Page 19 of 161 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That may be the nicest thing anyone has said about Jameis in a long time.

Meanwhile, this NYPost column uses Danny Dimes but also debuts another nickname: The Danchise.
    Fantastic, love hearing the local take!

This is NY. They’ll turn on him eventually when he fumbles and it costs them a win. Didn’t see highlights but curious if the second fumble was like the first?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This is NY. They’ll turn on him eventually when he fumbles and it costs them a win. Didn’t see highlights but curious if the second fumble was like the first?
    Saw the highlights only once, but IIRC the 2nd one was not like the first, for which he could have had better pocket awareness and better hold on the ball. The second one, however, it looked like he was in a throwing motion, and you'd have to look at the replay to see if the arm was moving forward - it was close (based on a glance of the highlights).

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Depends on how much goodwill capital he's put in the fickle fan opinion vault before then...Eli wasn't turned on until he had 2-3 mediocre seasons in a row...because he had built up a lot of capital. Right now he's given the fan base a lot of hope, something missing for 3-4 years. He has some leeway for a mess up.

Meanwhile, this NYPost column uses Danny Dimes but also debuts another nickname: The Danchise.
    Hate both of these nicknames. The latter reminds me of the nickname bestowed in Mark Sanchez ("the Sanchise") - and we know how that turned out...(as a Jets fan, I know all too well...)

How about calling him just "DJ", or, God forbid, "Daniel"

I only watched the highlights, but can those who watched the game confirm that the NY Giants' receivers were more open -- that is, got better separation -- than Daniel's receivers at Duke?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I only watched the highlights, but can those who watched the game confirm that the NY Giants' receivers were more open -- that is, got better separation -- than Daniel's receivers at Duke?
    Our problem was not making the more difficult grabs and outright drops on easy ones moreso than separation.

It's probably also a take on "Sanchise", what they called Mark Sanchez when he was a top pick of the Jets and was their starter earlier on. More like Serby (the writer) trying too hard to come up with another nickname.

LOL, I watched most of the game and, YES, the Giants' receivers were, for the most part, MORE OPEN than his Duke receivers. And, also, the Giants' receivers seemed to have "stickier" hands when the ball was thrown in their vicinity. However, like at Duke, there were many plays where DJ was pressured almost from the snap by the Tampa Bay rushers and he did not have much time to establish his position in the pocket (which makes his overall performance even more impressive!).

https://nypost.com/cover/covers-for-...ember-23-2019/

I don't know if anyone has linked today's NY Post front page?

Particularly impressive doing it yesterday with Barkley leaving so early, but with him out for (at least) the next few weeks, defenses are certainly going to be able to focus on making life hard for Jones. Nothing comes easy.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    All those so called "experts" that said Daniel could not play with the big boys? Take that!!
    It was always a massive overreaction on draft day (including by Duke fans, too, unfortunately), and "let's see it play out" was always the prudent approach (and still is, of course!). A good NFL QB is worth much more than the overall #6 pick, and "let's see it play out" as to whether Daniel Jones is a good NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Another observation:given the demographics, it's likely that Daniel Jones has more fans now than Zion...
    Hmm, you don't have to be a resident of or have a connection to New Orleans to be a fan of Zion, though. I would say it's probable Zion had millions of fans already before being drafted, and those Zions fans are now additionally Pelican fans.

Brief SI article on Danny that includes a couple priceless video montages of Giants fans going totally insane on draft day when they took him #6. The main point of the article is this:

This is a day to remember that nobody knows anything about sports and that's why sports are great.

It's also a day to remember just how insane the reaction was to Jones getting picked sixth overall by New York. EVERYBODY thought it was bizarre that the Giants would take him so high. There was nobody on the other side of the debate.

-Jason "warning: above video contains some NSFW audio" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Brief SI article on Danny that includes a couple priceless video montages of Giants fans going totally insane on draft day when they took him #6. The main point of the article is this:

-Jason "warning: above video contains some NSFW audio" Evans
    THe biggest thing the article got wrong:

"there was nobody on the other side of the debate"
    April 1

It was a real combination of factors. On some plays, the receivers were open. But DJ also hit them in stride, or in places that allowed them to make plays after the catch. Some receivers made great catches (Evan Engram made a few, including a one handed catch). Sterling Shepard's TD catch was a combination of a great throw (basically over two defenders to the side of the end zone) and a great catch by Shepard to get it and get a knee down in bounds. For the most part, DJ was on target, receivers made some tough catches, they also made some plays after the catch. The main thing everyone talked about was his poise, nothing seemed to bother him, he stood tall in the pocket, taking many hard shots and making plays while getting drilled a few times, and seemed to make the right reads most of the time. Also, he moved around well and took off a few times for first downs/touch downs, something Manning just can't do (either now or in his prime - just not part of his skill set). He really looked comfortable in there, and the team seemed to really respond to him. You could see it after plays and on the side line. I joked that DJ's time at Duke prepared him to play behind an inconsistent line and less consistent/talented receivers, so he was well prepared to play the Giants.

As for the local media/fan response, it's amazing. A lot of mea culpas by people, fans calling in either apologizing or calling out people for their post-draft reactions. They are all talking about how basically he has given Giant fans hope, etc., regardless of how the season actually turns out. They all feel like they have their franchise quarterback. Of course, there is a lot of overreacting to yesterday as well in that it's one game, let's see how it plays out going forward. I actually looked on twitter during and after the game. It was pretty funny with the love and reaction. In any case, he's about another win or two away from owning NY, which is amazing. I bet if he threw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium now, he'd get a standing ovation. I say this all the time, but good for him. To be able to handle the post-draft reaction, he did nothing but change people's opinion through his hard work at camp, good play in camp/preseason, and now in the real game. Good for him. Hope he keeps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    THe biggest thing the article got wrong:

"there was nobody on the other side of the debate"
    Pretty sure they meant "in the media" which was basically true for at least the first couple days. Gradually a few people calmed down and made a case for "let's wait and see", but hardly anyone in the media was like "yes, that was a good pick". Even people who thought DJ would be a good QB thought it was a bad pick because they could have gotten him later (which turns out to maybe not have been true).

Obviously there was someone​ on the other side of the debate or the Giants wouldn't have picked him.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Particularly impressive doing it yesterday with Barkley leaving so early, but with him out for (at least) the next few weeks, defenses are certainly going to be able to focus on making life hard for Jones. Nothing comes easy.
    Yesterday was a good one to get used to his absence, he's out for a month or two.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/saquon-...153936818.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

How 'bout Dan-o-mite! Or Kid Dan-o-mite! I like this clip because Daniel's number is 8 (listen close at the beginning):

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    LOL, I watched most of the game and, YES, the Giants' receivers were, for the most part, MORE OPEN than his Duke receivers. And, also, the Giants' receivers seemed to have "stickier" hands when the ball was thrown in their vicinity. However, like at Duke, there were many plays where DJ was pressured almost from the snap by the Tampa Bay rushers and he did not have much time to establish his position in the pocket (which makes his overall performance even more impressive!).
    So I would conclude that Daniel's Duke experience was good preparation for his NY debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Hmm, you don't have to be a resident of or have a connection to New Orleans to be a fan of Zion, though. I would say it's probable Zion had millions of fans already before being drafted, and those Zions fans are now additionally Pelican fans.
    I thought I read that Zion had over a million followers on Twitter BEFORE he even committed to Duke, including folks like LeBron. I agree with you, the dude was a superstar in high school.

DJ, not so much. The New York press is fickle, and it's a good thing that DJ has a level head AFAIK. Gonna be a roller-coaster.