Page 15 of 161 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Hmm, did you come under the sway of any postmodern sophistry at Duke back in the day? https://www.chronicle.com/article/A-...Thinker/127464

It might just be a song about going out with Mr. Jones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Jo...ng_Crows_song)

Some believe the song is a veiled reference to the protagonist of Bob Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man",[6] based on the lyric "I wanna be Bob Dylan, Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky." According to Adam Duritz on VH1 Storytellers, "It's really a song about my friend Marty and I. We went out one night to watch his dad play, his dad was a Flamenco guitar player who lived in Spain (David Serva), and he was in San Francisco in the mission playing with his old Flamenco troupe. And after the gig we all went to this bar called the New Amsterdam in San Francisco on Columbus."[7]

In a 2013 interview, Duritz explained that even though the song is named for his friend Marty Jones, it is actually about Duritz himself. "I wrote a song about me, I just happened to be out with him that night," Duritz said. The inspiration for the song came as Duritz and Jones were drunk at a bar after watching Jones' father perform ...
    Two interesting articles to start my day, thanks!

speaking of which, if you've ever seen genuine Flamenco, it's pretty amazing...mrs. Womble was just in Malaga viewing the real thing once again...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    speaking of which, if you've ever seen genuine Flamenco, it's pretty amazing...mrs. Womble was just in Malaga viewing the real thing once again...
    https://media.giphy.com/media/eJKrbK...udAn/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    I hope he goes play action on his first snap and heaves a bomb over the top past an unsuspecting corner.
    As I recall, that worked for Jay Shroeder on his first play after Joe Theisman's career was ended by LT on MNF.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    He made Clarkston Hines into a star.
    Except that Clarkston had already had a 1,000 yard with 10 tds season the prior year with Anthony Dilweg throwing the ball. And his senior and All-American season Billy Ray got more snaps than Dave. I would contend that it was Spurrier who made stars out of all of the above...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Except that Clarkston had already had a 1,000 yard with 10 tds season the prior year with Anthony Dilweg throwing the ball. And his senior and All-American season Billy Ray got more snaps than Dave. I would contend that it was Spurrier who made stars out of all of the above...
    Well my point was Clarkston Hines was considered the best WR in the league his senior year, considered better than Proehl, but the Wake receiver ended up being much better pro...

As for Spurrier, credit to him was assumed. But if I recall, that Spurrier bowl team was on the back of the very strong finish under Brown. IIRC Ray was the QB in the rain upset of Clemson, but that was a Cuthbert , defense and bad weather upset. Brown won games by outscoring other teams, and saved the season.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

IIRC Ray was the QB in the rain upset of Clemson, but that was a Cuthbert , defense and bad weather upset. Brown won games by outscoring other teams, and saved the season.
    Weird, but I was at that game, and I don’t remember rain. Not disputing you ... I’m questioning my memory. (I do a lot of that lately.)

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Weird, but I was at that game, and I don’t remember rain. Not disputing you ... I’m questioning my memory. (I do a lot of that lately.)
    i was there too, I vividly recall the moving Cuthbert pile, but don't recall the rain...I DO recall the drunk Clemson fan next to me who went from drunken condescension to drunken rage as the game progressed...a bit fun and a bit scary at the same time.

Great article about DJ in today’s NY Post. Learned a few things.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/21/nothin...pasteboard_app

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post

Excellent article, thanks for sharing!

Certainly hope he does well, unfortunately I'll be watching the Panthers and checking on Jones on gamecast or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post

Great read! Fair use quote to get hyped about tomorrow:

“And then the reaction in New York City was kind of a bummer.”

The draft party at MetLife Stadium responded to commissioner Roger Goodell’s announcement with boos, with gasps, with silence, with disbelief. Countless others cursed Dave Gettleman, John Mara, Pat Shurmur, God.

Jones had gone 17-19 as a college starter. He’d completed fewer than 60 percent of his passes. He was the first Duke quarterback taken in the first round, the school’s highest-drafted player in 32 years.

But he’d been victimized by the most dropped balls of any quarterback in the country. He’d never played with another player selected in the draft.

“It was kind of hard not to hear it,” Bates said. “People were texting me, calling me, and that was the big thing they were saying, that everybody hates him.”

Jones heard it, too.

Sunday, he responds.

“He’s not a Baker Mayfield, yelling, screaming, kind of guy,” McNulty said. “He’s a quiet leader. But underneath, he’s bubbling.”

Well, the new era begins today, Giants an underdog...get ready for the fans and media to turn on a, well, dime...will our man Daniel be Danny Dimes or Danny Dogpoo come 7:30 this evening?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Well, the new era begins today, Giants an underdog...get ready for the fans and media to turn on a, well, dime...will our man Daniel be Danny Dimes or Danny Dogpoo come 7:30 this evening?
    Short of multiple fumbles/INTs, I'm guessing fans will be forgiving if Giants don't win.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Short of multiple fumbles/INTs, I'm guessing fans will be forgiving if Giants don't win.
    I agree that winning it not at all required...but a look for competence will go a long way...wouldn't hurt for the defense to be less woeful, too.

Jones is 4-4 for 53 yards so far. Those early completions should build his confidence.
    Bob Green

Looks like he will get a chance for his first comeback victory

Does Jones play CB? No one will look good with the Giants, as long as that defense makes every QB they face look like an all-pro.

Gutsy running all over the place for our D Jones. Well done rook!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

First career NFL TD - on the ground

Who’s this Jones kid? Pretty good.