep Daniel for as long as they can on short term contracts while they shore up other positions. That gives the team flexibility to look at their options a year or two down the road, including whether Jones has continued to progress and (perhaps most importantly) whether his body holds up. Every time Jones runs, there is some chance that he will be injured.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    My concern (which I have hesitated to put in writing lest I somehow jinx Daniel) is the the Giants will keep Daniel for as long as they can on short term contracts while they shore up other positions. That gives the team flexibility to look at their options a year or two down the road, including whether Jones has continued to progress and (perhaps most importantly) whether his body holds up. Every time Jones runs, there is some chance that he will be injured.
    Feel so bad for Daniel- poor guy might have to manage with 27M next year with a transition tag rather than $32 M with a franchise tag.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Feel so bad for Daniel- poor guy might have to manage with 27M next year with a transition tag rather than $32 M with a franchise tag.
    Yeah, that’s a tough break for the kid. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Now I’m really nervous I’ve jinxed him. He doesn’t have any of that nailed down yet.

Now I’m really nervous I’ve jinxed him. He doesn’t have any of that nailed down yet.
    Yeah, the chances of him getting that particular deal aren't great at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post

But maybe they DO like Jones and want him back. They'd want to achieve that outcome on the best possible terms for the NYG. IE on a cheap, team friendly deal. A deal in the 25-28 million range for the next 4-5 years, with plenty of team outs. A top tier WR (I'll come back to this) WOULD help evaluate DJ, but that can get bad for the team in a couple of ways. First, if it shows that DJ is definitely the QB for the NYG, his price tag hits 30-35 million per year, and probably on the upper tier of that range. And the contract wouldn't be as team friendly. And if it proves that DJ is NOT the guy, then the NYG are going to have to go get a QB this year. Probably a retread in hopes of losing games to get the best possible guy in NEXT year's class.

The NYG just need too much help in the draft to give up draft picks for new WRs. They need multiple WRs, and multiple CBs. I feel like some WR1s and CB1s and plenty of CB2s will be available in rounds 1-3.

Get DJ a young WR in round 1, some CBs in their next few picks, and reevaluate next year. Give DJ a transition tag, or IMO, a 4-5 year deal for relatively cheap. If you are DJ, you might take that deal to be with a good coaching staff in a media market where a winner can make big money.

Two years down the road. The QB draft class of 2024 will be chock full of talent. I keep beating this drum, but it bears repeating. There will be guys taken mid to late first round of that draft who would go ahead of all but 1 QB in this year's class. And there are 2-3 guys who'd go ahead of all of this year's QBs THIS year if they were eligible, which they are not.

I think the NYG want to improve the rest of their roster, and start over with a talented QB on his rookie deal under Dabol.

Quote Originally Posted by HayYou View Post
    Two years down the road. The QB draft class of 2024 will be chock full of talent. I keep beating this drum, but it bears repeating. There will be guys taken mid to late first round of that draft who would go ahead of all but 1 QB in this year's class. And there are 2-3 guys who'd go ahead of all of this year's QBs THIS year if they were eligible, which they are not.

I think the NYG want to improve the rest of their roster, and start over with a talented QB on his rookie deal under Dabol.
    I get the same impression...they're waiting for Jones to wilt so they can cut him loose and pick their own guy...if they really wanted to give Jones a twenty some million multi year deal, they could have done so already.

I get the same impression...they're waiting for Jones to wilt so they can cut him loose and pick their own guy...if they really wanted to give Jones a twenty some million multi year deal, they could have done so already.
    I hope you’re right. I’d love to see Daniel go elsewhere — preferably out of the NFC East.

they DO want Barkley

https://nypost.com/2022/11/02/joe-sc...aquon-barkley/

Seems sort of telling Schoen wants Barkley inked to a long term deal, but crickets on Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I hope you’re right. I’d love to see Daniel go elsewhere — preferably out of the NFC East.
    But where? I just don't see a good landing spot. Maybe New Orleans. Outside of that, I see a dark future wherein DJ is brought in to look competitive on bad teams as they rebuild. He spends years getting beat up for around 10 million (it's a big number, but not compared to other QB salaries) on losing teams, and becomes a journeyman punch line. Literally and figuratively.

I think there are fans around here that envision some top tier landing spots for DJ where he'd step in on some good teams and game manage his way to SB contention. I don't see those teams. I did in the pre-season, but this year has dissuaded me from those delusions.

Where do folks envision him going that would be a better situation than what the NYG are building?

But where? I just don't see a good landing spot. Maybe New Orleans. Outside of that, I see a dark future wherein DJ is brought in to look competitive on bad teams as they rebuild. He spends years getting beat up for around 10 million (it's a big number, but not compared to other QB salaries) on losing teams, and becomes a journeyman punch line. Literally and figuratively.

I think there are fans around here that envision some top tier landing spots for DJ where he'd step in on some good teams and game manage his way to SB contention. I don't see those teams. I did in the pre-season, but this year has dissuaded me from those delusions.

Where do folks envision him going that would be a better situation than what the NYG are building?
    I don’t have a specific team in mind. But I do know that a good GM working together with a good head coach can turn around a team’s fortunes rather quickly, especially if they have a good QB. I’ve seen it done many times. And I’ve also seen bad GMs/coaches (and this a lot more common) who are never able to turn a bad team into a good one.

But I mainly want Daniel out of the division so the Cowboys don’t have to face him. 😉 I’m conflicted every time Dallas has to play the NYG.

As a Saints fan, I would *love* to see him in the Crescent City and agree it is the most plausible "good" situation for him. Put his passing and running abilities (in that order) together with Taysom's running and passing and receiving abilities (in that order) and my god, they'd have a great offense. It's also a hell of a WR room when they are all healthy, and a pretty good one even this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    As a Saints fan, I would *love* to see him in the Crescent City and agree it is the most plausible "good" situation for him. Put his passing and running abilities (in that order) together with Taysom's running and passing and receiving abilities (in that order) and my god, they'd have a great offense. It's also a hell of a WR room when they are all healthy, and a pretty good one even this year.
    They'd have to move on from Jameis, and I'm not sure the franchise has the will to do that just now. At least, not for DJ. And that defense is wonky and aging. They might want to improve on that side of the ball in the draft, and reevaluate at QB next year.

I don’t have a specific team in mind. But I do know that a good GM working together with a good head coach can turn around a team’s fortunes rather quickly, especially if they have a good QB. I’ve seen it done many times. And I’ve also seen bad GMs/coaches (and this a lot more common) who are never able to turn a bad team into a good one.

But I mainly want Daniel out of the division so the Cowboys don’t have to face him. 😉 I’m conflicted every time Dallas has to play the NYG.
    But he has a good coach and GM with the NYG. I get your fandom is conflicting. I don't suffer from that. I generally pull for players rather than teams at the NFL level, so my current "team" is the NYG. If DJ leaves then that team would be my team (a move to the Pats would be a Schrodinger's Cat for me).

But this is representative of a point I've been trying to make. Looking forward, the NYG might be DJ's best option.

A huge, HUGE complicating factor is timing. DJ's option not being picked up (a decision the NYG wish they had back, I'm sure). This year being weak on QBs (and Hooker in the 2nd round might be a giant fork in DJ's eye). Next year being strong on QBs. All of this complicates DJ's and the team's and OTHER team's plans.

It is probably in DJ's best long term interest to stay with the NYG. But I'm just not sure if they want that.

Yup. A great example of this is the Dolphins. 2 years ago and even last year there were serious doubts about Tua’s ability to lead a team to a playoff run or more. Even coming into this year there were. There have been many middling, noncommittal, non-positive responses from the Dolphin brass about Tua in the last few years. Well, they’ve added two world class speedsters at receiver plus a pass catching tight end and an all-pro offensive tackle and drafted other linemen. Voila! Tua is one of the top rated QBs in football and the brass and the fans are gushing. The team has made some other wise personnel moves and draft choices and even with the tumult caused by the Flores situation and the tampering by the idiotic owner, this team is viewed by most as a team on the rise if not a contender right now. So it can be done. The Giants would be foolish to not re-sign DJ. Follow the Dolphin model. Get him some receivers and a line, draft better overall, make a few other signings and you’ll be in business.