Page 68 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 3204
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    And when reminiscing about great Dolphins with Duke pedigree, let's not overlook Bob Matheson.
    Very few players had an entire defensive scheme named after them. Bob did, the "53 defense". He wore #53. When he came in (before he was a starter), the 'fins were in/played a 53 defense! It had to do with adding a linebacker and how they lined up.

Later on, there was another Duke linebacker who played for the Dolphins, part of their "Killer B's" defense. All their last names started with a "B". His name escapes me right now, but after the editing time limit expires I'll probably think of it...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Very few players had an entire defensive scheme named after them. Bob did, the "53 defense". He wore #53. When he came in (before he was a starter), the 'fins were in/played a 53 defense! It had to do with adding a linebacker and how they lined up.

Later on, there was another Duke linebacker who played for the Dolphins, part of their "Killer B's" defense. All their last names started with a "B". His name escapes me right now, but after the editing time limit expires I'll probably think of it...
    Biddle?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

It was pass rushing linebacker Charles Bowser, #56. Fast off the edge and pressured/sacked a lot of QBs in his short NFL career.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It was pass rushing linebacker Charles Bowser, #56. Fast off the edge and pressured/sacked a lot of QBs in his short NFL career.
    Yes, Charles Bowser!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Bob "Boone" Matheson was a pretty nice guy and a heck of a football player. At Duke besides playing defense he was also a half back. I ran into him at Duke Hospital the week after Duke got waxed at Notre Dame, 64 - zip in 1966. It think it was Ara Parseghian's first year at ND. Bob told me that the ND third string guard was the best college player Bob had played against, except for the first and second stringers who played in front of him. But the best part of that memory is that the following Saturday Duke went to Chapel Hill and mashed the baby blue smurfs by more than 2 TD's. I have not checked, but i think uncch might have been favored. Duke had a couple of turnovers late in the game which were wonderful. Best part, though, was walking out of Kenan to our car and listening to a couple of baby blues also walking to the parking lot. For two or three minutes, once of them said over and over to the other, "Damn! Damn, damn, damn! Just damn!" it was a really uplifting reverie.

Glad Daniel deserves a thread about him!

(J/k — learning a lot the last few days)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I was thinking of another great Duke linebacker, Dick Biddle. He played at Duke in the late 1960s and into 1970. Dick was 3rd team all-american his senior year and All ACC linebacker that same season. He's on the All-Century team at Duke. He and Leo Hart, QB were team captains. That team went 5-2 in conference and 6-5 overall. Other players on that team were, WR, Wes Chesson, Running back, Steve Jones and great corner back/return man, Ernie Jackson. That Duke team played at #1 Ohio State and lost 34-10 but beat #11 West Virginia on the road. More that those two wins, Duke won at Cheatville, 59-34 and I think this might have been the shoe string play, but I could be wrong. After going undrafted in 1971, Biddle played Canadian Football until breaking his leg. After his pro days were over, he went on to become head coach at Colgate, where he had an overall record of 137-73 and a conference record was 78-26. He retired in 2013.

Now back to "Danny Boy Jones".

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Duke won at Cheatville, 59-34 and I think this might have been the shoe string play, but I could be wrong.
    The shoe string game was at Wallace Wade Stadium in 1969. Duke won 17-13.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks my Duke friend. I thought the play won the game for Duke and wasn't a blow out.

Back in the days before ultra secrecy in practices. Friend of mine ran around the WW track several times watching them practice that play.

59-34 may have been the score of the swan song for Leo and Wes. We were on the losing end of that one in Chapaheeya. Unfortunately, I was there.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

That was bitter sweet to me...I'd rather Hart and Chesson have beaten them 55-20 with an aerial blitz......but I'll take what I can get I suppose...

Monday Night Football: DJ versus Mahomes.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Monday Night Football: DJ versus Mahomes.
    I prefer to see it as DJ versus Noah Gray. One former Blue Devil will come out with a win on MNF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I prefer to see it as DJ versus Noah Gray. One former Blue Devil will come out with a win on MNF.
    If it's the Giants, then two will. (Skura)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

hah, touche...not sure the natty media will see it that way...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If it's the Giants, then two will. (Skura)
    Shame on me for forgetting Skura.

And note that the other New York team has three former Blue Devils, Crowder, Carter and long snapper Thomas Hennessy. Is New York big enough to handle that much talent?

Shame on me for forgetting Skura.

And note that the other New York team has three former Blue Devils, Crowder, Carter and long snapper Thomas Hennessy. Is New York big enough to handle that much talent?
    Add in RJ on the Knicks, Kyrie on the Nets, Stroman on the Mets and Sean Davis on the Red Bulls and it is the glory days of Duke in NY sports.

I am asking in all seriousness not to sidetrack this into a Kyrie discussion - I was just being thorough.

Really bad interception by Jones on his first attempt

After the NYG defense gets an interception in their own end zone for a touchback in Kansas City on Monday Night Football, Daniel Jones just threw it right back to KC for an interception on the NYG’s offense’s 2nd play.

Yikes …