Page 7 of 161 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have two fewer Super Bowls than they otherwise would have--and 0 perfect seasons--because of Eli Manning and the Giants. Eli is a hero. The fact that he isn't a very good QB is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
    HOF worthy. him and Tyree. tear down the statue of liberty and put up tom coughlin.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I'd say easily
    Palmer
    McNabb
    Newton
    McNair
    Smith
    Vick
    Stafford
    Luck

and still young but looks like they are already better than Eli at any point in his career

Wentz
    Goff
    Mahomes
    Baker

and too early to really tell but I would bet on

Darnold
    Trubisky

I could even see an argument for

Winston
    Anyone feel like doubling down on Luck having a better career than Eli?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yup, I will.

It seems his name is else than apt.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It seems his name is else than apt.
    Indeed. I think being perpetually in the rehab process finally got to him.

What do you mean by better career?

Haha I didn't see the news.

I will leave my other two inapt texts up for posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    What do you mean by better career?
    Most accomplished? If you look at the various passer rating stats he compares pretty favorable with Luck as well.

Regardless, mostly I was referring to the fact that Luck's career is over, so whatever you think of him he won't be adding to his resume.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Haha I didn't see the news.

I will leave my other two inapt texts up for posterity.
    I was kind of baiting people into it

Crazy news for sure.

Didn’t the Colts jolt a good QB for this guy? How many Superbowls did he win? The rich owners are idiots. This is exactly why college sports is so much better than the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    Didn’t the Colts jolt a good QB for this guy? How many Superbowls did he win? The rich owners are idiots. This is exactly why college sports is so much better than the pros.
    Daniel Snyder proves your theory

The rich owners are idiots line is a bit much...NO ONE saw this coming, no other players, no GM, no one. And speaking of GMs, these decisions are largely made by GMs and not owners (Skins and Cowboys notwithstanding...).

Could you please explain in greater detail what you’re trying to say?

Many owners may or may not be idiots, but they have created a gargantuan money making machine...even before considering straight profit and loss (hard to find for almost all of them) the appreciation of their franchises has been astronomical.
    The average value of an NFL franchise is estimated to be about $2.5 billion, and most current owners paid only a tiny fraction of that. And even if they perpetually stink (I'm looking at you, politically incorrect Redskins) they still make money hand over fist.

The Packers are publicly owned (uniquely I believe) so we get to see their financial statements...in 2017 they made a profit of $34 million (including, evidently, a $255 million payment (revenue) from the league, a 32 way split of TV revenues, etc)...they also say they have a "reserve fund" of $380 million.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...m-controversy/

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Could you please explain in greater detail what you’re trying to say?
    Without commenting on the merits, I think he's saying that they booted Peyton Manning out of town (who went on to win a superbowl afterwards) to bring in Luck.

Giants coach Pat Shurmur just said at his presser that Eli Manning has done enough to get ready for the season and will not play in the preseason finale. He also stated that Daniel Jones will start Thursday night against the Patriots in Foxborough.

Without commenting on the merits, I think he's saying that they booted Peyton Manning out of town (who went on to win a superbowl afterwards) to bring in Luck.
    Luck arrived in 2012, as Peyton departed for the Broncos. Peyton had missed the entire 2011 season, which may have been a factor in the team's decision.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Packers are publicly owned (uniquely I believe) so we get to see their financial statements...in 2017 they made a profit of $34 million (including, evidently, a $255 million payment (revenue) from the league, a 32 way split of TV revenues, etc)...they also say they have a "reserve fund" of $380 million.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...m-controversy/
    I’ve always wondered where that profit goes. The shares don’t pay anything out, so who gets the money?

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I’ve always wondered where that profit goes. The shares don’t pay anything out, so who gets the money?
    evidently it goes into the very large reserve fund...according to Wikipedia, there are no dividends, and unlike most common stock, the owners have no equity...all stockholders get are voting rights and an invitation to the annual meeting.
    Were it a for profit corporation, I imagine they'd have to pay out a bunch of the reserve fund (kind of like retained earnings) to stockholders so the IRS could get its chunk.

Eli Manning with his two Super Bowl rings laughs at the haters. The guy has always been a class act playing in one of the hardest media markets around. I don't think you'll find many Giants fans who honestly would consider Eli to be an elite QB, but the guy has been very good throughout his career.

For those of you who say his ticket to the HoF would only be punched by his Super Bowl wins, I wonder if you feel the same way about Kirby Puckett and his election to the Baseball HoF? I'm not sure Puckett's numbers warrant him being in the HoF, but his play in the World Series certainly helped.

Anyone want to name a great HoF worthy offensive player during Eli's time with the Giants? Don't all speak up at once. And if you're still hating on Eli do yourself a favor and check out the stats for most 4th quarter comebacks and see where Eli ranks. The guy is clutch.