Page 14 of 161 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    A friend says the key to happiness is a good gal and a great dog (w/ the dog being more important) ...
    A got a dog for my wife a few years back …

Best trade I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Love that Jone's had the best selling jersey this week in the entire NFL...hasn't played a single official play. Nothing like playing in the league's biggest market!
    I thought he played a couple of minutes at the end of the first game... But YES... best selling jersey at this point in time... very cool

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    His salary is $11.5, so about $10MM left.
    Yup, Giants have already played $11.7 mil in various bonuses. It does make Eli a lot more appealing as a trade target, assuming anyone wants to trade for him. That said, it is worth noting that Eli is in the last year of his contract so a team would (in theory) be giving up a draft pick -- a young player on a rookie contract -- for a guy who will play this season and then be a free agent. I doubt there is much of a market for him.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Thanks for posting! Very classy by Brown....self deprecating and seemingly 100% sincere about pulling for DJ. But it is uncanny:

6-5 QB
    Duke
    Comically un-flashy names
    Replacing long timer in NY

FWIW, I always thought Brown might have been the best passer Duke ever had. I'm not sure why it didn't work in NY, I just know when he was slinging it, that one year he started most of the year, I was more optimistic about Duke's offense than I've ever been. He made Clarkston Hines into a star. And memo to Steve Spurrier: don't yank Brown for the bowl game....(too late)

Thanks for posting! Very classy by Brown...self deprecating and seemingly 100% sincere about pulling for DJ. But it is uncanny:

6-5 QB
    Duke
    Comically un-flashy names
    Replacing long timer in NY

FWIW, I always thought Brown might have been the best passer Duke ever had. I'm not sure why it didn't work in NY, I just know when he was slinging it, that one year he started most of the year, I was more optimistic about Duke's offense than I've ever been. He made Clarkston Hines into a star. And memo to Steve Spurrier: don't yank Brown for the bowl game...(too late)
    The parallels were repeated over and over again after draft night: physical characteristics, similar type names, the school (obviously), and, unfortunately, the history of Dave here in New York.

This article just seemed to put it all together from Dave’s perspective. I was especially struck by his communication with DJ’s father after the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That said, it is worth noting that Eli is in the last year of his contract so a team would (in theory) be giving up a draft pick -- a young player on a rookie contract -- for a guy who will play this season and then be a free agent.
    Quite a few of the teams with QB issues, if they were even interested, would have to give up more than a guy on a rookie contract to clear cap space for him.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Love that Jone's had the best selling jersey this week in the entire NFL...hasn't played a single official play. Nothing like playing in the league's biggest market!
    Jones played Week 1, completed a couple short passes before running and fumbling the ball.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jones played Week 1, completed a couple short passes before running and fumbling the ball.
    this is the #1 reason i wish he had more time to ride the pine before getting the call up. as an NFL starter, you simply do that (especially in NY...) and it's been a troubling trend since the pre-season.

If he protects the ball, I have no worries about his passing ability.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Quite a few of the teams with QB issues, if they were even interested, would have to give up more than a guy on a rookie contract to clear cap space for him.
    The injury to Big Ben forced me to get another backup QB for my fantasy team.

Mr. Jones and Meeeee!! We're gonna be big stars...

Apologies to Counting Crows.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post

No, your apologies to Billy Paul. Counting Crows cover version is a pale imitation at best.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No, your apologies to Billy Paul. Counting Crows cover version is a pale imitation at best.
    While both are great songs, I always thought that the C. Crows version refers to Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man."

Well, something is happening
    but you don't know what it is
    do you, Mr. Jones?

("I want to be Bob Dylan . . . .")

Note, the Beatles reference this song as well in "Yer Blues":

The eagle picks my eye
    the worm he licks my bone
    I feel so suicidal
    Just like Dylan's Mr. Jones

Mr. Jones and Meeeee!!
    My grandson is starting DJ on his fantasy team this weekend.
    Bob Green

Oh, my sweet, sweet summer child.

I hope he goes play action on his first snap and heaves a bomb over the top past an unsuspecting corner.

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    I hope he goes play action on his first snap and heaves a bomb over the top past an unsuspecting corner.
    I’m hoping for bubble screens. Y’know, for old time’s sake.

I would if I didn't have Lamar Jackson already.

Well, I'd probably still wait a couple weeks if I was being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m hoping for bubble screens. Y’know, for old time’s sake.
    This is an underrated comment.

Story re: DJ getting start at Charlotte Latin: https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/09/in...arting-qb.html

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    While both are great songs, I always thought that the C. Crows version refers to Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man."

Well, something is happening
    but you don't know what it is
    do you, Mr. Jones?

("I want to be Bob Dylan . . . .")

Note, the Beatles reference this song as well in "Yer Blues":

The eagle picks my eye
    the worm he licks my bone
    I feel so suicidal
    Just like Dylan's Mr. Jones
    Hmm, did you come under the sway of any postmodern sophistry at Duke back in the day? https://www.chronicle.com/article/A-...Thinker/127464

It might just be a song about going out with Mr. Jones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Jo...ng_Crows_song)

Some believe the song is a veiled reference to the protagonist of Bob Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man",[6] based on the lyric "I wanna be Bob Dylan, Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky." According to Adam Duritz on VH1 Storytellers, "It's really a song about my friend Marty and I. We went out one night to watch his dad play, his dad was a Flamenco guitar player who lived in Spain (David Serva), and he was in San Francisco in the mission playing with his old Flamenco troupe. And after the gig we all went to this bar called the New Amsterdam in San Francisco on Columbus."[7]

In a 2013 interview, Duritz explained that even though the song is named for his friend Marty Jones, it is actually about Duritz himself. "I wrote a song about me, I just happened to be out with him that night," Duritz said. The inspiration for the song came as Duritz and Jones were drunk at a bar after watching Jones' father perform ...