Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

The "Daniel Jones deserves his own thread" thread

Instead of burying discussion about the future of Duke football in the NFL, let's highlight him with his own thread! He deserves it.

I'll start it off by with "dog bites man" style news: Baker Mayfield said some silly words. Sure, you can be surprised Jones got picked so early, but not calling him a "winner"? That's just false. Going to a bowl 2 of 3 years at Duke given the supporting cast he had relative to his direct competition, let alone the skill guys Baker had at Oklahoma, sure sounds like a "winner" to me. You can't compare apples and oranges. If Baker wanted to talk about a guy who wasn't a "winner" in college, consider that No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff was a combined 6-18 in his first two years, and just squeaked out bowl eligibility in his last year at 7-5, at a school that has had success historically at football (Cal).

Despite the success we've had over the past 6-7 years on the football field Duke can't quite shake the specter of it's horrible past, and that continues to color people's opinion not only of the program, but of Jones. It's frustrating, but hopefully that puts an extra chip on our (and Daniel's!) shoulder. I can't wait for Jones to prove them all wrong.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Instead of burying discussion about the future of Duke football in the NFL, let's highlight him with his own thread! He deserves it.

I'll start it off by with "dog bites man" style news: Baker Mayfield said some silly words. Sure, you can be surprised Jones got picked so early, but not calling him a "winner"? That's just false. Going to a bowl 2 of 3 years at Duke given the supporting cast he had relative to his direct competition, let alone the skill guys Baker had at Oklahoma, sure sounds like a "winner" to me. You can't compare apples and oranges. If Baker wanted to talk about a guy who wasn't a "winner" in college, consider that No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff was a combined 6-18 in his first two years, and just squeaked out bowl eligibility in his last year at 7-5, at a school that has had success historically at football (Cal).

Despite the success we've had over the past 6-7 years on the football field Duke can't quite shake the specter of it's horrible past, and that continues to color people's opinion not only of the program, but of Jones. It's frustrating, but hopefully that puts an extra chip on our (and Daniel's!) shoulder. I can't wait for Jones to prove them all wrong.
    I'm not sure Daniel needs a chip on his shoulder, what with the collarbone issues.

I strongly support a Daniel thread. I hope it is busy for all the right reasons this season.

Baker clearly doesn’t have a sense of his position’s history. Many of the NFL greats have made their way along some bumpy paths and weren’t at the helms of blue chip college programs with winning traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Baker clearly doesn’t have a sense of his position’s history. Many of the NFL greats have made their way along some bumpy paths and weren’t at the helms of blue chip college programs with winning traditions.
    Phil Simms is similar to DJ in that he was a high draft choice for the Giants out of an ever smaller program. In fact, IIRC, Simms had more INTs his senior year than TDs.

Turned out okay, I guess.

I wonder how Duke would have done with Baker Mayfield and how Oklahoma would have done with Jones- assuming the system was made to fit each player’s style but talent level around them was kept the same. I’m not sure Mayfield would have won much (if any) more at Duke but I don’t think Jones does better than Mayfield at OU...

I am surprised the Browns are keeping them as their starting quarterback. He only has a 7-7 record as a pro- looks pretty mediocre- I mean you need to win and he wins as much as he loses- so...

Baker seems to be Exhibit A for jealousy in the workplace. He doesn't merit any more attention. Daniel is special, a rare player whose backstory belies how good he really is. I like watching him continue becoming better and better. Here's to a remarkable year!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Baker seems to be Exhibit A for jealousy in the workplace. He doesn't merit any more attention. Daniel is special, a rare player whose backstory belies how good he really is. I like watching him continue becoming better and better. Here's to a remarkable year!
    Baker Mayfield is a hothead who runs his mouth a lot, but I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy. With all due respect to DJ, what on Earth would he be jealous of DJ for?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I wonder how Duke would have done with Baker Mayfield and how Oklahoma would have done with Jones- assuming the system was made to fit each player’s style but talent level around them was kept the same. I’m not sure Mayfield would have won much (if any) more at Duke but I don’t think Jones does better than Mayfield at OU...
    I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't argue Daniel is better than Baker, who was obviously a special talent (especially in the college game). But I think the difference would be a matter of maybe one win a season, not a precipitous falloff like Baker seems to be implying. And when you factor in who fits the pro game more, the comparison gets a bit more complicated and potentially in Daniel's favor. But that's all hypothetical!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I'm trying to stay level headed about Daniel. The post draft criticism of him was over the top, now some of the adulation is similarly extreme...as they say in sports clee-shay number four, don't get too high when you win, don't get too low when you lose. There are inevitable lumps to be taken.

He's off to a good start, he may or may not get some time this (regular) season, if he does I'm hopeful. Can't see making any declarations or assumptions about him at this point except that he has very good potential, is smart, and works hard. The same can't be said of a lot of NFL players.

Regarding Mayfield, irony noted, since he was a former walk on...had he been a "winner", wouldn't he have merited a scholarship?...in short, I doubt he knows anything about Daniel Jones, more than likely he has never seen him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

I strongly support a Daniel thread. I hope it is busy for all the right reasons this season.
    Three weeks from now this thread should grow stagnant.

I say it picks up again after the Giants 5th game:

They start AT Dallas, even without Zeke, a likely loss. DeMarcus Lawrence has returned for the Boys and may play week one; he loves hitting Eli, and may single-handedly usher in the DJ era.

The Gents then host Buffalo, a loss here would start the DJ chants, Buffalo could be pretty good this year.

Week 3 in Tampa, a third straight loss by Eli would make DJ the most popular QB in Giants history. The Giants are likely 2-1 or 1-2, no real need to change.

Weeks 4 and 5 are home games against the Skins and the Vikings. This should tell us where the Giants stand. Both teams are borderline playoff teams, but have to be considered 2 of the "easier" games on the schedule. And the fun starts …

The Patriots are next up. No sane coach would give a rookie his first start against Bill Belichek. But by now, Eli is likely "dead man walking." This will be Eli's "chance" to keep his starting job. But if the Giants start 2-4, do you continue with Eli? Chatter will be loud.

Now the critical stretch, Week 7 home against the Cardinals and Week 8 in Detroit. I think Giants management sticks with Eli long enough to get him to the soft spot in the schedule. These would be great games to start a rookie, but the team is soft for Eli and gives him a chance to turn the season around. Losses here would make the DJ clamor unbearable.

Two tough games leading into the bye week. At home against the hated Cowboys and across town against the Jets, Jets, Jets. Not a great situation to start a rookie QB. I do suspect that it will be revealed after game 10 that Eli has been battling an injury and they "hope" to have him back after the bye week.

DJ should be taking the helm of the 3-7 Giants against a pretty tough slate of opponents: @ Chicago, Packers, @ Philly, Dolphins, @ Washington, Eagles.

Will the bye week be good bye to Eli?

^ very plausible scenario...I just hope the OL is fairly competent, because regardless of how Eli performs, a bad OL will be unenjoyable for Jones or whoever plays...he has undeniable talent, but not enough to carry a bad team, which he Giants may or may not be...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Phil Simms is similar to DJ in that he was a high draft choice for the Giants out of an ever smaller program. In fact, IIRC, Simms had more INTs his senior year than TDs.

Turned out okay, I guess.
    Morehead State
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The history of OU QBs in the NFL includes numerous disappointments...even some Heisman winners...you know, not so much with Mayfield, but some OU QBs win awards and have big stats, but when you watch their highlights, they always have plenty of time to throw and their receivers are usually wide open. That's not how it is at Duke, nor how it is in the NFL.

Think Jason White: Heisman winner in 03, Heisman runner up in 04 - not even drafted - never played NFL football. Playing at Oklahoma with all that talent was fantasy, and the NFL is reality. Sam Bradford is mixed bag at best. Mayfield is yet to play out. But you would think someone who went from walk on to Heisman to NFL - would appreciate a guy who went from 2 star lightly recruited to 6th overall pick. Then again, no one ever accused Mayfield of maturity or perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Baker Mayfield is a hothead who runs his mouth a lot, but I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy. With all due respect to DJ, what on Earth would he be jealous of DJ for?
    Wow, - Baker Mayfield may be as big a jerk off the field as he is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    perfect for the browns.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Morehead State
    Yup. Per Wiki:

- His senior season he only had a 53.2% completion percentage with 6 TDs and 11 interceptions.
    - His college career completion rate was just 48.9%, with 32 TDs and 45 interceptions.

Giants took him seventh overall. He only went on to win two Super Bowls including being the MVP of SB XXI, and making two pro bowls.

His number is retired.

Bold moves, often times, succeed or fail stunningly. Which will this be? Not much “story” in the middle.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    [Archer] Phrasing! [/Archer]

Daniel Jones on Baker Mayfield: "I think he's a great player. He can throw it and I enjoy watching him play."

(Per tweet from Paul Schwartz of the NY Post).

That's how you show class.