Page 9 of 161 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have not watched the games -- has Eli looked bad, or are the Giants just bad? Or something else?
    I haven't seen much either, but from what I've read, the answer is both. While many are clamoring for the Giants to start DJ yesterday, most level headed folks seem to think the earliest we'd see in is after week 4.
    Tampa Bay is up next, and they aren't good, so it's a good one for Eli to show that he can still be a winner. (FYI, Tampa just beat the Panthers, but that's nothing to brag about this season.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Eli has been his typical self sans the furious 4th quarter comebacks that happen frequently in those freak seasons when the Giants are destined to play a dominant Patriots team in the Super Bowl. This is not one of those seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You think 98% of DBR posters wouldn’t rather live in New York City over Cleveland if they had to choose between the two? This is just silly.
    Factoring in cost of living, I'd take Cleveland. I've always wanted to be in the 2%.

(I know - late to the thread)
    Last edited by DukieInKansas; 09-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.

The guys on Bloomberg news this morning were musing about whether it was time to go to Daniel against Tampa Bay this weekend. I have not watched the games -- has Eli looked bad, or are the Giants just bad? Or something else?
    Eli is basically the definition of mediocre at this point. And that might be giving him slightly too much credit. He's 56-89 (66%) for 556 yds and 2-2 TD-INT through 2 games. That's pretty unimpressive. It's not entirely his fault as the Giants receivers are pretty mediocre as well with OBJ gone. And the Giants have basically nothing to play for this year as most would readily admit they are not playoff caliber.

So it's a little bit of a tough call between letting Eli ride off into the NY sunset (emotional) or letting the young kid get some reps in an aimless season (practical).

I personally think they'll give Eli a little more time. But if the season continues like this, I have little doubt that Jones will start at some point.

- Chillin

ETA: Sorry, didn't see that CB&B responded. Should have refreshed.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I haven't seen much either, but from what I've read, the answer is both. While many are clamoring for the Giants to start DJ yesterday, most level headed folks seem to think the earliest we'd see in is after week 4.
    Tampa Bay is up next, and they aren't good, so it's a good one for Eli to show that he can still be a winner. (FYI, Tampa just beat the Panthers, but that's nothing to brag about this season.)
    It's both, but mainly skewed towards the Giants D. Thus far, Eli is ranked 22nd in QBR, a quarter back rating metric (http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr). 22nd isn't good, but here's the list folks he's currently better than (after 2 games): Rodgers, Winston, Goff, Mayfield, Trubisky, Newton, Roethlisberger, and Cousins.

It's risky to start Jones this early. He is not going to help the Giants this year. And starting him may destroy his confidence. I'd like to see him start much later in the season.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I kind of hope DJ doesn't start full time this year. He has got to work out his ball security issues before he gets a lot of game snaps, lest he makes a name for himself as the QB who fumbles all the time. So far he has looked excellent in the preseason and in the handful of snaps he got, except for that.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I kind of hope DJ doesn't start full time this year. He has got to work out his ball security issues before he gets a lot of game snaps, lest he makes a name for himself as the QB who fumbles all the time. So far he has looked excellent in the preseason and in the handful of snaps he got, except for that.
    I'm with you here too. I'd love to see a more rigorous analysis, but anecdotally I feel that first rounders who have an "apprentice year (at minimum)" seem to pan out in the long term more often than those thrown into the fire (Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes being the primary examples... I believe Carson Palmer also did this way back when). I can't think of a real "bust" off the top of my head that was a Top-15 pick that waited a year to start, but a bunch of busts amongst those who started right away. Heck, Josh Rosen isn't even into his second season and people are already writing him off entirely after being the No. 10 pick last year after struggling on the worst team in the league last year.

That said, if DJ starts he has a safety blanket that very few rookies have ever had in Saquon Barkley, not to mention a top TE in Engram (even if his receiving corps is historically awful). I could imagine a scenario where he starts, Barkley runs it 25 times a game, and half of DJ's passes go to either Barkley or Engram. That would be a nice, controlled, safe way to start his career.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    yeah, I look forward to seeing DJ on the field, but he's not going to make that bad team suddenly good...I suspect we'll see more of him by mid season...at this point there's no need to hurry things.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hmmm...

During his Monday morning presser after the Giants' 28-14 Week 2 loss to the Buffalo Bills, Shurmur left the door open for a change at the quarterback position a lot sooner than most originally anticipated.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...BBnbfcL#page=2
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'm with you here too. I'd love to see a more rigorous analysis, but anecdotally I feel that first rounders who have an "apprentice year (at minimum)" seem to pan out in the long term more often than those thrown into the fire (Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes being the primary examples... I believe Carson Palmer also did this way back when). I can't think of a real "bust" off the top of my head that was a Top-15 pick that waited a year to start, but a bunch of busts amongst those who started right away. Heck, Josh Rosen isn't even into his second season and people are already writing him off entirely after being the No. 10 pick last year after struggling on the worst team in the league last year.

That said, if DJ starts he has a safety blanket that very few rookies have ever had in Saquon Barkley, not to mention a top TE in Engram (even if his receiving corps is historically awful). I could imagine a scenario where he starts, Barkley runs it 25 times a game, and half of DJ's passes go to either Barkley or Engram. That would be a nice, controlled, safe way to start his career.
    Well, this could be the old causation versus correlation conundrum. Probably a team that has to start an untried, rookie quarterback is a bad team. And despite fans tending to credit or discredit the QB for everything pass-related on the field, without a good o-line, decent play calling, and receivers that can get open and catch the ball, even the best QB isn't going to look too good.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Trial balloon? Warning shot to all starters? Genuine uncertainty as to who should start?

Interesting.

Trial balloon? Warning shot to all starters? Genuine uncertainty as to who should start?

Interesting.
    Best bet.

Where did the nickname " Danny Dimes" come from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Where did the nickname " Danny Dimes" come from ?
    As I heard it, Giants fans on Twitter...that's where it gained traction. This in response to his very accurate passing in pre season games.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Factoring in cost of living, I'd take Cleveland. I've always wanted to be in the 2%.

(I know - late to the thread)
    I could actually afford to live in Cleveland.

NYC ? I'm too old to share an apartment with four roommates.

Adam Shefter is reporting that Jones has just been announced as the starter this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Adam Shefter is reporting that Jones has just been announced as the starter this coming weekend.
    At least a month earlier than expected, but Eli has not been good thus far this season.

Being reported by many outlets at this point.
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...44y-story.html
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    At least a month earlier than expected, but Eli has not been good thus far this season.

Being reported by many outlets at this point.
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...44y-story.html
    Tweeted out by the Giants - per the NY Post

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Tweeted out by the Giants - per the NY Post
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...es-starting-qb

Holy, moly! I am praying for Daniel.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013